PDA

View Full Version : where can i get cheap construciton wood in sydney?

neophyte
1st November 2016, 08:38 PM
i plan on building these jerk boxes How to Build Jerk Boxes (http://www.endofthreefitness.com/how-to-build-jerk-boxes/) so that gives u the idea of wood i want, i guess its construction wood, im only building the bottom two boxes plus the top, i worked out my plans and how much it wall be from bunnings and it was around $550, you can buy full sets for professionally made for around 900-1000, im only building the bottom two boxes plus the lid so half of whats on there, so the total cost would go up to prob near 600-800 if i were to build it all from bunnings. so they must be a rip off for wood.

anyone know where is a good place to get cheap construction lumber where they can ideally cut it for you, but thats not crucial. im in parramatta sydney btw

clear out
2nd November 2016, 08:13 AM
Might be worthwhile looking at 1" plywood.
Hardware and general had 8 x 4 foot sheet for about $100.
Free delivery.
Not sure if they cut, if you don't have the gear maybe try Mitchell's at Lidcome.
They do cut to size.
H.

old1955
2nd November 2016, 11:54 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Fuzzie
2nd November 2016, 12:31 PM
Looks to me like those boxes could be made from recycled shipping pallets. Cost $0.

woodPixel
2nd November 2016, 01:29 PM
I'd use ply or 18mm MDF and glue everything.

If you wanted really tough, use 25mm MDF. Screw first, but pre-drill all the holes. Plasterboard screws will do the job while the glue dries.

If price were an issue, as Fuzzie says - then pallets are definitely the way to go.

issatree
3rd November 2016, 12:08 AM
Hi neophyte,
Bunnings by all means, BUT out in the rubbish yard, So much 3x1, & if your lucky, you could pick up some reasonable 4 Ply.
You have to get Permission, & will have someone watching you. Will need good saw, pinch bar, good hammer to remove some nails.
What I have done is to just cut off all the nail sections, then you have some great boards, & may need a bit of a Plane Up, best thing is they are all FREE.

Sawdust Maker
3rd November 2016, 08:34 AM
If you are at all thinking of using the top to jump on and off I wouldn't go anywhere near MDF - I've seen it fail after repeated use in such a situation

I'd be on the lookout for pallets for cheap timber