PDA

View Full Version : Dust Cupboard design

Dazm
12th October 2016, 07:15 PM
So this is the design I've come up with for the dusty cupboard. Rather than make one large cupboard to house the entire unit I am trying to conserve space by making 1 x sealed cupboard for the dust collector bag and filter then a second cupboard just for the motor unit. The bag cupboard will have 2 or 3 PVC pipe vents at the bottom which will vent outside with the garage door up only about a foot.

Any opinions on this? I'm guessing it should work ok.

BobL
12th October 2016, 07:53 PM
So this is the design I've come up with for the dusty cupboard. Rather than make one large cupboard to house the entire unit I am trying to conserve space by making 1 x sealed cupboard for the dust collector bag and filter then a second cupboard just for the motor unit. The bag cupboard will have 2 or 3 PVC pipe vents at the bottom which will vent outside with the garage door up only about a foot.

Any opinions on this? I'm guessing it should work ok.

I understand what you are trying to do but the motor will over heat with that design - so either the motor box needs a fan and an air outlet (i.e. more mucking about and don't forget some noise will escape), or rout the air coming out of the filter through the motor box.
The second option will reduce air flow unless its done very carefully.

Dazm
12th October 2016, 08:04 PM
So just one larger seal box would be the best way to go?

woodPixel
12th October 2016, 08:04 PM
Why not put the motor on the output side of your design?

That way it will suck only clean air and giant lumps won't generate colossal bangs. Plus, you can then use a big section of regular flexible accordion aircon dusting to blast it all outside. Since it isnt subject to suction it can be quite flimsy, which will help packing it away.

BobL
12th October 2016, 08:11 PM
Try this.

Motor on the other side of the filters requires a truly air tight filter enclosure otherwise flow is lost but it should be easier to make as doorways can suck themselves onto seals easier that way.
It's kinds weird that it means even less dust will escape from it

Dazm
12th October 2016, 08:22 PM
So this would work even better?

The only opening for changing the bag will be on the port side so any leakage would be heading outside, that being said I was intending to put rubber seals all the way round the door and 4 x latches that pull the door closed tight so leakage should be minimal, this will allow the motor to be on the outside and suck clean air, a little bit noisier but it's never running for that long.

BobL
12th October 2016, 08:30 PM
I think WP means this but it leaves the noisy motor inside the shed - of course it could be moved outside to annoy the neighbours?

Dazm
12th October 2016, 08:50 PM
but it sucks through the motor unit then into the bag, you pic is around the other way Bob.

BobL
12th October 2016, 08:55 PM
but it sucks through the motor unit then into the bag, you pic is around the other way Bob.

The motor now sucks on the enclosure and creates a low pressure region inside the enclosure around the bag

Dazm
12th October 2016, 09:08 PM
Is there any issue to doing the way I had it with the motor outside the box sucking in to the sealed enclosure?

Also I will need to get the pipe up to roof height so will need to construct in one of the following, is one better than the other?

BobL
12th October 2016, 09:20 PM
Is there any issue to doing the way I had it with the motor outside the box sucking in to the sealed enclosure?

only the noise issue.

Dazm
12th October 2016, 09:24 PM
Ok cool, I can live with the noise issue.

Would either of the examples above work as I need to get the piping up to ceiling height?

Cheers.

BobL
12th October 2016, 09:46 PM
Ok cool, I can live with the noise issue.

Would either of the examples above work as I need to get the piping up to ceiling height?

Cheers.

Either would work

Dazm
12th October 2016, 09:59 PM
Either would work

Thanks Bob. Appreciate all the advice and the time you've given me.

Dazm
5th November 2016, 04:22 PM
Either would work

So this weekend I am building my dusty cabinet. I'm trying to decide on the best position for the motor and I've come up with three options and they all have negatives. Can anyone suggest the best of the three? Bob, any ideas?

1. Mount the motor on the floor where it is in the pic and run the pipe across a section of the floor to the middle (all my machines are in the middle of the workshop) DRAWBACK - Pipe running across floor = trip hazard

2. Mount the motor on the floor where it is in the pic and run the pipe straight up to the roof, along the roof and down to the machine area then along the floor under the machines DRAWBACK - I'm guessing I'll lose a lot of suction with the sharp elbow after it exits the impeller unit and heads to the ceiling.

3. Bolt the motor unit at ceiling height, run the piping along the roof and down to the machine area then along the floor under the machines DRAWBACK -It's bloody heavy and I'm worried the wall not be strong enough.

BobL
5th November 2016, 06:03 PM
I would go for option 3.

Dazm
5th November 2016, 06:09 PM
I would go for option 3.

You think the wall will be strong enough? It's a single brick exterior wall with pillars.

BobL
5th November 2016, 06:54 PM
You think the wall will be strong enough? It's a single brick exterior wall with pillars.

Should be OK - if necessary put 2 of the bolts right through the wall.
I would make a steel frame or wooden platform and mount it like this