PDA

View Full Version : My Grandfather's Segmented Woodturning.

Meldge
24th October 2016, 04:19 PM
Hi All,

I hope it's okay to post a video in here, I'm hoping I'm safe in the General Turning forum.
Anyway, here is a YouTube link to some of my late Grandfather's work that I thought needed sharing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN78OwhAZQM

Cheers,

Dan.

powderpost
24th October 2016, 04:28 PM
Some very nice pieces there, well worth a look.

Jim

smiife
24th October 2016, 08:13 PM
Segmented woodturners must be the most patient people in the world:U

Meldge
31st October 2016, 09:01 PM
Thanks Jim, I thought so too...

Smiife, there are stories of him setting alarms at 2am so that he could get up and get the next pieces glued and clamped. Need to maximise all the time we have I guess.

Dalboy
31st October 2016, 11:05 PM
I only flicked through but from the little I did see he certainly had some talent. I will take another look later today as i have some wood on the lathe at the moment which is calling me.

Paul39
1st November 2016, 11:32 AM
Hi All,

I hope it's okay to post a video in here, I'm hoping I'm safe in the General Turning forum.
Anyway, here is a YouTube link to some of my late Grandfather's work that I thought needed sharing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN78OwhAZQM

Cheers,

Dan.

I am most impressed with the shapes and design of the progressions of the segments. I have not seen anything like them before. I am still doing "round and brown" and have not yet explored all the possibilities of crazy grain, spalted timber, and partially rotted stumps.

I very much admire segmented turnings, but at age 77 may not get to doing them.

Your grandfather was an artist and craftsman. Thanks for posting the video.

artful bodger
1st November 2016, 05:54 PM
Very inspiring!
Thanks for posting Meldge.
Did your grandad ever sell any of his pieces, or was it more a thing he did for pure pleasure?

Meldge
8th November 2016, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the kind words Paul39, it's never to late to start. You are already turning, next it's just cutting and gluing before turning...
Start simple with some strips and no fancy designs.

Very inspiring!
Thanks for posting Meldge.
Did your grandad ever sell any of his pieces, or was it more a thing he did for pure pleasure?
Hi artful bodger, as far as I am aware nothing was ever sold. The collection is still complete minus the few that he gifted out.

I find it all very inspiring as well, I hope to attempt something of similar style one day.

artful bodger
8th November 2016, 08:24 PM
Go and get yourself a lathe at once Meldge, might just be in your blood.
Your grandads bits kick bottoms!. Some very original ideas going on there.
Thanks for posting.

Meldge
9th November 2016, 09:19 AM
Go and get yourself a lathe at once Meldge, might just be in your blood.
Your grandads bits kick bottoms!. Some very original ideas going on there.
Thanks for posting.

I have a little MC900 and some tools. No sharpening setup yet though so no more turning until that is sorted.

I had never used one before but I jumped in and tried it out, so far I have done:
Spinning top for my 1st born
Captive ring rattle for the newborn
Bud vase for the wife
Two more bud vases
A turning still to be finished that I hope to make look like a water pourer
A bud vase for my mum
A small bowl.

Fingers crossed that there is more to come, redesigning the garage \ 'shop' at the moment.

Drillit
9th November 2016, 10:10 AM
Hello Dan,
You are no doubt very proud. They are beautiful.
Thank, you for sharing with us. I will look at them again
to-day and try to get some inspiration for unsegmented pieces. Thank you. Drillit.

d5k
9th November 2016, 08:39 PM
Fantastic work, thanks for sharing. :2tsup:

Hardenfast
19th November 2016, 11:46 AM
Sensational work, and a great legacy.

Mobyturns
21st November 2016, 07:55 AM
Some very nice pieces there, well worth a look.

Jim

Jim, that's a bit of an understatement.

Very interesting and exceptional joinery techniques, some of which I have no idea how he has accomplished the effect as there are no tell tale joinery lines to give any clues. The one thing that has me most impressed is the age of some of the pieces and how the joinery has stood the test of time. the earliest I noticed was 1980 to the video date of 1995, some 15 years for the platter. Many of the pieces do not appear to be hollowed to the wall thicknesses accepted these days but still exceptional work.