PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne FGT - OCTOBER 2016

doug3030
24th September 2016, 11:18 PM
When is the next one people?

Was that a cue for me to announce the date for my open shed day in October? :?

Mark Sunday 23 October in your calendars. We will start mid to late morning and go into the afternoon. details of timing and so forth will be provided when we work it out. At this stage it is just a date claimer. :cool:

My shed is at Hoppers Crossing.

Cheers

Doug

Simplicity
24th September 2016, 11:34 PM
Was that a cue for me to announce the date for my open shed day in October? :?

Mark Sunday 23 October in your calendars. We will start mid to late morning and go into the afternoon. details of timing and so forth will be provided when we work it out. At this stage it is just a date claimer. :cool:

My shed is at Hoppers Crossing.

Cheers

Doug

The cue worked [emoji12]

doug3030
24th September 2016, 11:40 PM
The cue worked [emoji12]

I was about to announce the date just as Gab put his hand up to do today's one. I thought it best not to post anything about mine until his was over to avoid any confusion. :? :doh:

Congrats to Gab on a successful day. :cool::2tsup:

Cheers

Doug

Sturdee
25th September 2016, 10:23 AM
Diary date noted.

As this is close to Geelong, it would be great if all the Geelong and surrounds members came as well. Although it's called Melbourne GTG all forum members are welcome.

Peter.

kevjed
26th September 2016, 12:09 AM
23rd Of October it is then. I have a sister that lives up that way so I'll make arrangements for the kids to spend the day with her and I make an effort to show my face and get to another gathering...it has been a long time since I attended one of these.
Kevin

Hangmans Noose
26th September 2016, 01:00 PM
Unfortunately, I'll have to give this one a miss as I'm house/cat sitting during this period. I'll keep an eye out on the November GTG.

dai sensei
28th September 2016, 07:02 PM
Looks like I will have to delay my departure a little to attend, but that is not really critical, so count me in :2tsup:

Simplicity
28th September 2016, 09:29 PM
We are booked to join I think [emoji41]

doug3030
28th September 2016, 09:54 PM
I might just start a list of participants before the thread gets too long to manage the task easily, then I only have to scroll back to the most recent list and add in others as they indicate their intentions to attend.

So far we have:

Doug3030 and Jools
Kevjed
Daisensai
Simplicity and Sally

Anyone else?

Cheers

Doug

Bohdan
28th September 2016, 10:07 PM
Count me in.

Simplicity
28th September 2016, 10:24 PM
Doug,
Anyone else are they new here
Haven't seen them about lol

doug3030
28th September 2016, 10:37 PM
Doug,
Anyone else are they new here
Haven't seen them about lol

Yeah, I know what you mean. I haven't seen them either. They always say they will turn up but they never do. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the list now is expanded to:

Doug3030 and Jools
Kevjed
Daisensai
Simplicity and Sally
Bohdan

AND OF COURSE just for Simplicity:

Anyone Else :doh: :roll:

Cheers

Doug

doug3030
30th September 2016, 08:26 PM
For all those who are interested in the Melbourne Get-Togethers and specifically raising awareness of them on the forum:

Have a look at my signature below. This has changed my signature on every post I have ever made on the forums. People reading any of my posts since I joined will see THAT signature - not the one I was using at the time. :2tsup:

This is over 2000 billboards now out there promoting the October GTG. :o

If others could use their own words in their own signatures to promote the event then we would suddenly have thousands more bilboards out there in other parts of the forum where I do not post. :2tsup:

Then after my event, we spend a minute or two updating our signatures to promote the next event. :;

Just a thought. Lets make sure that everyone on the forum can find the thread if they want to.

Cheers

Doug

Kuffy
30th September 2016, 08:30 PM
LOL Doug, perhaps it was your last signature which was preventing people wanting to have anything to do with anything in Melbourne!!!!

Gabriel
30th September 2016, 08:33 PM
Heya Doug. ... I have it penciled in, and hopefully I can make it but it's the day after josh's first birthday so I may be nursing his hangover (I'm sure he will be fine by the afternoon so I can disappear for a few hours though)..

Can't wait! !

doug3030
30th September 2016, 08:48 PM
LOL Doug, perhaps it was your last signature which was preventing people wanting to have anything to do with anything in Melbourne!!!!

