PDA

View Full Version : Dust from a dusty

woodPixel
27th October 2016, 06:06 PM
As BobL has said one billion times, a dusty always leaks.

My 2HP generic with a pleated filter has undergone a vigeous anti-leak process involving packing tape to seal every nook and cranny.

Imagine my surprise after a lllllooong 3 days on the table saw to find a fine dust deposit on the motor housing.... How did you get there I thought.... Tracking it with an incense stick.... It was the pipe running from the motor to the main housing!!!

4 tiny cracks in the pipe itself!

The billions and billions of abrasions have finally worn down the inside of the pipes ridge on the outside curve sufficiently enough to make a tiny leak.

Curses!

A bit of clear packing tape to wrap around from top to bottom solved that.... But it shows one needs to be diligent!

Kuffy
27th October 2016, 08:26 PM
If I could get a clear shot of my dusty, you would see globs and globs of Selleys All Clear all over every single weld. It stopped the leaks quick smart! Though I can't fix the leak between impellor housing and motor shaft. probably needs some kind of inboard motor marine solution which is a smidge above my harry hack level of knowledge.

BobL
27th October 2016, 08:33 PM
As BobL has said one billion times, a dusty always leaks.

My 2HP generic with a pleated filter has undergone a vigeous anti-leak process involving packing tape to seal every nook and cranny.

Imagine my surprise after a lllllooong 3 days on the table saw to find a fine dust deposit on the motor housing.... How did you get there I thought.... Tracking it with an incense stick.... It was the pipe running from the motor to the main housing!!!

4 tiny cracks in the pipe itself!

The billions and billions of abrasions have finally worn down the inside of the pipes ridge on the outside curve sufficiently enough to make a tiny leak.

Curses!

A bit of clear packing tape to wrap around from top to bottom solved that.... But it shows one needs to be diligent!

That's the problem with DCs inside a shed. It doesn't seem to matter how well you seal them up other leaks will eventually develop and by the time you notice it you shed will be fully contaminated.

woodPixel
28th October 2016, 01:11 AM
Indeed. Contamination.

I despise dust, heat and noise. As a woodworker, this makes for some severe challenges.

An open shed, in a tall forest, 17° day and night with a light northerly breeze and the sound of the trickling creek bed running by the shed.... when I win the lotto! :D

I'm still going to put the DC into a cupboard with a big area nano filter on the end of the muffler... simply because the heat kills me.

But I was amazed to see those tiny holes caused by erosion in the pipe. By Zeus!