PDA

View Full Version : Changing capacitor

Tiger
27th September 2016, 11:54 PM
I have changed capacitors before, but this setup has the motor wires crimped onto the capacitor wires. I assume that i decrimp the wires and attach motor wires to the terminals of the new capacitors?

Pearo
28th September 2016, 12:44 AM
just cut it off and use a couple of single screw BP connectors if they will fit in the housing. If the new cap has terminals rather than wires, the crimp on some appropriate terminals in place of the joiners.

Bohdan
28th September 2016, 12:47 AM
I would normally cut the wires close to the capacitor and use the old leads to make the connections. If you uncrimp the old leads the motor leads may not be long to install the capacitor correctly and recrimping extension leads is not needed.

Tiger
28th September 2016, 10:43 AM
Thanks guys, I have taken another photo to show what is on there already, I will be replacing what is on the left with the unit on the right. I'm still a little unsure how to connect the new one once I cut the old one off. Would like to avoid having to solder (but can if I have to), is there an easy way to do this. Pearo, not sure what BP connectors are and if they're appropriate in this case.395661

Treecycle
28th September 2016, 10:48 AM
BP connector

Paul39
28th September 2016, 11:36 AM
Thanks guys, I have taken another photo to show what is on there already, I will be replacing what is on the left with the unit on the right. I'm still a little unsure how to connect the new one once I cut the old one off. Would like to avoid having to solder (but can if I have to), is there an easy way to do this. Pearo, not sure what BP connectors are and if they're appropriate in this case.395661

This connector of the proper size to fit the terminals of the new cap. will crimp on to your motor wires:

http://www.lambrettaspares.com/products/images/products/xl/mbe0012_01.jpg

Bohdan
28th September 2016, 12:16 PM
The crimp on connectors are the correct way to attach wires to the capacitor but you need to have the proper crimp tool to fit them. If you don't have the tool and don't want to buy one soldering is your best option but be carefull to ensure that the terminals and wires are insulated from any housing that the cap may use.

Tiger
28th September 2016, 02:12 PM
Thanks Bohdan, would wrapping electrical tape or heat shrink provide sufficient insulation from the housing? I've got almost every tool but I don't have a crimper, Bunnies sell them for under $20 so happy to purchase one to get the job done.

Cliff Rogers
28th September 2016, 02:43 PM
Crimped spade connectors would be the best, if you solder it in, use heat shrink tubing to insulate it 'cos insulation tape (particularly the cheap stuff) glue turns to pus with heat.

Pearo
28th September 2016, 10:08 PM
Sorry, did not realise you were in the US Paul! BP connectors are probably an Aussie thing. You guys tend to use some screw on connector which is a lot different to ours.

Anyway, like Bohdan sad. cut the existing wires as close to the capacitor as possible then add on some crimp terminals. Not sure if you can get them in the US, but automotive terminals will do the trick.