PDA

View Full Version : Teak timbers finishing

Clinton1
5th November 2016, 01:45 PM
Hey all. I would greatly appreciate your advice, or discussion.

I have some Teak that is really important to me for personal reasons. I pulled it out of a war zone that I was operating in. It is open site grown, so the growth rings are pretty wide, lots of honey blond sapwood from minor growth development and dark chocolate figure. There is also 'war 'damage' in the timber in the form of bullets and shrapenel...

The table top piece of timber is 8'x6' and 1/2" thick made from 12" to 18" wide boards. Its all been surface planed, and was dried in a bodgy homemade kiln. It has sat in my sheds for 5 years to dry and stabilise. I have a lot of other boards as well, both 8' long and 5' long. Its stabilised really well, and its time for me to impact on the timber.

I am thinking about making a table top, or bed head out of it,
and making the legs and rails of the table from a really strong Australian timber (physical strength and color, red, & strong) to support the Timorese top.... such as Ironbark.
I think I'd like to match to chocolate brown and honey blonde timber with dark red Aussie timber.
This appeals to me as I am an Aussie, who was operating in a Timor Leste war zone... so mixing the right Aussie timber and Timorese Teak is a good and required thing.

I do not want to finish the table top with a plastic skin, and am thinking that a oil finish with applied heat (through a lambswool finishing pad) might be the go. However my finishing experience is really limited into varnishing and french polishing.

Could you think about (and recommend ) (with reasons) what I should finish my timber with. but.... plastic based options are not going to be really entertained.

All advice respectfully received. I want to make this timer 'pop'

wheelinround
5th November 2016, 03:24 PM
Teak Oil is what I have used in the past Clinton that was on a repair job. I have used spray on cellulose lacquer on a pen.