PDA

View Full Version : What type of nailer gun?

ms0031
30th August 2005, 04:25 PM
Hi,
I will be installing some floorboards in the coming weeks and I would like to use a nailer gun to hold down the cypress pine floorboards. Would anyone know what type of nailer gun should I be looking at? Should it be a nailer or stapler gun, air or electric? What size nails/staples should I use for 19mm cypress pine? I would like the nails to enter from above rather than the side (as in hidden nailing). I do have a basic $90 compressor that I purchased from Bunnings recently. Thanks for your help in advance.

Stuart
30th August 2005, 05:07 PM
Personally, for the price, I don't mind the GMC nail gun- have used it quite successfully with both a 24L and 40L air compressor.

boban
30th August 2005, 10:40 PM
I would purchase a C-series nail gun as it is the most common. Do not buy the "C1" series as this is a thinner type of nail. Buy some air tool oil as well.

If you are nailing into softwood joists , then I would use a 50mm nail. If nailing into hardwood, I would use 38mm nails. If you have some time, then I also use liquid nails in addition to the nails. Doing it this way virtually eliminates creaking boards.

BTW I dont think cypress is available with a secret nailing profile anyway so top nailing is the only option.

Gaza
31st August 2005, 01:10 AM
Yep, Boban your right cypress needs to be top nailed,

You would need at least a 50mm Brad it either "C" series but i only use "ND" for flooring they are a bigger.

Having small compressor you may have to take it slow nailing ie not fire a hundread nails a min as they compressor needs to cylce to fill tank.

Pulpo
31st August 2005, 01:14 PM
Try searching this topic it has been mentioned and discussed on many occassions.

I think the tools section is better than home rennovations.

Go for a C angle bradder I think 15ga.

Many brands to choose from but cheaper ones tend not to be angled.

Good luck

Pulpo

grinner
31st August 2005, 01:27 PM
I've been using the GMC C Brad gun with a $99 GMC compressor on my floor. I'm using Blackbutt, and I hired a Secret Nailer to do the majority of the work, but I've needed to use the C brad gun to get into the tight spots up close to the walls. I've also used liquid nails to glue the boards down.

Grinner:D

Dan_574
31st August 2005, 01:33 PM
i was advised against using liquid nails for flooring because as everyone knows wood moves and liquid nails isnt designed for this application because it isnt flexible. Use a specific flloring glue such as bostick ultra set.

ms0031
31st August 2005, 02:09 PM
Thank you all for your advice, I have now a much better idea as to what I should be looking for. This is the first time I've used this site and I think it's great!

sol381
31st August 2005, 02:15 PM
Do NOT use a brad nailer. The nail heads are too small and the nails to weak. They probably wont even go thru the board and joist. You need to get a T-nailer with 45/ 2.2 T nails.. Tradetools have their own trade quality one for about $220 or an owner builer one for about $100.
regards stef.

custos
31st August 2005, 03:07 PM
This may not be an option for you but when we had floorboards laid we first put down yellow-tongue (chipboard) flooring, and then had the floorboards nailed and glued to that. The yellow-tongue is a pretty cheap extra and it eliminates creaking, gives extra insulation and protection from moisture from underneath your floorboards, and gives you somewhere to walk while attaching the floorboards :)

Stu
31st August 2005, 06:22 PM
I sell airtools for a living. A "C" series bradder will do what you want, an ND bradder would be better but costs a lot more. Straight bradders are better for flooring than an angle bradder in my opinion, angle bradders are great for getting into corners for skirting etc though. Depending on the thickness of your floorboards anything from a 38 to a 50 mm brad can be used.
GMC are ok for a one off job, but beware you may end up taking 3 back before you get a good one so make sure you purchase from somewhere which has a good returns policy, as with most tools you get what you pay for.
Another option to buying is to hire a tool depending on how long you think you will need to lay the floor.
Cheers

Santalum
31st August 2005, 06:39 PM
Evening Stu,
I am in the market for a framing nail gun, after some research have come up with the Stanley Bostitch N88 as the top contender, what's your opinion of this particular gun?
I am interested in your thoughts as a person in the industry.
Thanks,
Jon.

I sell airtools for a living. A "C" series bradder will do what you want, an ND bradder would be better but costs a lot more. Straight bradders are better for flooring than an angle bradder in my opinion, angle bradders are great for getting into corners for skirting etc though. Depending on the thickness of your floorboards anything from a 38 to a 50 mm brad can be used.
GMC are ok for a one off job, but beware you may end up taking 3 back before you get a good one so make sure you purchase from somewhere which has a good returns policy, as with most tools you get what you pay for.
Another option to buying is to hire a tool depending on how long you think you will need to lay the floor.
Cheers

Stu
31st August 2005, 09:03 PM
The n88ww2 is priced well and has plenty of power. We have had some problems with the triggers on this model as well as the n80.
cheers Stu

Santalum
31st August 2005, 11:31 PM
Thanks Stu.

The n88ww2 is priced well and has plenty of power. We have had some problems with the triggers on this model as well as the n80.
cheers Stu

vsquizz
31st August 2005, 11:56 PM
Do NOT use a brad nailer. The nail heads are too small and the nails to weak. They probably wont even go thru the board and joist. You need to get a T-nailer with 45/ 2.2 T nails.. Tradetools have their own trade quality one for about $220 or an owner builer one for about $100.
regards stef.

Hey Sol...Oils aint...oops (sorry:o ) Sol, your post makes a lot of sense to me..can I ask, are you a tradie or just speaking from personal/home experience?.

Cheers

sol381
1st September 2005, 09:00 AM
Yeah im a builder. A t-nailer should be used for flooring because the nails have a thicker gauge are stronger and the heads are bigger giving more strength in holding the flooring to the joist. Bradders are mainly used for finishing(hence the name finishing gun). they are used for skirting and architraves mainly.. Either but a cheap t-nailer or hire one. If you have hardwood joists use 45mm nails if they are pine then you can go to 50mm.
regards stef

grinner
1st September 2005, 11:37 AM
In responce to Sol, I would like to clarify my previous post. I was laying my floorboards onto yellowtoungue, and using the secretnail staples and the C bradder, as well as glueing. If I was laying the boards onto the joists, I agree that the C bradder would probably not be suitable.

Grinner :D

ms0031
1st September 2005, 02:16 PM
Thank you all for your very helpfull comments. Sol, I think I'll go with your suggestion and get the T Nailer, Tradetools are selling it for $99 as you said, Thanks again everyone.