PDA

View Full Version : Laminated turning

Fumbler
13th October 2016, 07:53 AM
I have recently been inspired to make my own carbide cutter lathe tools, due to cost of the real deal. And so far have managed to bring down the cost by some $90 per tool. I wanted to jazz things up a bit and am laminating several layers of 9mm marine ply outside of a Tassie oak core. And another with the same Tassie oak core and outside is Karri. my question is, 'is there a test I can perform to test the strength of my lamination process?' rather than wait for it to fly apart on the lathe and injure myself or worse, someone else as in a workshop. http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/sad/cry.gif Photo's to follow

turnerted
13th October 2016, 03:55 PM
It is very unlikely that a laminate like this in a tool handle would fail provided you use a quality glue like an exterior grade PVA or Tightbond and give it at least overnight to set . If you are really worried ,why not put a couple of hose clamps losely round your blank , stick it on the lathe and wack the speed up flat out as a test .
Ted

Fumbler
14th October 2016, 04:47 AM
Pic's as promised

Fumbler
15th October 2016, 01:55 AM
12mm stainless bar drilled and tapped.

Paul39
19th October 2016, 02:01 AM
When in doubt about the integrity of a turning, in my case mostly bowls, I put a few wraps of tape around the piece. I do my turning up to the tape, then semi finish, remove tape and put on the semi finished part, do the part under the tape, slow lathe and remove tape and completely finish.

I don't think you will have a problem if properly glued.

Fumbler
19th October 2016, 02:21 AM
I have used titebond, and had them clamped for 3 days, but I think the clamps may not have been tight enough due to being old and over used and slipping jut bit. I was still getting squeeze out so that's atleast 1 good sign. I'm more concerned for my fellow workers in the shop than myself, as am worth more to the wife D than A so not too fussed on that front. I may do as Ted suggested before the shop fills up anyone gets in the firing line. I might also keep them on and turn around them to begin with, also to ensure if it catches it wont fly off. I've been reading a bit more about clamping and a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing as now I am questioning my own ability: too much clamp is just as bad as not enough clamp etc.....

Christos
19th October 2016, 10:57 AM
There is no problem with questioning your self as it indicates you are thinking. By what you have said it doesn't sound as if these will fall apart.

hughie
19th October 2016, 04:33 PM
I have recently been inspired to make my own carbide cutter lathe tools, due to cost of the real deal. And so far have managed to bring down the cost by some $90 per tool. I wanted to jazz things up a bit and am laminating several layers of 9mm marine ply outside of a Tassie oak core. And another with the same Tassie oak core and outside is Karri. my question is, 'is there a test I can perform to test the strength of my lamination process?' rather than wait for it to fly apart on the lathe and injure myself or worse, someone else as in a workshop. http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/sad/cry.gif Photo's to follow

If your really worried change the glue to something like this http://oceanmasterpaints.com/pdf/tds/OceanMaster%20Resorcinol%20Glue.pdf
Bunnies used to sell it, dunno if they still do.

A simple delamination test by bending it to around 90' if you can. I would use a only a few layers so you can actually bend it. There much more sophisticated methods but this should be more than adequate.

Fumbler
20th October 2016, 03:45 AM
continued progress. 12mm sq stainless stock with cutter recess drilled/tapped and ground down with a little bit of elbow grease to remove file marks. Am getting there slowly, inbetween hearing "Dad! can you do this, Dad, can you do that? Dad can you change the batteries in my Wii controller?" the general response is "where's your mum?", but then I get the "you can do it when you've finished" yet 5min later, 'Dad when will you be finished?" AAARRRGGHHHH, anyway heres the pic. more polishing to do yet. By the way I was given a handy tip, obviously to go through the grades of wet/dry, but use water with dishwashing liquid in it. you'll notice the difference between the 2 pics.

Fumbler
20th October 2016, 03:46 AM
PS. I am not a metal worker by any means so apologise if shoddy workmanship.

Fumbler
22nd October 2016, 04:20 AM
More pics. This time, the bar stock before and after polishing, by hand by the way. After filing out the pits its 180/240/360/400/800/1200 wet/dry wrapped around a file and drawn up and down the bar. Also given a tip of using water with dishwashing liquid in it, works a treat and im sure you'll agree with the finish. Next with be to finish the other 2 then redo this one from 40/600/800/1200 then go to 1500 for all of them and then buff.
I guess i dont need to tell you which one is from the mlll and which one is polished but i do like the reflection of the phone though.

Doc58
22nd October 2016, 10:44 AM
Some serious polishing there, mate. Well done.

Fumbler
27th October 2016, 09:14 AM
Well, steady as she goes and here are some of the latest pics. BTW, has anyone come across continued blunting of chisels with turning plywood, I seriously had to continually sharpen the chisels as I think the amount of glue between sheets was dulling the chisels. Anyway progress has been made. Pics to follow.

Fumbler
1st November 2016, 01:37 AM
Well, I followed Ted's advice, put hose clamps on and all good. here are some of the polished stainless bar and handles. please note the scoring before polishing. nothing 5hrs of elbow grease wont fix.

Fumbler
25th November 2016, 06:12 AM
All finished. cant wait to use them. The middle one has, Karri, Zebrano, silky oak, vic ash, tas ok, African ash, Pine cant see as inside, Jarrah and a gift card