PDA

View Full Version : First go at a chisel

mattm82
2nd October 2016, 11:31 PM
Hi all,

Just about done on my first chisel.

I had a piece of Damascus steel I had forged left over so thought I'd give it a go.

Blade is 1095/15n20 high carbon steel.

I turned up the handle and brass fittings. Handle is ringed gidgee.

Definitely a few things I'd like to do differently for the next, but all in all I'm very happy.

This is off to my old man as a belated Father's Day gift.

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac95/mattm982/C5F62808-6ADF-4170-BA5B-7A9E880AAE5D_zpsylsxsbbi.jpg

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac95/mattm982/717D9751-4573-4E47-90C7-F31585CEC09D_zpsddpzxzfq.jpg

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac95/mattm982/A12E0527-CF65-4FF0-B8B5-C261DCEFE9D9_zpslvblejqv.jpg

Feedback/critiques most welcome.

shanesmith80
3rd October 2016, 08:22 AM
Very very nice!!

DSEL74
3rd October 2016, 08:21 PM
As I said on FB, that's stunning

andrew allan
3rd October 2016, 08:33 PM
Very beautiful. I wish someone was giving that to me.

a

mattm82
3rd October 2016, 08:50 PM
Thanks lads, it's always good when you think you've hit the mark and get some agreement. I really enjoyed this build so thinking a bit more research on chisels and a set might be on the cards.

derekcohen
3rd October 2016, 09:12 PM
Hi Matt

Very nice work. Can you say what type of chisel you were aiming at, that is, what type of work it is to do ... general bench pounding, dovetails, morticing .. ? Whether it is to be used as a paring chisel, or struck with a hammer or mallet? Can you take a photo of you holding it for use. This will provide more information to comment on design and ergonomics.

Regards from Perth

Derek

mattm82
3rd October 2016, 09:19 PM
Hi Derek,

Questions I will try and answer. My old man is mad for scroll saw work so the idea was that he can just use it to clean up the occasional rough edge.
Not really expecting that it will get hit with a mallet but the butt cap was turned down to have a rod traveling down the centre hole and a good surface area on the timber so it can be.
It's ground at 30 degrees and figured the old man can either regrind or put a microbevel to suit him if it's not what he needs. I will be sending it off so will ask him to photograph it in use, as I don't really know how he will use it. I just went with what was comfortable in the hand.
I've realized how little I know about chisels and will need to do some research before making any sets.

Thank you for taking the time to give it so much thought, appreciate it.

derekcohen
3rd October 2016, 09:40 PM
Hi Matt

Your dad is going to cherish the chisel you made. It is beautiful and your craftsmanship is outstanding.

The handle, while striking, does look to be more in line with one that would be used with a mallet (because of the hoop) than pushed. Overall, it resembles a chisel made by Harold & Saxon (http://www.haroldandsaxon.com/). That is a compliment. Trent Powie does fabulous work.

I look forward to your next piece.

Regards from Perth

Derek

mattm82
3rd October 2016, 09:56 PM
Thank you for your comments Derek, greatly appreciated.

I ave a few plans already rattling around my head so hopefully something to show shortly.

mattm82
5th October 2016, 09:57 AM
Mispost

Bushmiller
9th October 2016, 08:30 PM
Mattm82

That is is superb for a first chisel: In fact it is superb for any number of chisels. You have a talent you should pursue. Be sure to let us know how the old bloke finds it . If it is not up to scratch, I'll let you have my address :) .

Regards
Paul

Simplicity
9th October 2016, 09:31 PM
Matt,
Fantastic work on your first one.
Bad news tho I promise it won't be your last tool made either.

Us Matts have a reputation for making tools
It must be our biblical name lol.

Cheers Matt

mattm82
10th October 2016, 05:07 PM
Mattm82

That is is superb for a first chisel: In fact it is superb for any number of chisels. You have a talent you should pursue. Be sure to let us know how the old bloke finds it . If it is not up to scratch, I'll let you have my address :) .

Regards
Paul

Thank you very much Paul, appreciate it. I'll let him know if he wants it gone [emoji6]

mattm82
10th October 2016, 05:12 PM
Matt,
Fantastic work on your first one.
Bad news tho I promise it won't be your last tool made either.

