PDA

View Full Version : Scones

Christos
21st September 2016, 12:49 PM
I have not really grown up eating scones and only have them rarely.

I thought that I might try making them to see how they turn out.

These were the first attempt they were a little flat. :U I still ate them.

These were the second attempt. They rose and a little more fluffy.

I still ate them.

The receipe was very easy to follow.

wheelinround
21st September 2016, 01:48 PM
Just like mother used to make.......Rock Cakes or mini boulders you could break your teeth on :q

At least you had a go.

You'll be serving these up at next years SWWS Christos along with home made jam n cream?:;

Lappa
21st September 2016, 02:35 PM
Did you use lemonade??

Bushmiller
21st September 2016, 06:37 PM
Christos.

I suspect that you are overworking the dough. Scones need the absolute minimum of working if they are to be light and fluffy. This is the complete opposite of bread making where you can take out your frustrations on the dough for as hard and long as you like.

If you have worked the Scone dough correctly you may have to add metal weights to stop them flying out the window when they are removed from the oven.:rolleyes:

Regards
Paul

bueller
21st September 2016, 06:43 PM
Christos.

I suspect that you are overworking the dough. Scones need the absolute minimum of working if they are to be light and fluffy. This is the complete opposite of bread making where you can take out your frustrations on the dough for as hard and long as you like.

If you have worked the Scone dough correctly you may have to add metal weights to stop them flying out the window when they are removed from the oven.:rolleyes:

Regards
Paul
My suspicion as well. I usually fold my ingredients together with a spatula till almost combined and then do the last little bit by hand.

These days I use a recipe pretty much like the one below (no sugar in mine though, that's from toppings) and they always turn out fantastic.

Light and Easy Lemonade Scones Recipe recipe | Food To Love (http://www.foodtolove.com.au/recipes/lemonade-scones-10873)

bueller
21st September 2016, 06:44 PM
Did you use lemonade??
Big +1 - it sounds weird but they can't be beat.

Lappa
22nd September 2016, 11:17 PM
I know its a popular thing now to use lemonade to help the rising but old fashioned scones aren't meant to be sweet. I use the recipe from the Commonsense Cookery Book - hmmmmm - like Granny used to make - YUMMM