PDA

View Full Version : File case

q9
22nd September 2016, 02:17 PM
Just a quick and dirty afternoon project.

Marking out:

Simple stitching and clips:

Trimmed and finished:

It was probably too much effort for a $4 set of files, but I just cannot stand the sound or thought of them rubbing against each other. Next time I think I will just use a few small rivets instead of stitching. No need for overkill.

q9
22nd September 2016, 02:25 PM
Probably should add that I gave about 5 mm extra on each slot on the top piece so there would be enough room to slip the tools in without over stretching or stressing the stitching. And I didn't run the stitching to the bottom for much the same reason. less likely for small things to get jammed in the bottom too. Just a bit of trial and error with a couple of clamps to figure out what worked ok.

NCArcher
22nd September 2016, 04:12 PM
Nice work Q.
Stitching looks good. I'm about half way round my glasses case.

q9
22nd September 2016, 04:47 PM
Thanks. I don't have a pony, can see they'd be a useful thing. Can't justify forking over near $200 they are asking for them here. A couple of bits of scrap and a long bolt with wing nut...

To put it in perspective I just bought an entire lounge with fold down arm and back, removable and washable cover for...about $200. See below.

Someone is having a lend asking that for some bits of wood. Will put one together when I am suitably motivated.

NCArcher
22nd September 2016, 05:36 PM
Mine is nothing special. Took me about an hour to make with hand tools and scrap wood. I did buy the bolts and wing nuts. So probably $3 outlay :U
Make stitching 100 times easier.

q9
22nd September 2016, 11:56 PM
That looks remarkably like the ones they sell here, but the bought ones don't have a swivel base. Nice addition.

I just had a thought, how would a quick clamp go rather than a bolt...?

NCArcher
23rd September 2016, 02:29 AM
You need to minimise stuff for the thread to get caught on. I tend to squeeze with my hand then spin the wingnut tight. I've found that the pressure needs to vary a bit depending on what you're sewing. I'll try replacing the wingnut with a cam clamp thingy.