Well as of 2am or is that 3am Sunday morning, I officially find Melbourne TOLERABLE, until daylight saving ends in April 2017, excluding that stinking hot week in January when the tennis is on at least.

Kuffy, you have a clickable URL in your signature, I have been unable to achieve that. Do you have any helpful hints?

Cheers

Doug

Kuffy
30th September 2016, 08:57 PM
edit signature page:

just paste the link in the box and that will give a link which displays the full URL address as the link, or you can type something like

Click Here

and then select that text and click the "LINK" button (looks like the world with an infinity symbol) and then paste the link in the box and hit ok and that will make the CLICK HERE a clickable link

doug3030
30th September 2016, 09:17 PM
then select that text and click the "LINK" button (looks like the world with an infinity symbol) and then paste the link in the box and hit ok and that will make the CLICK HERE a clickable link

Thanks Kuffy, option 2 worked. I had been using option 1 which was not working but should have. I was trying so hard to find out why option 1 was not working I did not consider option 2. Now all is good. :2tsup:

If I could click thanks twice for the same post you would get one for helping me out with the URL and another for posting the link to the GTG in your signature. :)

Cheers

Doug

Sturdee
30th September 2016, 09:27 PM
Have a look at my signature below. This has changed my signature on every post I have ever made on the forums. People reading any of my posts since I joined will see THAT signature - not the one I was using at the time. :2tsup:

I suppose I'll have to alter my settings to allow signatures to show. Never felt the need to see them before. :U

Peter.

doug3030
30th September 2016, 09:31 PM
I suppose I'll have to alter my settings to allow signatures to show. Never felt the need to see them before. :U

Peter.

Thanks Peter. Nearly 8000 advertisements for the GTG just from your amazing post count alone :oo: That is AWESOME thanks :2tsup:

Cheers

Doug

Sturdee
30th September 2016, 09:53 PM
Heya Doug. ... I have it penciled in, and hopefully I can make it but it's the day after josh's first birthday so I may be nursing his hangover (I'm sure he will be fine by the afternoon so I can disappear for a few hours though)..

Can't wait! !

I hope you can make it, same as I will try to make it, for I have a bone to pick with you. :U

After the casting day at my place with Neil a few years back I was able to resist the urge to get into casting but after the last meeting at your place I got hooked and this week I bought a pressure pot from Supercheap so I can make more then the simple lighthouse lights. :2tsup:

Will have to do a lot of reading now to understand what to do.

Peter.

Gabriel
30th September 2016, 10:47 PM
I hope you can make it, same as I will try to make it, for I have a bone to pick with you. :U

After the casting day at my place with Neil a few years back I was able to resist the urge to get into casting but after the last meeting at your place I got hooked and this week I bought a pressure pot from Supercheap so I can make more then the simple lighthouse lights. :2tsup:

Will have to do a lot of reading now to understand what to do.

Peter.

Excellent.... just means I'll have someone else to share my failures with (I aim high)..
I found big sheds conversion thread the best to follow re setting up the tank....

Won't hijack this thread anymore.... Hopefully see uu in hoppers!!

Chief Tiff
30th September 2016, 11:43 PM
Can't attend but willing to help advertise!

issatree
1st October 2016, 01:12 AM
Hi Doug & Others,
All things being equal, I think I can make this day of yours.
Is there any Show & Tell or a bit of work being done, bring our own food & drink ?
Regards,
Lewis.

doug3030
1st October 2016, 11:53 AM
All things being equal, I think I can make this day of yours.

:2tsup:

Is there any Show & Tell

I do not want to put any attendees under any pressure to feel they must bring something, but anyone is of course welcome to bring along anything they like (within reason of course) for informal show and tell/conversation starters. :cool:

or a bit of work being done,

Possibly. I have a 21 inch bandsaw and some logs that are overdue for milling. I also have a bad back which makes it difficult. If any able-bodied attendees want to help out with some bandsaw milling their help would be appreciated. :wink:

Other logs/branches may be subjected to reshaping (or abuse) at the hand of my new Arbortech toys I got at the Melbourne TWW show.

BYO hearing protection/safety glasses/respirators etc for participants and observers. :;

bring our own food & drink ?