Us Matts have a reputation for making tools
It must be our biblical name lol.

Cheers Matt

Thanks very much Matt... it's definitely a good name!!

You're not wrong, I'm already working on plans for a few others. Had some great feedback and realized I had a blend of a few different chisels in this one. Working on developing some chisels more purpose built. I'll be sure to post my results.

I made my first hammer on the weekend too. Needs some refining but should be a good forging hammer. Tools are addictive and a nice break from knives!

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac95/mattm982/8131EC8A-4AFE-448D-B8D2-0D4EB5F06121_zpsba7ktmxg.jpg

Cheers

Matt

Simplicity
10th October 2016, 07:24 PM
Thanks very much Matt... it's definitely a good name!!

You're not wrong, I'm already working on plans for a few others. Had some great feedback and realized I had a blend of a few different chisels in this one. Working on developing some chisels more purpose built. I'll be sure to post my results.

I made my first hammer on the weekend too. Needs some refining but should be a good forging hammer. Tools are addictive and a nice break from knives!

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac95/mattm982/8131EC8A-4AFE-448D-B8D2-0D4EB5F06121_zpsba7ktmxg.jpg

Cheers

Matt

Matt,
Will we get a blow by blow description on how you made the hammer.
Which looks very cool by the way.

Cheers Matt

mattm82
10th October 2016, 07:49 PM
Matt,
Will we get a blow by blow description on how you made the hammer.
Which looks very cool by the way.

Cheers Matt

Hopefully I'm allowed to post links. This is my FB page... uploading pics to tapatalk is a nightmare! They're all there if you're inclined to have a look.

https://www.facebook.com/VicarForge/posts/692097317608339

Thanks for the interest.

Matt

ian
11th October 2016, 01:15 PM
http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac95/mattm982/717D9751-4573-4E47-90C7-F31585CEC09D_zpsddpzxzfq.jpg

Feedback/critiques most welcome.Hi Matt

That is a very beautiful chisel.
Your father will no doubt be very proud of his accomplished son.
By the sound of things your father is likely to use it for paring and so he might find a primary grind at 25°, or even a little less, more useful than 30°

Out of interest how did you heat treat the steel

One point, as far as I know, Damascus steels vary in hardness and elasticity between the light and dark bands of metal. If this chisel were to be used for heavy chopping, you might find that the edge is very prone to chipping in line with the bands.

With your next chisel, you may wish to have the bands running close to parallel with the back of the chisel.

mattm82
11th October 2016, 03:23 PM
Hi Ian,

Thank you for your feedback. You are absolutely right that 25 degrees would have been more appropriate. I figured that since I'd finished and etched it I would sent it to him and he can regrind if he wishes to adjust the bevel.

I have a digitally controlled Heat treat oven (basically a knife kiln) that allows for very accurate temp controls, and quenched into a commercial heat treatment oil (haughtons k quench).

The two steels are almost the same, very small differences in composition and slightly more nickel in 15n20 gives the contrast, but heat treatment is the same for both steels so they should perform the same.

While Damascus should essentially be one piece of steel I agree that there is an increase in risk of delamination with that orientation. My next chisels will be Damascus on top of a monosteel to gain both performance and appearance.

Greatly appreciate the time you took to respond. Hopefully you an provide some critique on the next ones also.

Cheers

Matt

ian
11th October 2016, 03:40 PM
dredging my memory of metallurgy, and comments by other blade makers, my understanding is that at the level of the crystal structure within the metal, the difference between the two steels is sufficient to cause a problem.
Paul Williams who was the person behind the Academy Saw Works blades -- which unfortunately are no longer available -- told me once that the steel he favoured behaved differently depending on whether, when sharpened, the edge was parallel to or across the direction of rolling. The issue related to how the marstenite and austenite crystals broke off as the edge wore.

with your steels, I suspect that the crystal structure difference may be sufficient to be a problem. With a knife, micro fractures along the edge probably enhance it's performance as a cutting tool. From what I know, the same is not true for a plane or chisel blade.

mattm82
11th October 2016, 05:19 PM
There you go. I have to admit my understanding of the finer details of metallurgy are not there at all and your information is probably bang on.

Hopefully laminating a top of Damascus will alleviate that issue and be a functional tool