PDA

View Full Version : Rivergum Bowl

Yawally
21st September 2016, 01:26 PM
First bowl from rivergum burl. Love the grain. The lid and base is made of Jarrah and painted matt black...the reason for painting was to highlight the burl itself, which I think it does. Comments welcomed.

StevoWoodi
21st September 2016, 03:30 PM
Love the work on the burl. The contrasting lid and stand are not to my taste but I am sure there are plenty of people who have the opposite view. Steve

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Brett Hammond
21st September 2016, 04:35 PM
Not so sure it is Red Gum Burl. Looks a lot like Brown Mallee Burl.

Kidbee
21st September 2016, 07:21 PM
It's good to see you are not afraid to experiment with design concepts.

smiife
21st September 2016, 08:37 PM
You paint jarrah...???......must be WA thing:o
Thats not even fair for us N .S .Welshmen:doh:

Willy Nelson
21st September 2016, 11:40 PM
The burl looks to me like:
1. York Gum Burl
2. Rib Fruited mallee
3. Concinna

IMHO
Other than that, I liked the piece, quite different and the lid does contrast nicely with the burl
Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

Christos
24th September 2016, 01:03 PM
I like the burl and foot that you have created.

I am not a big fan on the lid. If this is a small piece I would agree for adding a lid but it this is a medium to large piece I don't think it needs it. How big it the piece.

Yawally
24th September 2016, 01:54 PM
I like the burl and foot that you have created.

I am not a big fan on the lid. If this is a small piece I would agree for adding a lid but it this is a medium to large piece I don't think it needs it. How big it the piece.

The bowl is about 100mm.

Yawally
24th September 2016, 01:55 PM
Not so sure it is Red Gum Burl. Looks a lot like Brown Mallee Burl.

You could be right about that, I will check with someone who has more knowledge than myself.

artme
24th September 2016, 02:03 PM
A really interesting piece!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

NOT red gum - and I have seen plenty of them!! In fact have a few here awaiting attention!!

Toymaker Len
24th September 2016, 08:22 PM
Good piece, some sort of mallee, interesting style.

hughie
25th September 2016, 11:39 AM
Not sure what sort of finish you have there. But to help with the contrast BLO or DO and let it dry thoroughly before continuing. This will darken up the burl and high light the grain. Then you perhaps could go with out the black and add a clear finish to the Jarrah.
Although its quite solid looking if you tapered the sides of the feet this would lessen the blunt edge look and perhaps a more delicate finial would then balance the lot out.
But all things considered and being the first, well done. :2tsup:

Christos
25th September 2016, 04:38 PM
The bowl is about 100mm.

Then the lid would suit. Perhaps a smaller finial.

Yawally
26th September 2016, 02:46 AM
Then the lid would suit. Perhaps a smaller finial.
Thanks Christos, my skill level for finer finials needs to be worked on. Also some more tools would help.

Yawally
26th September 2016, 02:50 AM
Not sure what sort of finish you have there. But to help with the contrast BLO or DO and let it dry thoroughly before continuing. This will darken up the burl and high light the grain. Then you perhaps could go with out the black and add a clear finish to the Jarrah.
Although its quite solid looking if you tapered the sides of the feet this would lessen the blunt edge look and perhaps a more delicate finial would then balance the lot out.
But all things considered and being the first, well done. :2tsup:
Thanks Hughie, i will put your suggestions into practice on my next effort. I agree about tapering the base sides.