PDA

View Full Version : My DC Sucks

Cagey
29th August 2005, 06:34 PM
My DC was underpowered but ok when i got it, and had a single hose running to one machine, but when i ran some more hoses with blastgates to a couple of machines, the suction was terrible. I of course put this down to hoses, connections and blast gates adding up to a problem. Then the other day i was reading a posted review on a 2hp from timbecon, and someone mentioned removing the grille on the inlet, so i thought i would check it out. what i found was a big handful of shavings from the only time i had run it with the thicknesser. I removed them and turned it on without any machines on, but all blast gates open. to my suprise the bag half filled within a minute. now its like having a new DC, one that actually sucks. now a lot of you forumites are gonna be saying "well dah", but sometimes beginners overlook the simplest solution.

Grunt
29th August 2005, 07:22 PM
It's good when somethings sucks and you want it to.

NewLou
30th August 2005, 07:15 PM
Theres nothing more satisfying than when you reserect something you thought was wrooooted ;)

Well done Cagey!!!!!

REgards Lou:D

ernknot
31st August 2005, 08:31 PM
Had the same problem with one of my DC's I use for the thicknesser and jointer. The grill was blocked. Sidecutters soon fixed that. I know the frill is there to stop large splinters from getting into the suction fan but because of the dedicated use I don't see that as a concern ( This comment was added for the safety Nazis)

Gumby
31st August 2005, 08:36 PM
My DC was underpowered but ok when i got it, and had a single hose running to one machine, but when i ran some more hoses with blastgates to a couple of machines, the suction was terrible. I of course put this down to hoses, connections and blast gates adding up to a problem. Then the other day i was reading a posted review on a 2hp from timbecon, and someone mentioned removing the grille on the inlet, so i thought i would check it out. what i found was a big handful of shavings from the only time i had run it with the thicknesser. I removed them and turned it on without any machines on, but all blast gates open. to my suprise the bag half filled within a minute. now its like having a new DC, one that actually sucks. now a lot of you forumites are gonna be saying "well dah", but sometimes beginners overlook the simplest solution.

The first thing i did when i recently upgraded to a 2HP DC was to cut that grill off. I had the same problem you experienced when I used my 1HP on the jointer/thicknesser. I also have a rubbish bin connected between the machinery and DC to act as a separator. Big bits will fall in but avoid the DC itself, not that i think bit bits are a problem if you are just using it direct from the jointer etc.

doug the slug
31st August 2005, 11:17 PM
OMG!!! the plasticine man is back!!!

AlexS
1st September 2005, 08:36 PM
My Carbatec 2hp came with no grille - not that I'm complaining.
I've had a few big bits from the TS go through, they make a bit of noise, but haven't made a mark on the impeller.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st September 2005, 10:45 PM
Anyone know if there's any major differences between the impellers on CT's FM-300 DC and their CT- series?

Finally picked mine up after work today and, not having time for any serious woodwork but still wanting to see my money at work, hooked up the floor-sweep and promptly disposed of the last weeks floor-sweepings which were convenient to hand. :rolleyes:

Sadly, I forgot about the inevitable dropped nuts, bolts & other oddments in the sweepings until I heard 'em impact the impeller. My first thought? "At least they didn't block the grille!" My second thought? "Maybe it would've been better if they had!" :eek:

Haven't been game to check for damage yet; thought it the better part of wisdom to leave the tools alone and come back tomorrow...

zenwood
1st September 2005, 11:14 PM
Check the outlet: mine had a grille there too. I've cut off both grilles from my DC, and it works fine. Haven't sucked up a spanner yet!;)

Gumby
1st September 2005, 11:29 PM
hooked up the floor-sweep and promptly disposed of the last weeks floor-sweepings which were convenient to hand. :rolleyes:

That's one of the reasons I still have my modified Triton bucket and vacuum. I never use the DC for anything other than straight off the machines. Just asking for trouble in my opinion.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st September 2005, 11:49 PM
That's one of the reasons I still have my modified Triton bucket and vacuum. I never use the DC for anything other than straight off the machines. Just asking for trouble in my opinion.

