PDA

View Full Version : Another project, Another question - spiral carving

Gabriel
9th November 2016, 07:25 PM
Is it just me -
or does everyone else suffer from this. Every time I have a thought on a new project, new tools are a requirement, thus it's never a 5 minute job and research needs to be done.......(although I do love new tools)

I am in the planning and prototype stages of turning some corbals for my folks mantlepiece in their kitchen. THE finished product will be huon so I'm fairly sure it will be a great timber to attempt my first real freehand carving.

I have been on YouTube and found a few methods and final products I like the look of. I'm marking out as per mark spagnolo (the wood whisperer) and carving as per this video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DCTYLSL8IkI

As a quick prototype, I carved out some pine post I had floating around. All went well until I realised I don't have any gouges so couldn't get a pleasing curve with my bench chisels.
(Phone shot, nothing spectacular)

My question is this - I'm a bit daunted by the number of carving chisels/gouges available so could someone recommend me a couple that will get me started that will accommodate largish spirals (maybe 20mm - 30mm wide) and go for quality chisels like pfeil.

Or am I better off buying a starter kit (like the record one from hare and forbes) that will have a few profiles I'm unlikely to use, but will have a selection of things that will tackle most situations.

I'm unlikely to delve into major carving so whilst happy to purchase a couple of high quality chisels, a full set at $500+ isn't on the cards just yet.

All input appreciated, and once the project is in full swing I'll post my progress

Thanks!!
Gab

hughie
9th November 2016, 08:54 PM
If your not going go at carving in a big way then try buying a set of carving chisels on Ebay, you can get a reasonable set very little whiel you work out how far you want to go with it
carving chisels | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055119.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xcarving+chisels.TRS0&_nkw=carving+chisels&_sacat=0)

QC Inspector
11th November 2016, 03:46 PM
If you are making flutes then a round Surform, round rasps, and sandpaper wrapped around a dowel are effective unless the ends of the flute end in a shoulder. The rope style can be done with chisels and sandpaper wrapped around something like a butter knife or triangular file. If you're going to do lots then the various carving chisels speed things a lot but don't miss the opportunity to use what you have.

Pete

joe greiner
11th November 2016, 05:31 PM
This demo by Ernie Conover came up along with the OP's link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBGaFR5ZxuE

It seems more straightforward his way.

Cheers,
Joe

Gabriel
12th November 2016, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys,

After a couple of nights umming and aaaaring I have a couple of vintage gouges headed my way from ebay. Who knows, I may just love making chips as much as I do making shavings and I'll end up being mediocre at both!!

hughie
13th November 2016, 08:29 AM
http://richardmorrisart.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Turning-Spirals-On-The-Lathe.pdf

Gabriel
13th November 2016, 08:41 AM
Thanks hughie!! Great looking info. Better find myself a die grinder as well (as I said - couldn't dream of starting a new project without getting some new tools!!!)

Sturdee
13th November 2016, 10:59 AM
(as I said - couldn't dream of starting a new project without getting some new tools!!!

But you have no room in your shop for more tools.:U

Peter.

Gabriel
13th November 2016, 11:27 AM
But you have no room in your shop for more tools.:U

Peter.

This is true, but they're small.... and I could always get a bigger shed!!!!

Oldgreybeard
14th November 2016, 10:37 AM
Gabriel, If you want to borrow some carving chisels and a pneumatic die grinder for a couple of weeks to try it out, we can arrange something. Send me a PM
Bob

Gabriel
14th November 2016, 12:07 PM
Thanks Bob, very generous offer!

I'll see how I go with the ebay attempt. Once I realise I went in the wrong direction I'll start knocking on your door.....

Gabriel
26th November 2016, 07:28 PM
OK, quick update. Work has been crazy busy (Christmas coming, spring, people wanting bits done before the overseas relatives show up)

The eBay chisels, after a quick sharpen on the tormek, worked quite well - if I was going to create a very small spiral. Mine is quite a thick spiral, so I bit the bullet and grabbed some new gouges. I grabbed 2. A no. 8 with a cranked neck and a no.7.... The cranked neck was just an afterthought, but it seemed to work well.

So after some carving I have discovered a couple of things. It is quite addictive (much like turning) and I need to make a mallet. My hand got a little tired after continual pushing.

I'm happy with the results of my prototype, and now I have the gouges, I won't need to try using my bench chisels (the reason for most of the large divets) to create a smooth bead.

I dug out a piece of gidgee and dead finish and have started on a mallet. I'll work on a second prototype with more detail above and below the barley sugar twist (is that the correct term??)

Simplicity
26th November 2016, 08:02 PM
Ok ,very possible stupid questions coming.
Do you carve them stationary while mounted between centres.?
If so ,would carving between centres be damaging to a lathe, ie the head and tail stock bearings being subjected to mallet blows indirectly?.
Something bearings are not designed to handle,am I over thinking this?
Or is the spiral carved with the lathe in motion(this to my simple mind seems sort of ok sort of maybe not ok ??)

I could possibly use google help button,but that would be no fun.
So come on Gab ,give us inquiry minds, some more info please?
O and the ones you have completed look good so far.

Cheers Matt

You could bring on Monday night you know[emoji6]

Gabriel
26th November 2016, 09:28 PM
I carved these whilst still mounted in the lathe, but did not use a mallet as I was thinking the exact thing about the bearings. I did purchase a z vice years ago and seem to remember you can mount something between centres on that, or maybe I could just cut a round out of a block and use it to steady whilst I mallet (though with the huon I'm planning to use in my final project I doubt i would need that much force)

I do have a router lathe which could do it as a machine made spiral, but the diameter was too large to fit so instead I get to learn a new skill (and buy more stuff)

Doubt i can make Monday, Simone is playing basketball so I'm on Josh duty.... Maybe if we have a Christmas gtg I could sneak away to say hi

QC Inspector
27th November 2016, 02:59 AM
You won't hurt your bearings using a mallet to carve between centres.

Have you considered carving the twist section separately from the rest of the columns? If you carve a 2' or 3' long twist and then cut it to lengths and glued them to the upper and lower parts it would give a clean joint between the twist and the beads. Easier than carving the transitions unless that is what you're after.

I think your barley twists are starting to approach rope twists but I'm far from an expert and there seems to be a lot of overlap in the terminology.

It won't be long and you'll be adding twists to everything. :wink: :2tsup:

Pete

Gabriel
27th November 2016, 09:10 AM
Thanks Pete. I hadn't really thought of doing them in sections, but you're right.... The transition was bloody ugly and this could solve the problem. Then if I stuff something up at the last minute (generally my style) it won't be a total loss.... I like it!!

And I think you're on the money - Google has shown me I'm attempting a rope twist. The barley twist seems to have a rounded cove between the beads where I'm going for a clean cut.

I hate getting terminology incorrect as it shows my lack of knowledge (means I can't bulls+-& my way through as convincingly)

Cheers
Gab

QC Inspector
27th November 2016, 11:39 AM
Glad the idea might help. Lots of old furniture that had flutes, spirals, etc., were done in sections.

Pete