PDA

View Full Version : Maloof joints

Lappa
25th October 2016, 07:46 AM
I've been following groeneaj's great WIP rocker and have been researching the making of Maloof joints. Must have a go:D
I found the following which goes into detail on forming the joint section in the seat (Didn't like the chip out on the first rebate routed:oo:)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GtIya-NYBwI

I also found a number of sites selling "Maloof router bit sets" but there seems to be a variations in size which I can appreciate for different size joints.
In the YouTube video he states that the width of the rebate bit "must be 1 1/2" diam to match the 3/4" round over bit" - which is logical. What he doesnt state is the rebate width it will cut (which obviously depends on the width of the bearing) which is how you buy Carbitool bits.
Is that critical or will you just match it with the depth of the rebate in the leg?
Carbitool has a 1/2" rebate bit with a 1/2" bearing which obviously makes a 1 1/2" wide bit. I already have a 3/4" round over bit which is why I'm going for the 1 1/2" rebate bit.

Cheers - Peter

shanesmith80
25th October 2016, 08:22 PM
I am certainly not 100% on this but I don't believe it would matter. Like in a dado joint its just about getting the size right for what your joining, which in my mind its essentially what this is.

As for matching bit set, I'm sure its great to have ones that are made to go together, but I made this joint on a small chair and the 2 bits I used aren't even same brand.
398095 The rebate bit is from Frued and I think it gave a 1/2 inch rebate, and the 3/4 inch round over from carbitool.

It took a little finessing with sandpaper to get it just right, but was a fun joint to make.

Lappa
25th October 2016, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't interested in buying sets, I was trying to get an idea whether I could mix and match the rebate bits I have with the round overs I have. I have a draw full of bits which I have bought over the years for various jobs:rolleyes:
I have a Freud rebate bit set with multiple bearing sizes - it looks like it will do the job.

BTW. Your joints look great.

shanesmith80
26th October 2016, 10:22 AM
Thanks Lappa. I think I done a quick trial on some scraps to check the round over fit the rebate.
By the way, the one on an angle. Involved a lot of head scratching.