PDA

View Full Version : BiFold Doors

vGolfer
29th August 2005, 05:16 PM
Can anyone give a heads up re bi-fold doors?

Have looked at Stegbar (just the website) and they look OK. They also have a link to Centor on their site...anyone know the difference?

I am concerned about price but don't want something that falls apart after a couple of years.

Thanks

womble
30th August 2005, 08:52 AM
try here:

http://www.finlayson.com.au/range.html

I think they have bi-fold doors from memory

vGolfer
30th August 2005, 09:25 AM
Thanks for that. Do they distribute in Melbourne?

ausdesign
30th August 2005, 09:51 AM
The failure with many bifold doors is the rollers.
Stegbar use a Centor roller system (based in Brisbane I think). They have a good reputation for quality & reliable rollers.

Bodgy
30th August 2005, 10:32 AM
Try http://www.doorsplus.com.au/They have distrib around Oz.

They have regular 'sales' and the prices are competitive. you'd need to check quality tho.

silkwood
30th August 2005, 11:22 PM
Firstly I'm presuming we're talking about internal bifolds. Corinthian's units are very reliable and also have parts available should you require them in the future. Places like Doors Plus sell some good stuff and some cr#p, just make sure you know which is which before purchasing. Prices tend to be good but often there's a reason for that....

There is a bit of a trade-off with bifolds: lighter (hollow-core) doorstend to be easier on the sliding mechanisms but also are easier to damage. Heavier doors tend to put extra stress on the mechanisms, all the more reason to buy a good product in the first place.

Cheers,

vGolfer
31st August 2005, 09:16 AM
Firstly I'm presuming we're talking about internal bifolds.

Actually talking about external. Thanks anyway.

I checked out Doors Plus and Stegbar yesterday.

Door Plus units looked pretty average IMO. The guy servicing the stoor ad pretty much no idea and the display units just looked cruddy.

Can't say Stegbar was much better either. The display in Rowville was also pretty average and service was hopeless. I asked about 3 times for help and was told someone would be with me shortly. After 15 minutes I gave up and left.

After seeing how expensive Bi-folds can be, I am thinking of ditching the idea and just going for wide French doors. They obviously won't open the room up quite as much but they are a LOT cheaper!

Bodgy
31st August 2005, 09:42 AM
May I have the temerity to suggest you have a go at making them? They are not real hard and the hanging/mounting gear is generally available as are all sorts of glass, although glass merchants tend to do you like a dinner on price.

Our peerless Forum colleagues would advise at each step.

vGolfer
31st August 2005, 09:46 AM
May I have the temerity to suggest you have a go at making them? They are not real hard and the hanging/mounting gear is generally available as are all sorts of glass, although glass merchants tend to do you like a dinner on price.

Our peerless Forum colleagues would advise at each step.

I am handy-ish with quite a big emphasis on the 'ish'. Not sure if I'd be confident enough to try myself. Unless there was a book called 'Idiots guide to making Bi-Fold Doors'!!!

journeyman Mick
1st September 2005, 12:09 AM
VGolfer,
I'd go french doors over bifolds any day. Bi folds have more complicated hinging/hanging/track arrangements that are more difficult to operate even when set up correctly. You will also have gaps at the top, at the jambs and between each leaf of the door for wind to whistle throug/insects to fly in through. You an blcok the gaps between the leaves with a cover strip (bit ordinary to look at) and you can minimise the gap at the top and ends but you can't get rid of them.

Mick

vGolfer
1st September 2005, 08:45 AM
Thanks Mick...I think you're right.

I went down to Canterbury Windows and Doors in Dandenong yesterday and they seemed very good. They had a good website (http://www.canterburywindows.com.au) and an excellent showroom with a wide range of window and door availabilities so I think I may go with them.

Bin J
10th September 2005, 12:27 PM
How about www.trendwindows.com.au (http://www.trendwindows.com.au) ? Anyone had any experiences with them (especially bi-folds?) - They have both cedar and meranti.