PDA

View Full Version : Salice series 200 hinges fron Hafele

Lappa
28th September 2016, 08:22 PM
I rang Hafele today at 11:00 am to get advice on hinge choice for a built in laundry cupboard. Guy gave me some advice then said to look at the catalogue, choose the hinge then ring back with the part number. Long story short, 3 phone calls later as no one bothered to ring me back as promised, I finally placed an order ar 4:45pm. The guy on the phone said to place cup 5mm back from edge of door for a 3mm door clearance and that was that. By the time I got to thinking about a template for the cup screws plus the side mounting plates it was past 5pm.
I have a plastic template for Prestige hinges (worked a treat) but it's for 4mm back from edge of door. It also has the template for the side mount plates as well.
Is there a drilling/screwing template for these hinges? The catalogue mentions 48/6 but I can't find it in Hafele's catalogue.

Cheers - Peter

chambezio
28th September 2016, 08:41 PM
When using any hinge requiring a 35mm cup hole the position for them is around that 4mm mark. Its not super critical it just lessens the adjustability. I have a set up for the drill press that allows the door to sit at that 4mm mark and drill to a stop. The other 2 holes in the hinge I just use 5/8" X 6# screws. Even if the hinge comes with nylon plugs I disregard the and use the 6# screws.

Another measurement that is critical is the hole centre for the backing plate....it is 37mm from the face of the carcase. Get that wrong and you will have a lot of trouble trying to hang the door. To fix the backing plates I use 5/8" X 10# countersunk.

elanjacobs
28th September 2016, 09:01 PM
From the Hafele book

Unfortunately they don't tell you which one is for which hinge. Haven't used Hafele hinges in years, but from memory it's the first one on the second row.
Depth is 11mm and we always had 5mm from the edge to the cup.

As mentioned above, hinge plates are 37mm back, 32mm spacing

Lappa
28th September 2016, 09:23 PM
Thanks very much gents. The measurements for the plate in the carcass was the one I couldn't find. Plus mine are the screw fitting ones, 35mm, so the measurement of the cup back from the front of the door (called E in the diagram from Elan )obviously relates to another measurement which I assume is the door to carcass clearance?

Cheers - Peter

Lappa
29th September 2016, 11:38 AM
Sorry folks - forgot to mention that the doors are to be INSET. So I have to mount the plate in 37mm PLUS the door thickness according to the specifications.

elanjacobs
29th September 2016, 11:40 AM
Plus another 2 to account for the 2mm space that's normally between the door and the leading edge of the carcase

david.elliott
29th September 2016, 02:49 PM
I've only once managed to get the "three" holes right every time, and they are critical..so, reward for time effort is not there...

so I drill the 35mm hole and push out the screws, take off the plastic plugs then use 16mm screws in the two recently revealed holes...one key point is to use something else like another door to ensure the hinges are square by laying it on top...up o the hinge plates. I found one of the self centering drillbits great to help with this...

Lappa
29th September 2016, 04:58 PM
I've only once managed to get the "three" holes right every time, and they are critical..so, reward for time effort is not there...

so I drill the 35mm hole and push out the screws, take off the plastic plugs then use 16mm screws in the two recently revealed holes...one key point is to use something else like another door to ensure the hinges are square by laying it on top...up o the hinge plates. I found one of the self centering drillbits great to help with this...
Thanks. No plastic plugs on these - screws directly into wood. I've got 16 hinges to install so I should be OK by the end:D

double.d
30th September 2016, 02:16 PM
I hope Salice have upped their quality. In my opinion you cant go past the Blum. I buy the bulk boxes from Bunnings which makes them very affordable.

Lappa
30th September 2016, 02:37 PM
Gee - thanks for that:oo:. I only went for Salice because there are a lot of references to Hafele on this site and that's the ones they recommended.
Just arrived and they put the Kaboodle ones in my kitchen and the Prestige ones I bought for another project from Bunnies to shame.
Blum must have changed their mounting or Bunnies didn't keep a good range because last time I had a look at them (18 months ago in Bunnies) the mounting in the door was totally different and I could not use them to replace the existing hinges (35mm hole)
Guess time will tell. If Blum use the same door mounting and these croak, I'll just replace them with Blum.

elanjacobs
30th September 2016, 04:27 PM
I also reckon the Blums are superior (their drawer runners as well), especially the ones with integrated soft-close.
They've had the same drill pattern for many, many years, but it's different to the Hafele ones; 35mm hole is the same, but the 2 smaller holes are different

Big Shed
30th September 2016, 04:51 PM
I have always used the Hettich hinges and their nifty template.

They have a very extensive range of cabinet hardware.

Lappa
30th September 2016, 05:09 PM
I also have a template but it only works for overlay not inset. Rang around but couldn't find an inset one. Needs to be adjustable so you can you account for different door thicknesses re carcass measurements. Made my own. Worked atreat.