I liked the way Dave TTC handled the food situation at his GTG near Horsham. I will provide the food and put out a donation tin. People can contribute if they want and however much they want. Nobody will be taking notes on who does and does not contribute. No pressure on anyone who cannot afford it. Please let me know of any special dietary requirements. (nobody try to tell me they are on a lobster diet or anything similar - yes I am talking to you Simplicity)

Some basic drinks will be provided on the same basis but feel free to BYO as well. If you choose to bring alcohol that is ok in moderation but if you have consumed alcohol, do not expect to be allowed to play with any of the toys that are sharper than a mallet.

If you are a smoker, please be aware that asthma sufferers live here. It is also a condition of our lease that nobody smokes within the boundaries of the property, including the yard. The good news is that if you walk down our driveway and turn right it is a short 15 metre walk and you are in open parkland. Here you can smoke to your heart's and lungs' content. You could probably even burst into flames if you so desire without causing too much damage.

BYO folding chairs if you have them. If the event gets big I may ask if someone can bring a folding table or two. :2tsup:

Cheers

Doug

Simplicity
1st October 2016, 06:21 PM
If I may just had a few of my own points Doug.
I personally have no problems putting any attendees or hosts on notice that because I may have started all this sigesaenings(can't spell)
I have no problems excepting gifts of money, tools, or exotic timber,or tradable goats or camels, please no children they disturb me to much.

I remember a certain individual who I won't name(starts with D has a gtg early next year likes Cowboys and turning).
Also suddenly needed some help around the shed at his last gtg.
One poor guy from Sydney is still suffering shed issues because said shed needed cleaning.

There's no need to single me out individual Doug due only to my standing and expectations in the community regarding my taste in fine food and beverages.
Tho I'm sure you and Julie's will be the most delightful hosts.
But we will bring something eatable any way.

Sally is still deciding weather she will go the champagne option or using the power tools.
I've got 10000000/1 the champagne will win out on that one.

If you need some tables just sing out.

Right I think I've vent enough
Carry on has you were [emoji849][emoji849][emoji849]

Cheers Matt

fletty
1st October 2016, 07:34 PM
I've been plotting a trip "later in the year" to possibly visit Keith_1, Repliconics, my wood turning honourary son :; and a few other forum notables so I'll start getting serious and see if I can link in the 23rd?

fletty

doug3030
9th October 2016, 11:30 AM
OK 2 weeks to go.

I thought I would post an update while I wait for Bathurst to kick off.

Shed opens at 11:00am. Entry is through the gate on the left side of the house. Follow the driveway to the undercover area behind the house, bringing your folding chairs if you have any. We will have enough seating for those who cannot bring their own.

BBQ lunch available from 12:00pm to 1:30pm (timings not rigid here, If you do not get here until 2:00pm and want lunch you will be ok)

We will be providing food and basic soft drinks. There will be a donation tin for those who wish to contribute to the expenses incurred but there is no pressure on anyone to contribute. Nobody will be keeping notes on who contributes or how much. If you can't afford a donation have a feed on us and do not be embarrassed.

After lunch we can play with some of the toys. Don't forget to bring your own eye, ear and respiratory protection even if just spectating.

Bring something for show and tell if you want or timber to swap, even surplus tools to trade away. Anything you think fellow woodies might be interested in. Tales, both tall and true are most welcome.

Confirmed Attendees:

Doug3030 and Jools
Kevjed
Daisensai
Simplicity and Sally
Bohdan
A mystery guest who shall remain nameless

Expressed interest but not committed yet:

Gabriel
Sturdee
Issatree
Fletty

You are welcome to bring you wife or girlfriend (but not both, because they will either fight or make the rest of us jealous). Kids welcome but will be your responsibility to keep them out of trouble.

It would be good if I can have attendances finalized by Friday 21 October for catering purposes, along with any specific dietary requirements.

Looking forward to a great day

Doug

robert brown
9th October 2016, 11:50 PM
I Will Be There...What Is The Address Please.

doug3030
10th October 2016, 09:47 AM
I Will Be There...What Is The Address Please.

Thanks Robert.

Address is in the "Bellbridge" part of Hoppers Crosing

Full address details will be advised closer to the date via PM.

