PDA

View Full Version : Posts in concrete

Tiger
29th August 2005, 12:14 PM
Dear all,

On the weekend, I decided to put up a gate. While fairly competent in designing and making the gate, I did run into something which always causes a problem for me - BRACING the posts. I have struggled with this on other projects and it frustrates the **** out of me. I'm talking about bracing the posts in concrete. My experience has been that the soil is usually so hard that the wooden pegs simply break or they twist when you're trying to nail the brace into them which all results in the post losing its levelness. I haven't seen too much written about bracing anywhere probably because it's second nature to tradesmen but if anyone can offer any help, I'd be mighty grateful.

Barry_White
29th August 2005, 12:33 PM
Try using a "G" clamp on the brace to the peg until the concrete goes off. Works for me.

The other way is to use a Type 17 Tek screw through the brace into the peg.

Tiger
29th August 2005, 02:41 PM
Thanks, Bazza

I actually did use a couple of quick clamps in the end but did notice that the post silghtly moved out of level. One other question though, how do you get the peg in when the ground is either rock solid or very soft as my experience seems to be with only those 2 types of soil.

JDub
29th August 2005, 03:01 PM
Thanks, Bazza

I actually did use a couple of quick clamps in the end but did notice that the post silghtly moved out of level. One other question though, how do you get the peg in when the ground is either rock solid or very soft as my experience seems to be with only those 2 types of soil.

Why not use a tent peg or something similar.... drive it into the ground...

Then as suggested, attach your brace to both the peg (already in the ground) and to the post with clamps.....

Joel

pau1
29th August 2005, 03:31 PM
Back on the farm when we were putting in post that were going to be concreted, we just packed in some dirt first with the crowbar to get the post aligned and then filled up the rest of the hole with concrete. Not sure if the method applies here but it sure kept the cows in :p

Clinton1
29th August 2005, 08:41 PM
I use star pickets. Works for me.

Cheers,
Clinton

johnc
29th August 2005, 08:55 PM
I'd use G clamps, but if you want to belt in a nail just get someone to hold a heavier hammer at the rear of the peg you are nailing and nail towards that, the hammer just has to rest really as it does no more than absorb shock. To belt in a peg use a heavy hammer, about 4lb to 8lb, lighter hammers just loosen the peg in tough ground. The 2lb dumpy hammer is fine for soil with some moistness. And I almost never brace, tamp in some soil to get level as said in an earlier post then fill with concrete and check, if they are timber posts you don't need concrete at all just tightly compacted earth is fine, just drop in about 50mm of soil and tamp down hard with the back of the bar.

JohnC

journeyman Mick
29th August 2005, 10:20 PM
Tiger,
I usually use a framing gun to shoot the braces onto the pegs :D . If you don't have one you can use screws like Barry suggests or "dolly" behind the peg with a sledge hammer like JohnC does. If you're having trouble getting your pegs into really hard soil you'll need to cut a very long taper on them. I usually use framing offcuts, 70 x 35/45 or 90 x 35/45. I cut a taper on each face, back about 250mm on really hard soil. It's really important to have even tapers on the peg, otherwise it will drive in crooked and you'll break it.

Drive your crowbar into the ground and open up a bit of a hole to stand the peg in. Give it a few taps with a sledgie to get it started, making sure it stays plumb. Once it's started and firm you can lay into it with the sledgie. Sounds like a lot of work but it's pretty quick. I prefer timber pegs over star pickets as it's easier to mark them with levels etc, but if you're just bracing then star pickets are fine.

Mick

Tiger
30th August 2005, 12:38 PM
Thanks guys, I have experimented with some of your suggestions and they seem to work, there's a beer in it for you, but you'll have to come to Victoria.