PDA

View Full Version : How to store freshly cut blackwood

Uncle Henry
1st November 2016, 07:48 PM
Hi all,

I live in the Dandenong Ranges and we have lots of blackwoods around.
The last big one we took down in our garden was used for firewood :-. I still have another dead standing one to take down when I get round to it.

This very small one came down in the last storms a couple of weeks ago so I thought I'd try and make better use of it.
What am I going to use it for? No idea yet. I'm just a beginner so still learning, currently practicing on basic stuff like birdhouses, chopping boards, clocks and other simple stuff, maybe a basic hall table but certainly not high end furniture.
I have a lathe so could use some for tool handles, rolling pins, pen blanks etc (although it would make a hell of a lot of pens!)

Whatever's left will go in the Coonara.

Longest length maybe 12-1500mm.
Largest diameter is about 300mm but a bit soft in the centre.

All I've done today is paint the ends and stacked in an open wall shed.

Given the largest I'm likely to be able to work with is 100-150mm (I currently have a 4" jointer but will look for a 6" before long) do I rip the large straighter pieces in half or quarter to dry quicker? (this would be with a chainsaw). I'm hesitant to try and cut into slimmer sections as if it warps I can re-saw it.
Is the 1 year per inch thickness rule about right? I don't want to wait 12 years to use it.

Leave the bark on or strip it?
Leave in the open air shed or try and clear a spot in my garage for some smaller pieces?

I tried the search but nothing really turned up.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Pagie
1st November 2016, 08:39 PM
I'd mill it to a size you can use plus a bit, maybe a 1/3 bigger. Then stack it under cover if you can with some weights on it to hold it flat. I'm up near Emerald and can show you how to mill it. PM me if you want it milled.

Uncle Henry
1st November 2016, 09:40 PM
I'd mill it to a size you can use plus a bit, maybe a 1/3 bigger. Then stack it under cover if you can with some weights on it to hold it flat. I'm up near Emerald and can show you how to mill it. PM me if you want it milled.

Cheers Pagie,

I'm only down the road from you in Belgrave.
When you say mill it, is it as simple as ripping it as straight as possible with a chainsaw or is it a bit more technical?

Pagie
1st November 2016, 09:59 PM
I have a few chainsaw mills. So it can be milled straight. Have a look at the Small Milling site. Go to You tube and look at Alaskan mills.
If you bring the logs up I'll show you how.

Uncle Henry
1st November 2016, 11:02 PM
Sounds great. Always keen to learn new things.

PM inbound.

Pagie
5th November 2016, 09:56 PM
399044Uncle Henry milling his log.

Uncle Henry
6th November 2016, 08:47 PM
That pic shows how little hair I have left on top :(

Thanks so much again for the help yesterday.
The bonus impromptu turning lesson was great!

I successfully turned a chisel handle yesterday then found a Titan chisel at the market this morning to fit it.

I had a crack at turning a bowl which is a bit of a disaster so far but I'll keep at it.

Just toying up building vs buying a chainsaw mill now.

Pagie
6th November 2016, 08:55 PM
I went down to the tool sale at hawthorn this morn and bought a mortiser to fit on one of the chainsaws. Some nice tools there but I think I have enough. Glad you had a go at the turning, it will get easier, come up again and have another go on the lathe.