Cheers

Doug

issatree
10th October 2016, 08:13 PM
Hi Doug,
Count me in.
Just need some details, that are coming as I understand.

Simplicity
10th October 2016, 08:25 PM
Looking good Doug.
Numbers are getting up there too
May I bring my other ego to
Cheers Matt [emoji12]

fletty
11th October 2016, 05:02 PM
Sorry Gents, its not going to happen for me. My Victoria and Tasmania visits will have to line up with the Lost Trades Fair at Kyneton in March instead :sad1:

fletty

doug3030
11th October 2016, 07:38 PM
I found this weather forecast up to the day of the GTG. If that is the day we get it should be a nice day, not too hot, winds calm and no rain. Fingers crossed.

Day

Temperature
Weather
Feels Like
Wind

Humidity
Chance
Amount
UV
Sunrise
Sunset

Tue
11 Oct
https://yy50ywrzdc5jb200.g00.timeanddate.com/g00/1_TU9SRVBIRVVTMCRodHRwczovL2MudGFkc3QuY29tL2dmeC93LzQwL3d0LTQucG5nP2kxMGMubWFyay5pbWFnZS50eXBl_$/$/$/$/$
8 / 13 °C
Morning clouds.
10 °C
25 km/h

58%
22%
-
5(Moderate)
6:41 AM
7:34 PM

Sun
23 Oct
https://yy50ywrzdc5jb200.g00.timeanddate.com/g00/1_TU9SRVBIRVVTMCRodHRwczovL2MudGFkc3QuY29tL2dmeC93LzQwL3d0LTIucG5nP2kxMGMubWFyay5pbWFnZS50eXBl_$/$/$/$/$
7 / 23 °C
Mostly sunny.
25 °C
4 km/h

41%
0%
-
5(Moderate)
6:24 AM
7:45 PM

dai sensei
12th October 2016, 06:35 PM
An accurate weather forecast for Melb weeks in advance :roflmao:

doug3030
12th October 2016, 07:05 PM
An accurate weather forecast for Melb weeks in advance :roflmao:

Yes, from the same weather site about the same day 24 hours later:

Sun
23 Oct
https://yy50ywrzdc5jb200.g00.timeanddate.com/g00/1_TU9SRVBIRVVTMSRodHRwczovL2MudGFkc3QuY29tL2dmeC93LzQwL3d0LTIucG5nP2kxMGMubWFyay5pbWFnZS50eXBl_$/$/$/$/$
10 / 17 °C
More sun than clouds.
17 °C
5 km/h

58%
10%
-
5(Moderate)
6:24 AM
7:45 PM

So it has changed a lot in a short time but we can live in hope of a nice day and use it to promote the event, can't we? :roll: We all know we will get what we get on the day. Melbourne has no weather of its own. It relies on whatever the wind blows in. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Doug

Simplicity
12th October 2016, 07:47 PM
I'm happy to bring a long some hot air lol

doug3030
17th October 2016, 12:40 PM
It is on this Sunday - not long to go now. :oo:

I am hoping for a fine, warm day but I have plenty of undercover area so we will be right even if it pours down rain. The event will proceed regardless of weather :cool:

We will be having home-made hamburgers for lunch, flavored with fresh herbs from our own gardens. Our local butcher provides very nice mince. We might even put out some of our home-made garlic bread too. This stuff is so good that a guest at a bbq here once cried because we were not putting out garlic bread that day.
:bbq2:

If anyone has any objection to any of the following ingredients let me know and we can make a small modified batch to suit: beef mince, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, fresh herbs (mainly sage and rosemary), eggs, flour.

I will be PM'ing address to all confirmed and potential attendees in the next 24 hours. Anyone else who decides to come will be notified by individual PM. If anyone is bringing a partner or guest that I do not already know about please post it in the thread or notify me by PM.

