PDA

View Full Version : Are Room / shed filters worth the money

ian
26th September 2016, 12:05 PM
In the $6000 Dust Collection thread, http://www.woodworkforums.com/f200/6000-dust-collection-woodworking-guaranteed-health-issues-208861 bueller asked

When I eventually get my workspace up and running I'm going to go with a 3HP collector with 6" ducts all round but I don't see room filters discussed much. Are they worth the money or should I just spend the cash elsewhere? I've linked one below in case you don't know what I'm talking about.

https://www.timbecon.com.au/extraction-safety/dust-extractors-filters/air-filter-room-cleaner
To save people chasing a link that may in a year or so's time be dead, Timbercon's website (as of 26 Sep 2016) provides the following information
Specifications
Air Flow -- 1000 CFM
Efficient Workshop size -- up to 200m³
Motor size -- 190W (1/4 HP)
For best results, your room cleaner should be mounted to the roof of your workshop where most of the ambient dust is generated.
The first outer filter removes particles down to 5 microns and the second internal fine filter cleans dust down to 1 microns – perfectly acceptable for wood dust.
If working in a larger workshop than 200m3 we recommend setting up two room cleaners to zone the air filtration rather than stocking and recommending larger, single units that are equivalent to the price of two of these units.

Carbatech have a similar unit

Air Movement
3 speed (450, 550 & 650cfm)

Filtration Filters
2x (Primary & Secondary)

Motor
1/6hp, 240V

Room Volume
3250 Cuft - up to 12 times per hour

Carbatech say that the unit is suitable for hanging from your ceiling; mounting on a wall or on a stand or bench.
In order to specify the correct size filter for your workshop; calculate your workshop's volume in cubic feet and aim to circulate the air in it more than 12 times per hour.
To maximise your filtration capability; you can use an optional third stage charcoal odour filter.

The response from our resident dust guru was

I recommend getting ventilation sorted before air filtration - they are very good at cleaning up air spaces of ALL dust before applying finishes

But Bob can I ask for a more detailed response.
Can you address options for those members working in rental spaces, where cutting holes in the roof, door or walls to vent a workspace to the outside, including venting a DC to the outside, is generally not an option.

Likewise for those members who live and work in southern Australia or Tasmania, dumping heated air to the outside during winter is a very inefficient, and usually very expensive, option.

so are the claimed air movement of a 1/4 HP motor realistic or optimism?

while the retailers recommend aiming for 10 to 12 air changes per hour, should we as users accept this "advice" or should we be aiming for many more changes per hour?

and lastly, can you comment on the effectiveness of mounting one of these units on a bench/stand vs a few cm below the ceiling.