PDA

View Full Version : A load of Silky Oak, now what to do?

Cal
6th November 2016, 09:46 PM
Just picked up a load of Silky Oak, another tree to cut and collect next weekend. Now for the new chainsaw!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161106/1fa3bf66344ede6595f47463a697024d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cal
7th November 2016, 04:36 PM
Working out which chainsaw to get now, HUSQVARNA 390 XP or Stihl MS661? I think I like the Husky?

Gabriel
7th November 2016, 07:11 PM
Hey mate, nice looking haul. I did something similar 6 months ago. THE only advice I can give is make sure you check if you're allergic to the stuff. 2 days after spending a weekend cutting it up my eyes puffed up and I had a rash for weeks. I'm guessing if you cut up those logs then you would know by now if you are going to react. ... but just be mindful .

Good luck and show us you setup/progress...

P.s. I'd go the stihl, but I've never owned a husky, and I'm only a weekend warrior

Cheers
Gab

John.G
7th November 2016, 08:10 PM
Dunno about the 390, but I run 3 x 395XPW's for a reason... I ran Stihl's for years but the MS 660 (ain't got to play with a 661 yet and no real desire to try) won't blow wind up their arses. Won't blow wind up the of an 066 magnum or 056 magII either... the emissions control stuff ruined the bigger Stihls as a hardwood saw... they'be got plenty HP at a bazillion RPM but lack the torque curve to handle long bars in hard timber well.

auscab
7th November 2016, 08:55 PM
Either saw is going to be fine I reckon. I've got a 359 Husqvarna that I was free hand milling with the other day . Smaller I suppose ? It worked though.First time doing this for me with my chainsaw , I was pretty happy with what I got out of what would have otherwise just been firewood . You need to know what you intend to make out of the wood , that's got to be an important first decision . I want to do a pair of Chairs , so placed a chair of similar size nearby and just messured of it in handspans and cut the parts longer than needed . I'm not building that type of chair , completely different , but the size is close . Cutting close to what you want means you may be able to build in two or three years if your wood is two or three inches thick . It's a year per inch for air drying as a rough guide .

Rob

Cal
7th November 2016, 10:28 PM
Hey mate, nice looking haul. I did something similar 6 months ago. THE only advice I can give is make sure you check if you're allergic to the stuff. 2 days after spending a weekend cutting it up my eyes puffed up and I had a rash for weeks. I'm guessing if you cut up those logs then you would know by now if you are going to react. ... but just be mindful .

Good luck and show us you setup/progress...

P.s. I'd go the stihl, but I've never owned a husky, and I'm only a weekend warrior

Cheers
Gab

Yep, I know what you mean. I have some red marks on my arms from it. I was aware of the reaction to Silky Oak beforehand. Will take precautions prior to slab cutting it. And clean up after it's cut too. [emoji106]

Cal
7th November 2016, 10:37 PM
Dunno about the 390, but I run 3 x 395XPW's for a reason... I ran Stihl's for years but the MS 660 (ain't got to play with a 661 yet and no real desire to try) won't blow wind up their arses. Won't blow wind up the of an 066 magnum or 056 magII either... the emissions control stuff ruined the bigger Stihls as a hardwood saw... they'be got plenty HP at a bazillion RPM but lack the torque curve to handle long bars in hard timber well.

Thanks for your input, I have read contradictory stories on the net about Stihl/Husky I got the feeling more felt the Husky had the edge over Stihl. I am going to go the 390 or 395, I'm leaning towards the 390 though. Not sure I want to slab with a 36" bar, I don't have the "need" for timber that big. I think the 390 will be more than enough power for the slab sizes I want.

Cal
7th November 2016, 10:49 PM
Either saw is going to be fine I reckon. I've got a 359 Husqvarna that I was free hand milling with the other day . Smaller I suppose ? It worked though.First time doing this for me with my chainsaw , I was pretty happy with what I got out of what would have otherwise just been firewood . You need to know what you intend to make out of the wood , that's got to be an important first decision . I want to do a pair of Chairs , so placed a chair of similar size nearby and just messured of it in handspans and cut the parts longer than needed . I'm not building that type of chair , completely different , but the size is close . Cutting close to what you want means you may be able to build in two or three years if your wood is two or three inches thick . It's a year per inch for air drying as a rough guide .

Rob

Yes that makes sense! I am thinking that due to this being Silky Oak I don't want it to be the main timber for most builds. More of a bit here and a bit there. I want to make use of the quarter sawn parts of the logs as much as possible. I think 30-35mm at most to then dress down to 25mm'ish once dry. Also depends on what is revealed once I start cutting it. There are a few knots in some pieces which could be quite nice. The other Silky that I will get this weekend has more limbs on it (smaller tree) will be interesting once cut too. Thanks for the tip! [emoji1]

lightwood
8th November 2016, 12:56 PM
All the Silky Oak I've had milled had sapwood that must be the favourite food of lyctus borer.
Don't depend on that being still there in your working out dimensions.

Some treat for it ... I tried that, but after a few years they got into it anyhow.

Cheers,
Peter

Alastair
8th November 2016, 01:07 PM
+1 on the lyctis. Fortunately seem to stick to the sapwood.

Also, I have done a kitchen out of northern silky, with no allergy issues. SOUTHERN silky, (grevillea) is another kettle of fish though. Not sure which one you have there.

Cal
8th November 2016, 04:29 PM
All the Silky Oak I've had milled had sapwood that must be the favourite food of lyctus borer.
Don't depend on that being still there in your working out dimensions.

Some treat for it ... I tried that, but after a few years they got into it anyhow.

Cheers,
Peter

Good to know, thank you! I don't have a particular use for the wood in mind so I will lop off the sapwood when milling it. Last thing I need is bugs in my timber! [emoji1]

Cal
8th November 2016, 04:32 PM
+1 on the lyctis. Fortunately seem to stick to the sapwood.

Also, I have done a kitchen out of northern silky, with no allergy issues. SOUTHERN silky, (grevillea) is another kettle of fish though. Not sure which one you have there.

Cheers! Unfortunately this is the southern one. Still have wounds on my for arms from moving it around. Will have to take extra care with the next one and all of it when milling.

Cal
22nd November 2016, 08:34 PM
New mill just arrived! Chainsaw tomorrow [emoji1]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161122/d4011d9ff80e066de6bc8d976cf18aa0.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161122/5071ab7eef74abf7b6e9c82360b88f5e.jpg

Cal
23rd November 2016, 06:30 PM
Chainsaw is here, now the fun begins!
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161123/9f9f3293b374218cf88f0b4830de6811.jpg

Christos
23rd November 2016, 08:37 PM
That's one step closer to the slippy slop of milling. :U

I am not quite there yet.

Cal
23rd November 2016, 09:28 PM
Yep, not sure wether to be excited or scared of it! Have twice as much timber now and need to try and get it cut before Xmas (the whole family is coming here) [emoji15]

Christos
26th November 2016, 11:30 PM
You can take two slices off(one from opposite sides) and the family has a place to sit. :U

Cal
27th November 2016, 08:14 AM
That's what I said to the other half, plenty of room to sit. I started milling yesterday, made up a rail and did one log. Come up better than expected. Will do some more today and take some pics.