Confirmed Attendees:

Doug3030 and Jools
Kevjed
Daisensai
Simplicity and Sally
Bohdan
Robby Burns
Issatree
Simplicity's other ego :compress:

Gabriel
Sturdee

Looking forward to a great GTG

Cheers

Doug

Simplicity
17th October 2016, 07:26 PM
Top stuff Doug.
We will all be there me,myself and him.
Ego is not hundred percent shore yet [emoji849]
Plus Sally of course.[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

doug3030
17th October 2016, 07:42 PM
Ego is not hundred percent shore yet [emoji849]

Sorry Matt, it seems I made an incorrect assumption on the availability of your other ego. I have updated the list accordingly:

Confirmed Attendees:

Doug3030 and Jools
Kevjed
Daisensai
Simplicity and Sally
Bohdan
Robby Burns
Issatree

Simplicity's other ego http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/compress.gif
Gabriel
Sturdee

Any other additions/deletions/amendments?

I have PM'ed the address for my shed to all who have shown an interest. If you have not received it please let me know in case there has been a finger fault.

Cheers

Doug

Oldgreybeard
19th October 2016, 07:51 AM
Good morning Doug,
Do you have room for 2 more?

Bob

PS Can you PM address, Please.

doug3030
19th October 2016, 08:07 AM
Do you have room for 2 more?

Certainly do Bob. :2tsup:

PM on its way

Cheers

Doug

doug3030
19th October 2016, 08:45 PM
Four days to go.

The up-to-date list of attendees is:

Confirmed Attendees:

Doug3030 and Jools
Kevjed
Daisensai
Simplicity and Sally
Bohdan
Robby Burns
Issatree
Oldgreybeard and Maureen

Gabriel
Sturdee

There's still plenty of room for more if people want to come.

Sturdee
20th October 2016, 08:26 PM

Sturdee

Sorry Doug, although I would love to come I don't feel comfortable in driving much at the moment.

I get very tired in the afternoon and recently I started to have floaties in my right eye making concentration on highway driving too much.

So reluctantly I'm an apology.

Peter.

Simplicity
20th October 2016, 09:03 PM
Sorry Doug, although I would love to come I don't feel comfortable in driving much at the moment.

I get very tired in the afternoon and recently I started to have floaties in my right eye making concentration on highway driving too much.

So reluctantly I'm an apology.

Peter.

But we won't get to see your light house [emoji20]

Kuffy
20th October 2016, 09:48 PM
I'll come along. Sounds like a good day out, and it's just down the road...kinda.

BTW, Doug your inbox is full and the answer to your question is "I don't mind at all, spamming it all around the world is fine by me" :D

doug3030
20th October 2016, 09:56 PM
I'll come along. Sounds like a good day out, and it's just down the road...kinda.

BTW, Doug your inbox is full and the answer to your question is "I don't mind at all, spamming it all around the world is fine by me" :D

Thanks Kuffy. Welcome aboard. I just deleted another three messages from my inbox. I deleted 10 messages earlier today and only got six more in so I did not think it should be full yet. Sorry.

Note for hosts of future events: "your inbox will get full".

Cheers

Doug

justonething
20th October 2016, 10:58 PM
Hi Doug
I'd like to come along but will not be able to confirm until tomorrow afternoon. Would that be alright?

doug3030
20th October 2016, 11:16 PM
I'd like to come along but will not be able to confirm until tomorrow afternoon. Would that be alright?

Not a problem at all. As long as people respond in enough time for me to PM them my address. So, lets formalize it a bit at this point. I will check the thread at or about 8am on Sunday and PM my address to those who have indicated an intention to come by then. After 8am, I will respond if I see it but no guarantees as I will probably be up to my asre in preparations.

Can't be fairer than that?

Cheers

Doug

doug3030
20th October 2016, 11:25 PM
Attendance update:

The up-to-date list of attendees is:

Confirmed Attendees:

Doug3030 and Jools
Kevjed
Daisensai
Simplicity and Sally
Bohdan
Robby Burns
Issatree
Oldgreybeard and Maureen
Kuffy

Gabriel
Justonething

Apologies:

Fletty
Sturdee

Is there anyone coming from or passing by Sturdee's place who might be able to give him a lift over and back?

Oldgreybeard
21st October 2016, 04:37 PM
Is there anyone coming from or passing by Sturdee's place who might be able to give him a lift over and back?

I can give you a lift Peter. PM sent

Bob

Sturdee
21st October 2016, 06:48 PM
Thanks Bob for giving me a lift, so Doug I'll be there as well. Looking forward to a great day.:2tsup:

Peter.

