PDA

View Full Version : Hey Dean

DaveInOz
31st August 2005, 01:01 PM
Now that you have a multi page review spread, a stand alone review in AWR, and your booming web site. when do we get our respirators and beer ??

Remeber this??? (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=5050)

:)

Thommo
31st August 2005, 02:39 PM
Good memory DaveInOz, I'm glad that I'm still active:D

Regards Thommo, who will look good in the triton dust mask

DaveInOz
2nd September 2005, 10:30 AM
I've made room in my shed waiting for the mask, and creating room in the fridge will be a pleasure :)

Dean
2nd September 2005, 11:34 AM
Hmm let's see... $1 million dollar earnings from website...
Yep, Only about $998,000 to go :)

I have hoenstly made some money off my website over the 3 years its been running. Enough to buy a new DSLR and a good lens (of which now takes the photos for the recent reviews you now see). Aside from that, there is not much else :cool:

Given a conservative estimate of 2,000 words per article (some are 5000!) and about 90 reviews total = 180,000 words... that's about $0.0111 per word earnings, and then the tax man takes his share :(

As you can see, I do it as a hobby more than anything else :D
Now, if I was actually selling tools myself, this may be a totally different story :)

The AWR articles are pretty much independant of the website. No links there. Heck, I havent even got a orange helmet of my own yet. 2 kids to feed and a wife with expensive taste :rolleyes:

Groggy
2nd September 2005, 11:57 AM
Dean, I've read most of your reviews, and the website on a regular basis. I've also read some of the quite unfair comments made to you at times - even in this forum. I think you do a pretty good and balanced job, I hope you stick to it.

(edit) I just had one of those random thoughts run through my head. It would be nice to have a reviewer such as yourself at the Woodworking shows explaining to people what to look for in tools - how to identify quality etc. 10 mins on a particular type routers/drills/TSs/BSs etc.

Cheers.

Dean
2nd September 2005, 12:01 PM
As long as readers find it worthwhile, I will continue on, or at least until my brain's reserve of written text runs out :)

DaveInOz
2nd September 2005, 01:22 PM
Now, if I was actually selling tools myself, this may be a totally different story :)

Unfortunatly if you sold tools your reviews would probably lose credability. If you get stats on click throughs to the sellers you could build a case for commission :rolleyes: :rolleyes: as if you haven't thought of these things :o

Dean
2nd September 2005, 01:25 PM
Dave, yes that is indeed the case. Gotta remain neutral as much as possible with reviews.

journeyman Mick
2nd September 2005, 03:09 PM
.............and a wife with expensive taste :rolleyes:

You mean there's other types? :eek:

Mick

Dean
2nd September 2005, 06:31 PM
LOL
Probably not on this planet.

echnidna
2nd September 2005, 06:39 PM
My wifes most expensive habit is Bob