PDA

View Full Version : spotted red gum

jcoy
19th September 2016, 09:39 PM
Hi,
Im making a dining table using a spotted red gum slab as the top, i was wondering what wood i should use for the legs(not spotted red gum due to price)

thank you

Kidbee
20th September 2016, 09:43 AM
Hi,
Im making a dining table using a spotted red gum slab as the top, i was wondering what wood i should use for the legs(not spotted red gum due to price)

thank you

I have not heard of Spotted Red Gum in my part of Australia. Can you provide a botanical name for the species to which you are referring? Maybe a photo as well.

themage21
21st September 2016, 02:24 PM
jcoy,

Your first problem probably is that red gum and spotted gum are the common names for two pretty different timbers. Red gum also comes in at least two different varieties that have different characteristics.

If you've already bought the timber, maybe ask the person you purchased it from exactly what it was. If you haven't purchased it and the description is "spotted red gum", then I'd say they have no idea what it is and they aren't a reputable seller. As such, I'd probably call them out on it and refuse to pay the top dollar that they are asking.

What timber you use for the legs is going to depend a little on the design of the legs and and mostly on your own aesthetic desires. You could go for match or contrasting colours, grains, patterns... the list really is endless. Some designs will lend themselves towards different timbers based on structural characteristics and workability. How you want to hold it all together may also change what you use. Your chosen finishing method will also alter how the colours on the timber change, which may change your decision.

Don't forget that contrasting colours can sometimes look just as good (or better) than similar colours.

Just chucking it out there as well - if you're building a dining table, the cost of the table top timber is going to outweigh whatever you use for the legs by several factors. It'd be a shame to select a nice timber for the top, only to use something cheap/of lesser quality for the legs. Unless you're Victorian (the era of time, not the chaps too close to the pole), the legs could be a feature of the table, in fact considering so many tables live under cloths/crap/etc. the legs are more likely to be seen than anything else.

Slightly off topic, but might I suggest that you update your location details in your profile so that some other users can give you advice on services near you such as local timber merchants, possibly even users who would be willing to face to face with you to help out. We're not after your home address, but a town or suburb name can change how much people can help you immeasurably.

Euge
27th September 2016, 06:54 PM
Hi,

thank you

By "spotted red gum" do you mean River Red Gum with a birdseye figure? It often has these pimples which lead to spots when sawn.