Now you tell me! :D:D

lesmeyer
1st September 2005, 11:52 PM
G'day fellas.

I have the FM300 and the CT001V. One thing to look for is the swirling action in the bottom plastic bag. You can test when closing the blast gates if you have them fitted. As soon as you open the gate, the swirling action begins. It also stops when the inlet is blocked. This usually happens when machining soft wood or when a rag gets into the system (yes this can happen!!). The removal of the grille could cause problems with the rags though. Don't laugh. It happened to me when my back was turned.
Regards
Les

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd September 2005, 12:28 AM
This usually happens when machining soft wood or when a rag gets into the system (yes this can happen!!). The removal of the grille could cause problems with the rags though. Don't laugh. It happened to me when my back was turned.

Considering I'll be running a hood to my lathe and rags play a large part in finishing, well... I can see that happening easily without my back being turned. It's something I hadn't thought about yet. Thanks for the heads up!

Do you notice any change in the sound of the DC when it's blocked? I'm not tempted to try it with mine yet. ;)

I've been considering building a cyclone for the DC, not being aware that the DC incorporated a pseudo-cyclone. Methinks I'll settle for a seperator, both to prevent larger pieces impacting the impeller/grille and to reduce the need to redo that #@%^$ clip holding the lower bag...

lesmeyer
2nd September 2005, 02:17 PM
Do you notice any change in the sound of the DC when it's blocked? I'm not tempted to try it with mine yet. ;)

Yes the motor does sound a little muted when it happens. I think that the worst that may happen, is that the motor is then unable to get any cooling and may run a little hot and may even damage after a while. I have become attentive to this and is now almost second nature.
The DC seems to have incorporated a psuedo cyclone. The chips swirl at great speed in the bottom bag.
I think that a separator might be quite handy, but I am not sure of any reduction in sucking power. After all - we want it to SUCK !!
Regards
Les

echnidna
2nd September 2005, 02:33 PM
............ I think that the worst that may happen, is that the motor is then unable to get any cooling and may run a little hot and may even damage after a while.
Regards
Les
This is unlikely Les for 2 reasons
1. The motor is cooled separately from the dust impeller.
2. The maximum load on the motor (and therefore the highest amps) occurs when the motor is pumping maximium air volume. If it is clogged its thus pumping less air so there is less current being used.

lesmeyer
2nd September 2005, 06:33 PM
This is unlikely Les for 2 reasons
1. The motor is cooled separately from the dust impeller.
2. The maximum load on the motor (and therefore the highest amps) occurs when the motor is pumping maximium air volume. If it is clogged its thus pumping less air so there is less current being used.
Thanks Bob. Good to know that. Makes me feel better now. In fact I feel better than James Brown. (I feel Gooood!).
Regards
Les

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd September 2005, 10:36 PM
Yes the motor does sound a little muted when it happens.

I had a play on the lathe today and found out you're right. I was doing some finish sanding when the paper caught and was ripped out of my fingers, straight into the dust hood.

Thank Ghu I've only one hose running off the Y at the intake to the DC... I can simply remove the cap from the "blanked" one to access the grille. Methinks 'tis going to stay that way, even after I add a seperator.

I think that a separator might be quite handy, but I am not sure of any reduction in sucking power. After all - we want it to SUCK !!

I can't see that the seperator will affect the vacuum in any way, unless it's over-full and blocking the ductwork. As long as it's sealed properly, the air cfm out will equal the cfm in and whether the airflow is in a swirl inbetween or otherwise won't affect the total "suck power."

outback
3rd September 2005, 11:45 AM
I can't see that the seperator will affect the vacuum in any way, unless it's over-full and blocking the ductwork. As long as it's sealed properly, the air cfm out will equal the cfm in and whether the airflow is in a swirl inbetween or otherwise won't affect the total "suck power."

Friction is the killer, but I don't think it's going to add much, not like 100m of flexible duct.