PDA

View Full Version : Mystery vintage thicknesser identification and advice please

MarkOC
22nd September 2016, 08:48 PM
I have just joined and need a bit of help. Thanks.

ID part.
I recently bought this at auction for cheap, 12" cut, all cast iron and heavy as hell.
Can't find any names on it other than the brass plaques on the motor.
I have trawled google image search but couldn't seen anything that was a close match.
Thinking it is early 1950's Au or UK built but the motor has a 1936 date on it.

Advice part.
The belts are rotten and need replacing - how /where do i source new ones?
Both blades have a large nick where someone has found a nail - where would I go to get them sharpened?
What do I have to check on the motor before plugging it in?

Located Morisset NSW if that matters.
Thanks
Mark

PJM16
22nd September 2016, 10:06 PM
That's certainly a nice looking machine, sorry I can't help with an ID. As for the blades, take them to a saw sharpening service, if they can't sharpen them for you, they should at least be able to point you in the right direction.

Lappa
22nd September 2016, 10:32 PM
Some information in Trove re Warburton Franki. Warburton Franki were the distributors of Brooks Electric Motors up until 1980 so probably they are just the motor supplier?

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1300&dat=19801117&id=C_RUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=a5IDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6010,173759&hl=en

elanjacobs
22nd September 2016, 11:36 PM
This mob should be able to sort out belts if you take one in BSC | Bearing and Power Transmission Solutions (http://www.bsc.com.au/) they have a branch in Cardiff

MarkOC
22nd September 2016, 11:43 PM
This mob should be able to sort out belts if you take one in BSC | Bearing and Power Transmission Solutions (http://www.bsc.com.au/) they have a branch in Cardiff

Thank you, exactly the info I needed!

MarkOC
22nd September 2016, 11:53 PM
[QUOTE=Lappa;1978157]Some information in Trove re Warburton Franki. Warburton Franki were the distributors of Brooks Electric Motors up until 1980 so probably they are just the motor supplier?

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1300&dat=19801117&id=C_RUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=a5IDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6010,173759&hl=en[/QUOTE

Thanks, I did some research before asking here and concluded that Warburton Franki only did electrics not machinery.

lightwood
23rd September 2016, 12:21 AM
looks like a PREMO, NSW.
a few weeks ago sold on the web.
cheers,
Peter

http://www.petermcbride.com/temp/images/premo_01.jpg

http://www.petermcbride.com/temp/images/premo_02.jpg

lightwood
23rd September 2016, 12:37 AM
Here's the catalogue from around 1955 ... from Matty ... L.S.Barker1970 .... The catalogue wrangler.
Looks like yours might be a later, maybe improved in a couple of ways. Or possible made for a retailer who wanted no name on it, not even the maker.

http://www.petermcbride.com/temp/images/premo_03.jpg

bueller
23rd September 2016, 01:08 AM
Here's the catalogue from around 1955 ... from Matty ... L.S.Barker1970 .... The catalogue wrangler.
Looks like yours might be a later, maybe improved in a couple of ways. Or possible made for a retailer who wanted no name on it, not even the maker.

http://www.petermcbride.com/temp/images/premo_03.jpg
Love seeing Matty's catalogues! Looks like I need to add Premo machines to my watch list 😁

MarkOC
23rd September 2016, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the ID everyone! Mine looks more like the catalogue pic with the hinged door on the feed mech side. I found the Premo that sold in Vic, looks like mine was a steal (if it works)

lightwood
23rd September 2016, 09:55 AM
Can we see a few pictures of the cutter assembly of yours.
last night Matty and i took the top of my jeffwood Thicknesser ( very much like yours) and we tuned it up.
We thought the eBay machine might have lost a blade, and saw what we thought might have cause a nasty pant filling moment for someone!��
Peter

MarkOC
23rd September 2016, 10:11 AM
Will take some pics today and post them tonight. The ebay one looks the same as mine.
I doubt these would run if they lost a blade, they are super chunky and the head would be out of balance.

camoz
23rd September 2016, 01:50 PM
Hi Mark,

I have had pretty good success with finding belts at Wyong Bearing & Seal Co. They are a good relatively local source for bearings etc (some things they sell I find to be a good price, but others a bit expensive, so worth shopping around). If the belts are still in one piece, take them with you (even if they are just together), as this will help with getting the length.

For sharpening, I have used Dimar Direct in Tuggerah, it's been a year or so since I used them, but the guy there had a lot of experience. I have also used central coast saw sharpening in Tuggerah, but the first place seemed to have more knowledge and experience.

Sounds like your just down the road from me. I would be happy to help look the machine over with you before you try the motor, if that helps, but unfortunately I have just come home from hospital (had some unexpected surgery, so I am off my feet for the next week), but if you want a second pair of eyes, send me a PM and I will give you a call).

Cheers,

Camo

MarkOC
23rd September 2016, 07:27 PM
Can we see a few pictures of the cutter assembly of yours.
last night Matty and i took the top of my jeffwood Thicknesser ( very much like yours) and we tuned it up.
We thought the eBay machine might have lost a blade, and saw what we thought might have cause a nasty pant filling moment for someone!��
Peter

Pics as requested.
Replaced the belts today and rubbed the deck? with a scotchbrite and oil to remove some rust.
Had an even closer look over it and all I found were some numbers stamped on it.

Lappa
23rd September 2016, 07:40 PM
Is that area around the RH cutter bearing damaged or is it just the picture? I noticed it has a grease nipple for that bearing so I hope the bearing hadn't seized at some stage and damaged the bearing housing.

MarkOC
23rd September 2016, 08:22 PM
Is that area around the RH cutter bearing damaged or is it just the picture? I noticed it has a grease nipple for that bearing so I hope the bearing hadn't seized at some stage and damaged the bearing housing.

No it is just shaped like that. EDIT I am thinking it is shaped like that to get a tool into the slot on the cutter head that sets the blade height.
There are grease nipples all over it, more nipples than than you see at a nudist beach.

MarkOC
23rd September 2016, 08:28 PM
Hi Mark,

I have had pretty good success with finding belts at Wyong Bearing & Seal Co. They are a good relatively local source for bearings etc (some things they sell I find to be a good price, but others a bit expensive, so worth shopping around). If the belts are still in one piece, take them with you (even if they are just together), as this will help with getting the length.

For sharpening, I have used Dimar Direct in Tuggerah, it's been a year or so since I used them, but the guy there had a lot of experience. I have also used central coast saw sharpening in Tuggerah, but the first place seemed to have more knowledge and experience.

Sounds like your just down the road from me. I would be happy to help look the machine over with you before you try the motor, if that helps, but unfortunately I have just come home from hospital (had some unexpected surgery, so I am off my feet for the next week), but if you want a second pair of eyes, send me a PM and I will give you a call).

Cheers,

Camo

Thanks for the information Camo.
I have already sorted the belts.
I may try the place you suggest for sharpening.
I hope to at least test run it in the next week.

Lappa
23rd September 2016, 08:52 PM
No it is just shaped like that. EDIT I am thinking it is shaped like that to get a tool into the slot on the cutter head that sets the blade height.
There are grease nipples all over it, more nipples than than you see at a nudist beach.

Thats good news. Certainly looks like a solid unit. Excellent purchase.

MarkOC
23rd September 2016, 09:47 PM
There is a Premo spindle moulder on gumtree, please someone buy it so I don't...

lightwood
23rd September 2016, 09:58 PM
That cut away on the right was what I also thought might have been repaired damage, but it's the same as the other one sold recently.
Thanks,
Peter