PDA

View Full Version : Huon pine platter

dennisk
23rd October 2016, 02:44 PM
the wife and i were down in oz in april, visited Henry in Sydney, Ian in Townsville, and had a great time. Henry gave me a piece of huon pine and i turned this platter with a lead filled black walnut base for a challenge, not much luck there, but thought i would send some pics down under. its about 12" by 3 3/4" and pine is finished with lacquer and walnut with DO. the base is filled with used tire weights, and gives is a good solid feel.comments welcome.397909397910397911397912

smiife
23rd October 2016, 05:30 PM
Hi dennisk,
Nice job , well done !
I like the shape and the contrast between the two
timbers......:2tsup:

Xanthorrhoeas
23rd October 2016, 05:40 PM
I would call a dish fixed to a base like that a comport. Whatever its called it looks good! I love Huon but would not have thought of that contrasting base.

powderpost
23rd October 2016, 05:50 PM
Looks good, pity you didn't come 5 hours further north, we could have had a yarn. I bet you noticed a little more than a "bit" of difference in turning those two species???

Jim

Old Croc
23rd October 2016, 08:10 PM
You came all the way from there to Townsville and did not visit my heavily overloaded timber store?
Rgds,
Crocy.

Nanigai
23rd October 2016, 10:05 PM
Nice piece as usual Dennis, still waiting to see what you do with that little burl you took back.:U

Cheers, Ian

dennisk
24th October 2016, 03:42 AM
thx guys,re the contrast, the challenge was for 2 different woods, and i liked the way the bw worked with the spike knot in the pine.
re the different timbers,bw is easy peasy to turn and the base is actually 4 or 5 layers at 90 to each other to get different look, i know its blasphemy, but its dry up here and the bw doesnt move, the huon turned like butter, just wish i had more! there is only so much room for timber after visiting Ian and going to the Atherton tablelands( i think one of my favorite places in the world. and oz is my 5th continent)
sorry Crocy, next time?
Ian, we were so busy when we got back with the biggest house of my 40 year building career, but this winter. i really want to something special with that, i dont think it will turn like butter

great way to start a sunday morning, thx again guys dk

Nanigai
24th October 2016, 10:18 PM
Hey dennis,
Must have been a pretty big joint to eclipse everything in your building career, hope you made a few bob(dollars) out of it.
Yes I expect that burl may be just a little harder than your local timbers, suggest you hone your tools well before you start, and then during and then just keep it up till you finish I guess. :D
Cheers mate,
Ian