PDA

View Full Version : Wow moment watching this.

Bendigo Bob
17th October 2016, 01:28 PM
I guess this is the spot to post this one.

Imagine sharpening a plane, any sort of plane, to do what this guy does at the end. (Short clip)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuyNgr_10Qk

crowie
17th October 2016, 01:43 PM
That is more than WOW, it amazing!!!!

fletty
17th October 2016, 04:48 PM
I had just received a link to the same video from a lady who commissions some work from me. I was about to post it when I saw BB's description and I knew it was the same clip!
I hope my client isn't 'hinting'! :B

fletty

crowie
17th October 2016, 04:58 PM
I had just received a link to the same video from a lady who commissions some work from me. I was about to post it when I saw BB's description and I knew it was the same clip!
I hope my client isn't 'hinting'! :B

fletty

I think your pretty safe Alan as you're not old as the skilled craftsman in the video. Good excuse.

Kuffy
17th October 2016, 05:03 PM
I was wondering how he was going to cut the veneers. planing end grain perfectly like that was not what I had in mind.

I came across another of stankoff's clips earlier this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEya_J4WPYo

It's a neat trick. Major Stiction!

Bendigo Bob
17th October 2016, 05:15 PM
Still can't quite get my head around how they are able to do that ?????

Surely the resistance forces must be huge. Anyway Fletty, once you're up to speed on it, i'll come to the live demo.

NathanaelBC
17th October 2016, 06:21 PM
Was so hoping he was going to plane those veneers, wasn't disappointed and totally impressed.

fletty
17th October 2016, 07:00 PM
I think your pretty safe Alan as you're not old as the skilled craftsman in the video. Good excuse.

...... AND I couldn't sit on the floor for that long either?

Lappa
17th October 2016, 07:55 PM
Outstanding! Loved the wall of planes.

themage21
18th October 2016, 09:17 PM
Those videos are a rabbit hole when it comes to watching crazy level planing

old1955
19th October 2016, 02:48 PM
...... AND I couldn't sit on the floor for that long either?

+1 what felty said.

AlexS
21st October 2016, 05:56 PM
I've been to that place in Hakone but missed the live demo. Saw the same video and have one of the boxes. They have a large workshop with plenty of power machines under the shop, so it's not all hand work.
If you go to Japan, get the train to Hakone, visit the Picasso open air art museum, the walk up the hill to the woodwork shops.

dinosour
22nd October 2016, 01:43 PM
Absolutely stunning. How sharp are his planes. A true master craftsman

Robson Valley
30th October 2016, 03:48 AM
I can only add that the craftsman has extraordinary upper body strength to pull end grain veneers of any width!

Bendigo Bob
30th October 2016, 07:30 AM
Just realised myself that they are not actually planing end grain. In the beginning you can see him cut small triangular sections across the grain and then glue them together. So he is compiling a fascinating set of end grain glue ups which is another set of problems altogether :) But then the planing at the end is a BIT easier I guess.