Gabriel
21st October 2016, 08:06 PM
Permission has been granted. I'm in!!!!
Now to see if I can find something for show and tell (maybe I'll get round to finishing off a pen or two from the casting at the last gtg)

Any pen turners be there that would like some banks we made last time? - I can be generous at times

(Sorry simplicity, I know how much you love pen blank sized pieces)

And Peter, looks like you can sharpen your teeth to officially pick that bone you had with me.

Simplicity
21st October 2016, 08:34 PM
Permission has been granted. I'm in!!!!
Now to see if I can find something for show and tell (maybe I'll get round to finishing off a pen or two from the casting at the last gtg)

Any pen turners be there that would like some banks we made last time? - I can be generous at times

And Peter, looks like you can sharpen your teeth to officially pick that bone you had with me.

Sally is bringing yummy stuff

Gabriel
21st October 2016, 08:38 PM
Sally is bringing yummy stuff

So between Doug and Jools yummy stuff and Sally yummy stuff I'll be all yummy stuffed up!!

Simplicity
21st October 2016, 08:52 PM
So between Doug and Jools yummy stuff and Sally yummy stuff I'll be all yummy stuffed up!!

I'm now not saying Nothing lol

doug3030
21st October 2016, 08:53 PM

Dunno why he doesn't like them. They're great for starting the fire.

But anyway, time for an attendance update:

Confirmed Attendees:

Doug3030 and Jools
Kevjed
Daisensai
Simplicity and Sally
Bohdan
Robby Burns
Issatree
Oldgreybeard and Maureen
Kuffy
Sturdee
Gabriel

Justonething

Apologies:

Fletty

We have 15 starters an about 36 hours to go. That's awesome.

Don't forget the shed opens at 11am.

It would help if a few people can bring their folding chairs or I might have to empty some burls out of milk crates and turn them upside down.

I will post another summary tomorrow evening. I will check this thread and my PM's on Sunday morning about 8am and will PM my address to those who indicate by then that they will be attending. I do not guarantee that I will be able to pass on the address to anyone who responds after 8am Sunday.

Let it be a great day

Cheers

Doug

justonething
21st October 2016, 09:51 PM
Doug, count me in. Could you remind me again what time it is starting on Sunday? Ta

doug3030
21st October 2016, 10:10 PM
Doug, count me in. Could you remind me again what time it is starting on Sunday? Ta

revised attendance list again:

Confirmed Attendees:

Doug3030 and Jools
Kevjed
Daisensai
Simplicity and Sally
Bohdan
Robby Burns
Issatree
Oldgreybeard and Maureen
Kuffy
Sturdee
Gabriel
Justonething

Apologies:

Fletty

Wow this will be the second biggest gathering we have had at this address of people with their clothes on. :oo: :2tsup:

Kuffy
21st October 2016, 10:47 PM
Wow this will be the second biggest gathering we have had at this address of people with their clothes on.

Oh....clothes ON. Phew, that could have been embarrassing.

Uncle Al
22nd October 2016, 08:47 AM
Wow this will be the second biggest gathering we have had at this address of people with their clothes on. :oo: :2tsup:

I reckon there will be a story or two to be 'revealed' at the GTG on that subject!

Have fun,
Alan...

doug3030
22nd October 2016, 11:33 AM
Wow this will be the second biggest gathering we have had at this address of people with their clothes on. :oo: :2tsup:I reckon there will be a story or two to be 'revealed' at the GTG on that subject!

And maybe not, but my comment had the desired effect. It had other people bumping up the thread to keep it active in the "activity stream" so that people will see it. :2tsup:

Its a little trick I learned when living in Darwin. Almost every day the local newspaper (NT News) had a headline involving nudity or crocodiles to help sell the paper. I couldn't think of anything to do with crocs that was relevant to Melbourne. :D

Cheers

Doug

Kuffy
22nd October 2016, 05:21 PM
I just saw the weather report for Melbourne tomorrow.

"A beautiful sunny day without a cloud in the sky and not a breath of wind to be found"

I would screenshot the weather report and post it here, but I don't know how. I don't even know what you call a captured image of a computer screen :D

Simplicity
22nd October 2016, 06:40 PM
I just saw the weather report for Melbourne tomorrow.

