PDA

View Full Version : Drilling long items

Mobyturns
29th September 2016, 09:09 AM
Powderposts thread on tool handles brough this to mind - a bit of jury rigging to add walking stick joiners and ferrules to commercial Kwilia dowels for a two piece flag staff for the local Girl Guides back in 2008. The things we get ourselves into at community event demonstrations. A Girl Guides leader asked if we coul make it easire for them to transport their 2.2m staff to events that were mostly indoor and all their leaders only had small cars. Easy to say yes, a couple of pool cue joiners, ferrules no worries. Not so easy when you realize that you don't own or have access to a lathe capable of 1.4m between centres or even 1.2m! Where there is a will there is a way, jury rigging for slow speed drilling & turning.

Hors
29th September 2016, 10:26 AM
Powderposts thread on tool handles brough this to mind - a bit of jury rigging to add walking stick joiners and ferrules to commercial Kwilia dowels for a two piece flag staff for the local Girl Guides back in 2008. The things we get ourselves into at community event demonstrations. A Girl Guides leader asked if we coul make it easire for them to transport their 2.2m staff to events that were mostly indoor and all their leaders only had small cars. Easy to say yes, a couple of pool cue joiners, ferrules no worries. Not so easy when you realize that you don't own or have access to a lathe capable of 1.4m between centres or even 1.2m! Where there is a will there is a way, jury rigging for slow speed drilling & turning.

Thats cool . Did the lathe need to be moved outside?

Mobyturns
29th September 2016, 07:08 PM
Thats cool . Did the lathe need to be moved outside?

No, it was just cooler out there. I don't have a dedicated work shop, just a large multipurpose lockup garage. I have dolly's for moving the lathe.

Phily
29th September 2016, 10:08 PM
No, it was just cooler out there. I don't have a dedicated work shop, just a large multipurpose lockup garage. I have dolly's for moving the lathe.

LoL, it would be cooler moving the lathe outside in July here as well. Like icicles on the gonads type cool!!!!

hughie
30th September 2016, 05:32 AM
Hah been there.

Mobyturns
30th September 2016, 07:53 AM
LoL, it would be cooler moving the lathe outside in July here as well. Like icicles on the gonads type cool!!!!

What are icicles :?

Its not pleasant here in summer, 33C and 85 - 95 % humidity is not fun.

Christos
1st October 2016, 11:34 AM
What are icicles :? ........

Take a look in the freezer if you have an older non frost free type. :U