PDA

View Full Version : Kauri pine

neddy
31st August 2005, 02:18 PM
Hi all...........I have some big lengths of Kauri pine in which I want to make stuff out of. Dimensions are 65mm x 230mm x 3.6meter long. It was part of a beer vat from CUB so they have a slight curve in them (if you could imagine these pieces standing longways all joined together to make a vessel). So whats the best way about getting these things milled and or thicknessed. I suppose I may need some pieces at 30mm thick, I'm pretty sure I couldn't magage that on my own......so do timber yards provide this sort of service and if so does any one know of a place in Melbourne's Western suburbs? Thanks.......

nine fingers
31st August 2005, 08:32 PM
Hi Neddy,
I envy you with all that kauri pine . You will most probally have to break it down yourself as commercial machinists will not touch 2nd hand timber ,even though your kauri would have no nails. I guess the timber is varnished on the outside and painted in the inside.
I purchased two vats from CUB when they took over Ballarat Breweries many years ago.
The kauri from these vats was approx 160 x65 (57 planks to a vat 3.6 m long.
I used it for a couple of kitchens plus all types of furniture,table and chairs,coffee tables, wall units etc,beautiful to work with ,finishes well but still a pine (soft).
regards Nine Fingers :)