PDA

View Full Version : Blade moving side to side!?

Waldo
29th August 2005, 04:52 PM
G'day,

Just went down to the shed to cut some stuff up on the b/s and I noticed for some reason the blade is moving side to side and I can feel the sideways movement on every revolution as I cut (or so I think). :confused:

Each night when I finish I release the tension, retension up again and it's runs smooth as, so I haven't done anything from the norm.I'm not a musician so I really don't have it fine tuned perfectly but this has really got me stumped. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Stuart
29th August 2005, 05:16 PM
Clean the sawdust off the wheels!

I bet it is caked on- if so, you'll need to scrape, but just be careful not to damage the rubber.

Waldo
29th August 2005, 05:19 PM
G'day Stuart Lees,

Nope, looked at that and no sawdust on the wheels. Could a blunt blade be my problem?

Wood Borer
29th August 2005, 05:28 PM
Waldo,

I would change the blade. I had a blade like that recently and a new blade overcame the problem.

I checked for wheels being out of plumb, saw dust etc etc it was terrigal! ;)

Sturdee
29th August 2005, 05:31 PM
G'day,

Just went down to the shed to cut some stuff up on the b/s and I noticed for some reason the blade is moving side to side and I can feel the sideways movement on every revolution as I cut (or so I think). :confused:

Each night when I finish I release the tension, retension up again and it's runs smooth as, so I haven't done anything from the norm.I'm not a musician so I really don't have it fine tuned perfectly but this has really got me stumped. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Two things come to mind which I would check.

First do you raise and lower the guide wheel assembly to just above the height of the timber being cut or do you leave it up high all the time. If you leave it up that could be your problem.

Secondly after you retension the blade do you tighten up the locking nut to keep the tension intact. If not you may loose the tension on your blade.

If the above don't help maybe use the manual and redo all the setting up procedures.

Peter.

Waldo
29th August 2005, 05:33 PM
G'day WoodBorer,

Thanks, thought it could be that. When I replaced the blade hat was on it to a new one, I noticed the same difference.

The wife won't be happy about spending more $ on stuff, just done my budget and more on the Dusty, but if I don't get a new blade I can't do her cupboard for her.

Waldo
29th August 2005, 05:38 PM
Two things come to mind which I would check.

First do you raise and lower the guide wheel assembly to just above the height of the timber being cut or do you leave it up high all the time. If you leave it up that could be your problem.

Secondly after you retension the blade do you tighten up the locking nut to keep the tension intact. If not you may loose the tension on your blade.

If the above don't help maybe use the manual and redo all the setting up procedures.

Peter.

G'day Sturdee,

Yep, I alwys have the wheel guide assembly about 1/8" above the stock. Maybe I missed the lock nut, I'll have to check - but if it is, maybe like WoodBorer suggests, I have a blunt blade.

Dean
29th August 2005, 05:46 PM
Check blade guides above and below table too :)
Sometimes they slip out of position, or can be in the wrong position depending on tension set.

Stuart
29th August 2005, 06:07 PM
Bugger. And I was sure I was right.

Waldo
29th August 2005, 06:30 PM
G'day Dean,

Yep, checked over the top and bottom guides, unless they have a habit of moving over night when no-one is looking. Maybe, the blade is just blunt, as it seems we've exhausted anything else - unless there's some more ideas out there?

Waldo
29th August 2005, 07:27 PM
G'day,

Well I went down to the shed and reset the blade from scratch: rebalanced the blade to the top wheel and reset all the guides and blocks and now it's all back as it should be.

It's real wierd, but somewhere in there I fixed it, the problem is I don't know at what stage it fixed the problem.

The best way to describe the cut prior, is that the cut pattern was at 1/4" intervals which is equal to the width of the blade. After some tuning I got it down to half this and the final tuning the cut is nice and smooth with minute serations as you'd expect.

So now I'm a happy camper. Ok, the b/saw is old - don't know how old it was when my Dad bought it and it doesn't run as smooth as a new one.

Sorry Stuart Less to bugger up your suggestion for the solution, and thanks to you all for helping me out this arvo.

Now I can go back down to the shed tomorrow and continue what I was doing without the frustration I had this arvo. :D

RETIRED
29th August 2005, 10:38 PM
Sure you don't live in "The Twilight Zone" or maybe the Gremlins get in overnight? :D

Waldo
30th August 2005, 12:06 AM
G'day ,

It had me stuffed, last time I used it it was running as it should - today, a different story. But it seems it's all back to normal now. How it was cutting stock was like a blind man trying to walk on a tightrope.

Stuart
30th August 2005, 10:39 AM
Perhaps we now know what happened to Gumby.........

Waldo
30th August 2005, 10:43 AM
G'day Stuart Lees,

Yeah that'd be right, got more tools than him and he came around the night before and vandalised my b/saw. Sneaky little plastasine bugger! :D

I'll have to confront him about this when I see him.