PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a first lathe

lithro
19th September 2016, 12:11 PM
Hi
I was hoping for some direction and advice.
I just purchased a Carbatec mini lathe, i bit the bullet after months of debating. The reasoning behind getting a new entry level lathe was that i do not have such great mechanical skills that i could trust myself to fix a second hand one.
In school i had a design project that i turned, so i am familiar with the safety, centering and basic tool usage. Now I was hoping someone could point out a few things for me.
So the speed adjustment involves changing the gear that the belt sits on. I have tried rounding some Beech on the lowest speed setting (largest gear). This worked okay, it was slow. It caught a couple of times and the 1/2 HP motor didnt have the grunt to push it.
Where would a novice start speed wise, or should i just fiddle about and feel out each consecutive gear?

The second possible error i made in my purchase (other than not being allowed to spend $1,500 on a better lathe) is that i purchased the miniature tool collection (https://www.carbatec.com.au/woodturning/chisels-and-lathe-tools/wood-turning-chisel-sets/chisel-set-hss-3pce-wooden-box)
So I have my concerns about the length and functionality of these, they are about 30cm long. At the time i did purchase a Hamlet spindle guage that is a safer length. Oddly enough the factory edge on the hamlet is terrible.
I was hoping someone could suggest how best to sharpen using stones. All the youtube videos i have looked at are using a bench grinder.

Thats the tool side of things, but just playing with a skew and spindle is hypnotic.

My desire is to turn bowl, and given the limitation of the swing of the lathe some what size limited at that. I will be trying to make a wood face plate to glue to. I have titebond and some other glues, but the majority of tutorials i have watched all use hot glue, is this subjective? How much torque does the joint need to withstand?

And i know reading this has become a feat similar to of War and Peace. But i wanted to ask if one wanted to buy bowl blanks in sydney is trend timbers (often overpriced but i havent had a bad experience) the place to go? Or should i wait for the wood show to stock up?

Lastly, i was visiting some family out Nowra way and after their last bunch of fencing they had a lot of 200mm round straight branches from Bloodwoods, How will this turn?

Thanks for reading and any advice or suggestions will be gladly accepted.

chucky
19th September 2016, 01:57 PM
Hi Lithro, Whilst reading you post I can see you have several areas that you should address, MY advise would be to join a Woodturning Club where the members are willing to teach, advise or show you the different aspects of turning and what is required. There are several Clubs in Sydney area you can contact or visit,
Good luck

CHUCKY

lithro
20th September 2016, 11:44 AM
Thanks mate, after having a bit of a hunt the western sydney turners seem to a good call. Hopefully i dont lose an eye trying to fiddle about before then.

DonIncognito
20th September 2016, 01:44 PM
People use bench grinders for sharpening for a reason. Like with all woodworking, having sharp tools helps a lot, and its commonplace to be sharpening each tool several times in a turn session, depending on how dense the wood is. Doing that with stones would be tedious to say the least.

hughie
20th September 2016, 07:39 PM
Given all that you have said, joining a club is a must I think. But the up side is that the wood turning community is very helpful to all and sundry. :) Also there could be an opportunity to get tools and accessories at a good price, as many times members offer the odd tool thats not used to the newbies at mates rates. :2tsup:
Sharpen, yup you will need a grinder and a jig to accurately sharpen your tools, plus instructions etc, and if you dont have a bandsaw as yet, put that on the list to.
Miniature tool set, probably isn't ideal, but then it does depend what you want to turn. Plus given that the lathe is small so it wont be a hassle at this stage. Just go with what you have and makle the best of it, experience will indicate over time whats required.
As a matter of interest the lathe cost is always the smallest cost over time :U even if you spend a great deal more than the 1500. The only difference is its done over time and so less noticeable.

At this stage its all about getting good help and developing your experience safely, lathes can be dangerous when the operator is unfamiliar with them.

lithro
21st September 2016, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the replies, picking up a bench grinder and jig this weekend.
The current question that is bothering me: Is there an large difference between the cutting style or use of different guages? Is it a mortal sin to hollow something with a spindle or part with a skew?
Thanks guys again, any words are encouraging and helpful.

