PDA

View Full Version : wood collection from grandfather and father

Christos1407
11th October 2016, 04:09 AM
Greetings
I posted a while ago the 1 piece of toona ciliata in a 400 piece collection. And it inspired me to catalogue the collection of timbers. If possible can someone tell me a rough estimate of collection so i can insure it properly. I will not hold the estimate against anyone - it is just a starting thing so i can contact insurance company and negotiate a deal based on approximate value. thanks Christos

Not enough!!
11th October 2016, 08:14 AM
Hello Christos, Any chance of converting that to a pdf or word/note pad format - please.

Gabriel
11th October 2016, 08:39 AM
As a hobbiest it looks like a list someone could have a bunch of fun with, and very well detailed list. Can't help with a commercial price tag, and given the sizes it would depend on how figured the lengths were but you have yourself some great stuff on paper

rustynail
11th October 2016, 08:52 AM
Wouldn't a retailer price list solve your problem? Google Trend Timber.

ian
11th October 2016, 03:26 PM
Hi Christo

Unfortunately I think much of your list represents off-cuts which would have little if any commercial value.
without seeing the ends of each piece, I would expect to loose around 100 to 200 mm from each length when machining it for use.

However, as a home hobbyist, I suspect that many of the shorts would be useable as box lid inserts or accents on picture frames and the like.

Mobyturns
12th October 2016, 06:53 AM
These will have value to you, and sentimental value of course, however I feel an insurance company for contents purposes will only give them a nominal value as "stock on hand" at best. Its a problem all wood workers & wood turners face, we realize the worth and scarcity of some of these pieces, but very few others do.

dai sensei
12th October 2016, 06:25 PM
Nice group of timbers.

As far as insurance, as others have said it is hard to say without a closer look, but to my knowledge insurance will not pay out on pieces like this anyway. As individual pieces, each would be probably less than your excess, and as a group it would be considered as "building materials" and hence not covered unless you are insuring as a business rather than a home owner.