PDA

View Full Version : You aint from around here!, is ya?

artful bodger
9th November 2016, 06:29 PM
A couple of the galleries I sell stuff to here in Hobart have been very eager to get some bowls for stock.
Unfortunately it is becoming harder to get nice sized bits of timber to make them from. The Timber is there still, out in the bush, but politics has really made it impossible to get some of the big 4 varieties that Tassie is known for. Won't go into that now.
A bloke in the neighbourhood is moving away and had some timber for sale. Amongst it was some Australian Cedar of suitable size to turn very reasonable bowls.
I rang the 2 galleries who wanted bowls and asked them if they might be interested in some cedar ones. The answer was, "what is Australian cedar?". When I told them they seemed non plussed and made no commitment to purchase any possible cedar stuff.
A lot of the really old buildings in Tassie do in fact have Australian cedar in them in the form of 12inch decorative skirting boards etc. Which would have been imported from Sydney back in the day before the settlers in Tassie had ventured into the frightening wilderness enough to discover what this state has got to offer timberwise.
So even though it can be problematic making things for galleries from non local timber, I just could not let these few lumps of cedar slip away.
Thicknesses vary from 50mm to 100mm. Originally came from the Tweed Valley.
Be interested to know what the current rate per super foot is up there on the north island for cedar?

Paul39
11th November 2016, 11:12 AM
Artful,

I'd make one or two and take it to the gallery. If it is your usual good stuff I expect they will buy.

Nice looking timber.

Had a quick look for AU Cedar, kinda spendy:

cedar slabs | Gumtree Australia Free Local Classifieds (http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-cedar+slabs/k0)

CAG
12th November 2016, 07:14 PM
$12 per superfoot, DAR though. Of course, I don't tend to pay retail and have gotten it much cheaper on the three occasions I have bought it (in bulk.)

artful bodger
12th November 2016, 07:42 PM
Thanks CAG, I guess $12 per super is pretty good value these days for a tree that is no longer commercially available. However you do see some stuff like kalantis that is sold as Aus cedar sometimes. Gotta agree about not paying retail if possible.