NCArcher
21st September 2016, 02:00 PM
Is it a mortal sin to hollow something with a spindle or part with a skew?

Yes. It may be mortal as it is unsafe.
A spindle gouge doesn't have the support under the flute to project far from the rest.
A skew tapers from the point and will bind and grab in the parting. There are reasons why we have the different tools and can't have a one tool does all.

hughie
21st September 2016, 06:14 PM
Yes. It may be mortal as it is unsafe.
A spindle gouge doesn't have the support under the flute to project far from the rest.
A skew tapers from the point and will bind and grab in the parting. There are reasons why we have the different tools and can't have a one tool does all.

Follow this advice as if your life depends on it.

hughie
21st September 2016, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the replies, picking up a bench grinder and jig this weekend.
The current question that is bothering me: Is there an large difference between the cutting style or use of different guages? Is it a mortal sin to hollow something with a spindle or part with a skew?
Thanks guys again, any words are encouraging and helpful.

Hollow with bowl gouges
Make legs etc with spindle gouges
Use skews on spindles

Join a club asap as your asking questions that indicate you need some basic training on the tools etc. In many instances using these tools in the wrong way or for the wrong purpose will draw blood, yours! At a minimum.

chucky
21st September 2016, 07:01 PM
Hi once again Lithro, As I mentioned earlier go and join a club ASAP before you dig yourself into a hole, or even injure yourself. You have purchased a lathe and mini chisels which is only the start of woodturning. but like a baby you have to crawl before you can walk, go and join the club you mentioned earlier ask as many questions and be shown and taught the basics and all the different aspects involved with wood turning. As a past president of a club I can say there is a wealth of knowledge ect. with in the club you will not find in books or on the internet.

lithro
22nd September 2016, 12:09 AM
I dont know what happened to my last post, but the long and short is i have shot an email to them. Hoping to organise a beginner's class. Thanks for the concern and advice.

Cabeceira
22nd September 2016, 06:11 AM
Hi once again Lithro, As I mentioned earlier go and join a club ASAP before you dig yourself into a hole, or even injure yourself. You have purchased a lathe and mini chisels which is only the start of woodturning. but like a baby you have to crawl before you can walk, go and join the club you mentioned earlier ask as many questions and be shown and taught the basics and all the different aspects involved with wood turning. As a past president of a club I can say there is a wealth of knowledge ect. with in the club you will not find in books or on the internet.

. club will really help him
I think its your 2nd warning.. and I agree with you

Christos
22nd September 2016, 02:07 PM
The questions you have posted are quite varied. I would also suggest that joining a wood turning club. Before I started turning I was fortunate enough to get basic tool usage from one of the forum members. I also joined the Eastern Wood Turners which are part of the Sydney Wood Turners Guild. There are a number of affiliated clubs around Sydney.

Personally I think Youtube is a lovely resource for creativity and when people share their projects. The concern I have is when I watch a video and I see something that is risky. Then a new turners comes to the hobby and experiences something not expected.

This is just my personal thoughts and not a very good example. I don't like hot melt glue to hold a piece on the lathe. Two reasons for this, in order to get a good bond between the pieces the glue gun has to be really hot and once they are put together you can not move them until they set.

Getting hold of wood for turning can be easy, yes i did say easy. Keep your eyes out for garbage collection days, tree being cut on someones land for what ever reason or even looking at the market section of this forum for species that are not available in your area.

Mobyturns
22nd September 2016, 09:04 PM

It is also much easier to learn which tools are appropriate for the task, and how to use them safely first off. Much more difficult, to unlearn bad habits, then start again learning correct technique.

hughie
23rd September 2016, 05:32 AM
It is also much easier to learn which tools are appropriate for the task, and how to use them safely first off. Much more difficult, to unlearn bad habits, then start again learning correct technique.

Absolutely