"A beautiful sunny day without a cloud in the sky and not a breath of wind to be found"

I would screenshot the weather report and post it here, but I don't know how. I don't even know what you call a captured image of a computer screen :D

Melbourne Australia ?
You sure !
No that can't be must be computer fault [emoji848]

Oldgreybeard
22nd October 2016, 07:06 PM
From Bureau of Meterology, Melbourne 7.00pm Saturday 22/10/16 -

Forecast for tomorrow:

Sun protection recommended from 9:50 am to 4:30 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 8 [Very High]

You have been warned we don't want any sunburnt woodies:oo:

Bob

doug3030
22nd October 2016, 08:33 PM
Ok preparations are well under way. We are set to go whatever the weather but any playing with the toys may be limited by availability of appropriate areas with sufficient shelter. I have plenty of room under cover and out of the wind where we can sit and talk and all those social things.

Turn up anytime from 11am. food and basic soft drinks will be available. There will be a donation tin out if you wish to contribute to the cost of food and drink. Donations are entirely voluntary and anonymous.I do not want any to feel pressured to contribute.

It would probably help if a couple of people could bring some folding chairs if you have them. We probably could seat about a dozen people without having to resort to milk crates so if you have no suitable seating to bring, do not worry about it.

I will start up the BBQ around 12-ish if we are ready to eat by then. Home made burgers either as a sandwich or on a plate with salad, home-made garlic bread and assorted party nibbles.

If you choose to drink alcohol please do so responsibly and don't drink and drive and keep away from sharp tools.

Smokers, as I advised earlier, it is a condition of our lease that smoking is not allowed anywhere on the property. Also there are asthmatics living here who can react badly to tobacco smoke. The smoking area the nearby parkland, a mere 15 metres from our driveway. Thanks in advance for your understanding on this matter.

Entry is through the driveway gates on the left hand side of the house They will be open. Do not knock on the front door as we will all be out the back and will not hear you.

Lets make it a great day regardless of the weather. :2tsup:

Cheers

Doug

PS: I HAVE cleaned the shed! That is as good as it gets - so don't pick on me ok? :cool:

justonething
23rd October 2016, 04:33 PM
It was a great day, even the rain largely stayed away. Doug and Jools were really good hosts. Plus a whole host of people I got to know and have a yarn with. There were shows and tells too.
The food was excellent and the shed was so clean that you can find hardly any saw dust at all. I now have a sense of guilt every time I go into mine. Must start cleaning up......

Sturdee
23rd October 2016, 05:09 PM
Thanks Doug and Jools for hosting the day and also my thanks to Bob and Maureen for going out of their way to give me a lift. It was a lovely day, great to catch up with old friends and make new ones.

Peter.

Oldgreybeard
23rd October 2016, 05:13 PM
I can only support the words of the previous posters - a great day and thanks to Doug and Jools for making everything available. Several members attending our GTG for the first time was also a bonus.

Bob

Simplicity
23rd October 2016, 05:41 PM
It was a most pleasurable day.
Thanks Doug and thank you Jools. Great company great food.
Just a loverly easy Sunday
Thanks again, Sally and I had a loverly time.

(Who's doing the next one yes that's a hint.)

Cheers Matt

Kuffy
23rd October 2016, 06:09 PM
Cheers Jools n Doug. You guys set things up really nicely and I think everyone enjoyed themselves. It was good to meet a few more folks from the forums and to share a story or two or three with. My compliments to the chef, the burgers were great!

kevjed
23rd October 2016, 06:25 PM
Cheers to all for the catch up. It was lovely to put a face to the names.
Lovely gathering.

Gabriel
23rd October 2016, 07:06 PM
With the momentum we are gathering with the....errr..... gatherings, it's turning into quite an enjoyable regular event. Even though I missed the opportunity to talk to everyone as time was against me today, it was excellent to put a few more faces to names and many thanks to Doug and Jools for hosting.

Simplicity
23rd October 2016, 07:56 PM
With the momentum we are gathering with the....errr..... gatherings, it's turning into quite an enjoyable regular event. Even though I missed the opportunity to talk to everyone as time was against me today, it was excellent to put a few more faces to names and many thanks to Doug and Jools for hosting.

