PDA

View Full Version : Sad News

elanjacobs
10th November 2016, 09:53 PM
Hope it's ok to post here instead of the hatch/match/dispatch section - it's not a personal one, but relevant to the whole industry.

I've been informed that the two people who tragically lost their lives in a car accident yesterday ( Two killed after car swerves for kangaroo, hits tree in central Victoria (http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/two-killed-after-car-swerves-for-kangaroo-hits-tree-in-central-victoria-20161109-gslv6o.html) ) were Don and Sue of Timber Benders ( The Timber Benders - Timbers steam bent to order (http://timberbenders.com.au/) )

A great loss, not just for their family, but for the whole industry.

Treecycle
11th November 2016, 09:19 AM
What a shame. Just saw an article on TV recently on Better Homes & Gardens I think it was detailing how they had saved the equipment and were putting it to good use being the only solid steam bender left.
Hopefully someone else will have the same passion and continue their dream. It would be tragic to lose both these wonderful people and their works.

elanjacobs
11th November 2016, 10:02 AM
Yes it would. They were the last in Australia who could bend large sections

62woollybugger
11th November 2016, 12:09 PM
Such sad news. When I saw the story on BH&G I thought how lucky he was to be able to work in an old craft like that & made me wish I could do something like that, instead of spending most of my time sitting at a desk. As Treecycle said, hope there is someone to take over & keep the craft alive.

crowie
11th November 2016, 04:37 PM
For those who missed the TV

Home - The Timber Benders (http://timberbenders.com.au/what-we-do/)

https://au.tv.yahoo.com/plus7/better-homes-and-gardens/-/watch/32971017/better-homes-and-gardens-fri-21-oct-season-22-episode-36/

spokeshave
11th November 2016, 04:49 PM
Very sad.

I remember the story on BHG, he came across as being very passionate about his work. I dont watch BHG much, but actually found this story very interesting. A sad loss indeed.

Steven.

old1955
11th November 2016, 06:10 PM
Very sad news.

Jim Carroll
11th November 2016, 08:05 PM
Just what can you say a very sad loss for everyone concerned

doug3030
11th November 2016, 10:48 PM
Its a tragedy for their family foremost and also as an industry loss.

Condolences to the family first and foremost

And hopefully someone from the family or someone else with the appropriate skills and experience can keep the skills alive.

It's hard to say anything more

Cheers

Doug

EnR
12th November 2016, 08:22 PM
A great loss indeed. They seemed an extraordinary couple whose love of life and passion for what they were doing will be missed by all.

Robson Valley
13th November 2016, 08:19 AM
My most sincere condolences to their family.
Thank you for the link to their business. Outstanding body of work.
Industry? I cannot name a steam bending business in all of North America.
Rare creatures they were.

wheelinround
13th November 2016, 09:33 AM
I also watch BHG segment such a great loss.

Treecycle
18th November 2016, 07:35 PM
Great to see the tribute to them on BH&G tonight.

Gestalt
19th November 2016, 08:35 AM
Hi Guys, I just heard last night on better homes and gardens that Don and Sue were killed in a car accident. These were the people featured last week I think it was doing all that great steam bending. I didn't know them but it really brought a tear to my eye when I heard that news.
Here is a link to the tribute.
https://au.tv.yahoo.com/shows/better-homes-and-gardens/video/watch/33257911/adam-pays-tribute-to-don-and-sue/
Really sad. I hope there is someone to continue his legacy.
Edit: Sorry, didn't realise there was already a thread on this. I'm a little late in finding out. The moderator just moved it here.

seriph1
19th November 2016, 11:59 AM
That's ok mate. Good of you to post. They were lovely ppl.

I imagine we each would be happy to serve as well as they did though their work and their generous spirit.

Glencross
21st November 2016, 05:54 PM
Hi Elan and folks,

I just came across this post and am very saddened to hear of the loss of Don and Sue.

A couple of years ago my workshop buddy and I took a day-trip out to visit them at their workshop.

Don and Sue were very generous with their time and willingness to explain how they had created the massive workshop on their property, and to show us through their steaming and bending processes.

We had arranged the tour to investigate the potential to employ their skills in our furniture making businesses.

Don spent a solid couple of hours with us, while Sue was in and out of the workshop taking care of this and that.

They had invested a great deal in trying to sustain the traditional process of steam bending both as a business operation, and a means to educate the greater community in traditional craft, appreciation of natural materials, and the rewards of old-fashioned hard work.

The huge workshop was a fascinating jumble of old cast iron machinery, sawdust, and experimental designs.

Don had pallets of all sorts of mixed veneers stashed in a corner that he scored from an old cabinet makers workshop that closed down years ago. We were chatting about furniture restoration and timber species for quite some time, and before we left for home he bundled me up with an armful of mixed species as a gesture for the time we had spent together. Their kindness didn't go forgotten, and I sent them a couple of serving paddles to say thanks. That veneer bundle sits on a shelf in my workshop and every so often I find a project to include a certain piece where it suits.

I'd like to remember them in a way, like the many unique and passionate characters you meet along the road of this woodworking trade: that a part of each person that has inspired you ends up in every piece of furniture or design item that is created in my workshop.

That's the kind of detail you don't see. The kind of detail that has to be told in a story about a piece, so that the new owner can pass it on as more than just a physical object.

I hope that makes sense.

My condolences to any family and friends.

They will not be forgotten.

Cheers, Julian

seriph1
21st November 2016, 08:49 PM
You eloquently and compassionately described them to a tee, sir. Thank you.