PDA

View Full Version : coffee or beer

turnerted
11th November 2016, 04:12 PM
G'day
I wanted to make some travel mugs and decided to have a go at stave construction .I generally followed a method described by Tim Harrison provided to me by my insert supplier , P Square Agency but there are several videos showing the method online .
Having mastered this , I decided to have a go at making stuby holders . Actually stubys no longer exist but beer cans and some beer bottles are mostly a standard size .I started off using the same blank size as the travel mugs but shorter .ie using 19mm stock .I went to a flooring supplier to get some closed cell foam underlay to line the can holders with and saw they were throwing loads of bamboo flooring offcuts in the bin so I grabbed some . This is only 14 mm but it works OK . I discovered that bamboo is very hard on the tools so I ended up making a carbide tool which is better but still hard work .
Obviously the travel mugs need to be capable of being washed up, so I needed a finish which would withstand this . I tried using clear epoxy coating but could never get a perfect
finish .Eventually I settled on a prime coat of Wipe on Poly , sign the bottom, then two generous coats of polyurathane varnish .
Soon after I started on these I was given some camphor laurel logs . These had been cut too short for bowls but I was able to quarter each log and get four travel mug blanks out of each one which I bored out and roughed to size and left to dry.
The pictures show one mug made from decking and one from floorboards . The inserts are red cedar in one and masonite in the other.The stave drink holders are both made from bamboo and of course there is a camphor laurel one of each .
Comments and questions welcome.
Jim does this qualify me for the segmenter's club ?
Ted

powderpost
11th November 2016, 09:25 PM
Jim does this qualify me for the segmenter's club ?

Short answer Ted...... yep. :U

Nice job too Ted.

Jim

Sawdust Maker
11th November 2016, 10:16 PM
cool