PDA

View Full Version : CamBam 0.9.8 Trim Problems

electrosteam
21st September 2016, 05:44 PM
We are using Cambam on the Men's Shed Router, generally with success.

Today we ran a job that failed because of a CAD drawing error in that the internal radius of a curve for a pocket was too small with resultant tool paths having jagged edges.
Just why this was so is a problem to be investigated separately.

We edited the drawing in Cambam and could draw new larger radius curves Ok, but could not trim the lines to form a tangent to the new curves.

Does CamBam 0.9.8 have a Bug in the Trim command, or do we simply have to work harder at understanding how to do this ?

John

GeoffW1
21st September 2016, 11:24 PM
Hi,

Wanting to know myself, I had a go at this. I drew 2 straight lines at a angle to each other, but not joining. Then I drew an arc between and also could not trim the lines back to a tangent point.

I got it to work by joining the end points with another polyline, selected all 3, used the Join command to make one polyline, then the Fillet command, and it worked. The 3rd polyline disappeared. You can't select the radius though, because that follows from having a tangent join.

Does that offer a way out?

Cheers

Geoff

electrosteam
22nd September 2016, 08:39 AM
Geoff,
Thanks, quite right.
I played around a bit last night and discovered you need a closed path to enable the distinction between inside [I] and outside [O] to be made.

But, our copy of CamBam running on a Windows 7 laptop freezes up without an error message or indication of poor input and cannot be rescued with ESC if the element selected is not a closed path.

John

GeoffW1
22nd September 2016, 11:30 AM
Hi,

Likewise my copy, which is fully licensed. I confess to getting the above trick from the CamBam forum which lists several little foibles like that

CamBam - Index (http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php)

Cheers

Geoff