PDA

View Full Version : Feature partition

rossj
10th November 2016, 11:29 PM
Hi Everyone
Hoping someone might have constructed a timber slat partition using metal tubing as supports, like in photo attached. A zoom in does not show how each slat is held in place on the tubes. I am wondering if the tube is one piece or maybe a series of spacers with another smaller diameter tube running up the centre for alignment. It doesn't look like it is but I could be wrong. Any advice would be much appreciated

themage21
11th November 2016, 09:57 AM
Even if it's not how they did it, your suggestion seems to have it's own merit.

You may need to include some way to tension the whole lot together - possibly thread the end of the centre pipe/rod to allow a tensioning nut at either end? If you don't, it'll probably be a bit floppy.

Lydenhughes
11th November 2016, 12:59 PM
Hi man, ive never built one myself but helped a friend put a smaller version of what you have there together, had a threaded rod as middle insert with nuts on top and bottom to make it nice and tight and aluminium tube as spacers that sat inside a shallow cut forstinier hole.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161111/77b3b033f0b3267cbf0f892a9bc3c37f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

joe greiner
11th November 2016, 04:47 PM
Very many years ago, I made several free-standing shelving units similar to the item described by Lydenhughes. Recessed T-nut on the top shelf, with all-thread through metal conduit between the shelves (two or three), terminating with a nut below the bottom shelf. Then a small foot to elevate the bottom shelf and hide the nut. They've survived some cross-country and local moves without drama, even though my original intent was disassembly for transport.

Very long all-thread may be hard to find, but coupler nuts can join shorter lengths. They could be carefully placed between the slats. Use a jig to cut the tubing to precise short lengths.

Use a master template to drill the slats, and/or match drill; if you match drill, number the slats and preserve their order for best results. Finish the slats before assembly.

Cheers,
Joe

rossj
12th November 2016, 12:54 AM
Thankyou all, for your suggestions. Yes a system of tension would be a good idea. Also a router recess in slats for the spacers to sit is what I also had in mind. I might try using 19mm stainless tube for the spacers. Perhaps lazer cut by the local metaland would work, providing it doesn't tarnish the stainless. Aluminium if stainless does not work out, but I like the look of stainless . A mild steel rod up the centre with thread on each end sounds good.

ian
12th November 2016, 04:53 PM
You could use a forstner bit instead of a router to cut the recess for the spacers.

rossj
12th November 2016, 10:51 PM
Thanks Ian
I had to google forstner to find out what it is. Makes a nice clean hole and the centering point will set me up for drilling the hole for the centre rod too. Thanks