PDA

View Full Version : Which spindle thread?

QuarkVI
8th November 2016, 05:30 PM
Well good news and a question ...

Have just managed to sell my current lathe (Nova TL1500) and once it is picked up I will be placing the order for a vicmarc VL150 (unless I can win the lotto and then it will be a VL240).
So far I have been planning to go with an M30 x 3.5 spindle thread and getting dedicated vicmarc chucks to match.

Starting with a clean slate i.e. don't have any existing attachments that I need to match the thread to.

Is there any reason I should consider M33 or 11/4x 8?

cheers
Robin

P.S. once the lathe is in my hands I will be posting pics and some notes on how I finally got through analysis paralysis to make a decision :U

Uncle Al
8th November 2016, 07:18 PM
M30 x 3.5 is almost an industry standard, you will have no trouble in buying / finding accessories with this size thread.
Personally, I wouldn't consider any other thread size given your opportunity to purchase a new Vicmarc.

Have fun with the new lathe,

Alan...

rtyuiop
8th November 2016, 07:59 PM
I believe M33 and the whacky imperial stuff are the most common threads for spindles in europe and the US, respectively. Better to go with the norm here if you have a choice, which is M30.

Jim Carroll
8th November 2016, 09:55 PM
Robin as others have not noted you are across the ditch where the 1-1/4 x 8 is almost a standard thread these days.

The earlier nova lathes were M30 x 3.5mm so spare for both threads may be readily available from your woodturning supplies.

Do a bit of research locally and see who stocks the spares you may need, Terry Scott @ Timberly would be a good one to chat to.

Paul39
9th November 2016, 04:14 AM
Well good news and a question ...

So far I have been planning to go with an M30 x 3.5 spindle thread and getting dedicated vicmarc chucks to match.

Starting with a clean slate i.e. don't have any existing attachments that I need to match the thread to.
cheers
Robin :U

You might want to give some thought that you might find a screaming good deal on a VL240 in a year or two, or want another lathe with a different spindle thread.

A chuck with changeable inserts would be handy. I have found my Oneway chucks run true with inserts and would expect Vicmarc to do as well or better.

I agree that buying a lathe with the most common local spindle thread gives the opportunity for easier to find, cheaper attachments.

Mobyturns
9th November 2016, 11:31 AM
I agree that buying a lathe with the most common local spindle thread gives the opportunity for easier to find, cheaper attachments.

Also makes for easier resale.