PDA

View Full Version : Hand planed finish help

shanesmith80
22nd October 2016, 08:12 PM
Gday,

So been working on trying to get a finish straight from the plane. And here it is on some Blackwood.

Not the greatest light today but the best photo I could manage.
The first photo is the whole board and the 2nd zoomed in a bit to see my problem.
The faint white lines going with the grain, and some obvious ridges on the left are now visible on the zoomed shot.
Whats causing this? They are not plane tracks because they are coming from the middle of the blade (or anywhere on the blade). The blade is a freshly sharpened HSS HNT Smoother.
I also just flattened the sole on 400grit sandpaper. Is it likely to be from some marks in the plane soul that I can't see? Or minor imperfections in my blade's sharpness. It was sharpened on cast iron with diamond paste, my first go.

I also tried it on some Camphor and Silly oak. The lines where present but not as noticeable.
Any thoughts and tips.
Cheers
Shane

auscab
22nd October 2016, 08:56 PM
I think you either have a nick in the blade ,or a ding in the sole which has a little protrusion at its edge or the blade is ground straight without a camber and a left or right corner of the blade is doing it .
Rob

Kuffy
22nd October 2016, 09:06 PM
Are your shavings coming out of the plane solid across its full width? Or are they all broken up, which would indicate that your blade edge is damaged/microchipped.

You can check if it is the plane sole by raising the blade high enough so it doesn't cut and just dragging the plane around the timber and see if it is damaging the surface at all.

shanesmith80
25th October 2016, 08:49 AM
Thanks guys. Getting full width shavings. Reflattened and rehoned the blade. Also
tried with my 4 1/2. Getting better results but still not perfect. I think it is the plane soul making the marks. Will keep working on it.

Christos
25th October 2016, 09:31 AM
Sometimes I get this as well. I find that the blade while not chambered was slightly skewed and one edge was digging in.

Something that I did try when I had this issue was pull back the blade back inside the body of the plane and push across the wood to see if I still had scratches. Not sure if this did anything but it was a way in my mind to see if it was the body of the plane making the scratches.

Luke Maddux
25th October 2016, 02:25 PM
I agree, probably a non-uniformity in the sole of the plane. Probably nothing a bit of lapping on some 240 grit paper stuck to glass can't fix.

Alastair
25th October 2016, 03:41 PM
Another thought:
It can happen that you get shavings jammed , particularly at either side of the blade,.
These then burnish the timber very similar to what I see there.

Alastair

ian
26th October 2016, 03:28 PM
Shane could you a piece of grit embedded in the plane's sole?

fletty
26th October 2016, 06:29 PM
Another thought:
It can happen that you get shavings jammed , particularly at either side of the blade,.
These then burnish the timber very similar to what I see there.

Alastair

Hi Shane,
I had a similar issue with my HNT smoother and it seemed to be the shaving at either end of the blade wasnt escaping smoothly past the brass buttresses that the blade is wedged against? As that part of the shaving 'bunched' a little before escaping, it burnished the planed surface. I don't have any 'micro' science to support this observation but I got in there with some auto cut-and-polish and polished up the brass and the problem went away?
fletty

artful bodger
26th October 2016, 07:36 PM
Perhaps you are being too critical on yourself? The blackwood has a bit of figure in it and the plane has cut it very nicely with no tearing.
If you are going to sand it as well then the tiny imperfections will soon vanish.
Looks like a pretty good job in my books, give yourself a slap on the back!

Alastair
27th October 2016, 01:11 PM
Perhaps you are being too critical on yourself? The blackwood has a bit of figure in it and the plane has cut it very nicely with no tearing.
If you are going to sand it as well then the tiny imperfections will soon vanish.
Looks like a pretty good job in my books, give yourself a slap on the back!

I must say that if it can be attained, an "off-the-plane" finish yields a much better result than a sanded one. Definitely more "spang" when oiled of FP'd.

I still clearly remember a demo by a club member years ago, (L&G joiner).
He took a (perfectly set up!!) plane to a piece of Kiaat. He then scribed a line down the board and sanded to 400# on half the board.

Wiped on Danish Oil, and the difference in appearance stood out like ***'* b*lls

Alastair