Are yes
World domination will be mine all mine.
Through the Cunningly organised GTG[emoji89][emoji89][emoji89]

Gabriel
23rd October 2016, 08:11 PM
Are yes
World domination will be mine all mine.
Through the Cunningly organised GTG[emoji89][emoji89][emoji89]
Is that your way of putting your hand up for November??? Guessing it'll be the last one for the year, and DaveTTC's will be January ....

Will I mark you down? (hell yes I'm sneaky, persistent and willing to put others in the firing line)

doug3030
23rd October 2016, 08:19 PM
Thanks to all who attended.

It was a great relaxing Sunday afternoon, to follow on form a hectic Sunday morning preparing for the possibility of wind and rain. I made enough room in the shed for us all to gather and close the doors if the weather turned nasty like it was yesterday. Fortunately the weather was pretty good and we could use the pergola/deck/carport area as well.

It will probably take me a day or two to put everything back into a usable condition. Well to tell the truth I had to do some rearranging anyway. It was good to meet new friends and to spend time with existing friends.

A big thanks to Sally for the "yummies" and Maureen for the cake.

Thanks to Matt and Sally for arriving early to assist with final preparations.

Gabriel, I appreciate you supporting the event even though your time was limited, and thanks for bringing the "fourth leg".

There were many interesting items on the show and tell table.

Thanks to all who attended.

LOST PROPERTY:.

Some items were left behind:

- Two chairs have already been claimed.

- One folding chair.

- A cardboard box containing small fragments of timber (I suspect this was abandoned rather than forgotten)

Anyway, it was a great day. We would consider doing it again next October.

Cheers

Doug

Simplicity
23rd October 2016, 08:33 PM
Is that your way of putting your hand up for November??? Guessing it'll be the last one for the year, and DaveTTC's will be January ....

Will I mark you down? (hell yes I'm sneaky, persistent and willing to put others in the firing line)

I maybe crossing the enemy line in
November. Seeing if there GTG over the border(NSW) are anywhere near as good as us Victorians [emoji41]
But December immmmm
We will see .

But for Folk more local .
31 of October Box Hill RSL
AROUND 6 ish all welcome ,it's a Monday night.

Cheers Matt , aiming for world domination if Gab doesn't beat me to it.[emoji83]

doug3030
23rd October 2016, 08:47 PM
But for Folk more local .
31 of October Box Hill RSL
AROUND 6 ish all welcome ,it's a Monday night.

Under the current guidelines for FGT's aren't you supposed to start a new thread for a different event?

Simplicity
23rd October 2016, 08:50 PM
Under the current guidelines for FGT's aren't you supposed to start a new thread for a different event?

Um maybe err yep ok
Will get Sally right on it

Sorry

dai sensei
24th October 2016, 09:45 AM
Finally have a brief opportunity to check the computer.

Big thank you to Doug and Jools for holding the get together. Great to meet up again with you mexicans, twice in one visit is amazing, 3 if you count Philip Island. Thank you for all the yummy food too.

The box of wood I left behind contained spalted BH Sassy (may need some stabilisation), Elm, Red Gum burl scraps and some other hardwood species. Mainly only pen blank stuff but hopefully someone will make use of it.

Shame you couldn't make it, I was interested in an update on what happened to the casting we did at your place

doug3030
1st November 2016, 08:41 PM
Sorry to bump up this thread for an event in the past, but I am sure the Blue mountains thread will be on top again soon.

I would not have done it except I still have one piece of unclaimed lost property from this event at my shed.

Who left their folding chair behind and has not yet claimed it?

Any takers?

Going once.....

robert brown
1st November 2016, 10:03 PM
Hi doug i left the chair..thanks for reminding me. When could i pick it up ....robert.

doug3030
1st November 2016, 10:20 PM
Hi Robert,

I have sent you a PM on how to get the chair back.

Cheers

Doug

robert brown
1st November 2016, 10:34 PM
Ok doug i will pick it up tomorrow. From where you said thank you...robert.

doug3030
14th May 2017, 08:47 PM
We are going to do it again this October.

See http://www.woodworkforums.com/f303/doug3030s-shed-day-2017-a-214152#post2023705

mark it on your calendars. 22 October

Cheers

Doug