PDA

View Full Version : Triton Circular Saw

STEPHEN MILLER
13th December 2000, 09:17 AM
Has anyone out in woodies world bought and hopefully putting to good use the Triton saw .Just would like to know if it is good as claimed in triton 2000 workbench and whats it like to use free hand.As my Makita will give up the ghost in near future so ideas now would be a great help to try and get that ilusive christmas bargain buy on good tools
regards steve

------------------

gazaly
13th December 2000, 02:44 PM
G'day Funky,

Have had the Triton saw for about 6 months now, and can not fault it! I had a 7 1/4" before that and the difference is huge. If anything the accuacy that can be gained is enough to make it a worthwhile purchase.

As for handheld use, I haven't used it out of the table, I use my old 7 1/4".

Hope this helps,

Gazza.

------------------
Bring on the Triton Router!

bob pringle
16th December 2000, 06:14 AM
the triton saw for hand held use is AWESOME!A hefty piece of machinery but powerful enough to cut through virtually anything...heaps of guts means no jamming

Originally posted by gazaly:
G'day Funky,

Have had the Triton saw for about 6 months now, and can not fault it! I had a 7 1/4" before that and the difference is huge. If anything the accuacy that can be gained is enough to make it a worthwhile purchase.

As for handheld use, I haven't used it out of the table, I use my old 7 1/4".

Hope this helps,

Gazza.

------------------

Angelo
18th December 2000, 03:52 PM
Hi Steve,

I bought the saw about a two months ago as an upgrade from an old Bosche 7 1/4" and can only praise it. I have the standard 40 tooth blade it came with and have been very impressed by both the quality of the rip and accuracy of the cut. It sits very sturdy in the workcentre and has a very impressive build quality. I have the new pressed steel base for it mounted in my 2000 centre and took some time to calibrate it which, considering the quality of the cuts is both necessary and well worth it. It is one beast of a machine to handhold and I prefer to use the old Bosche for this if it suits the purpose. When the budget allows I would like to try the 60 tooth blade though this can wait.
I paid $298 delivered for mine from Hardwareshop.com.au which still seems reasonably competitive. Hope this helps and good luck with whatever you decide to buy.

Sandy Johnston
20th December 2000, 01:20 PM
I too have the Triton Saw and have used it "freehand" & table mounted.
It is heavy but I feel this gives more positive control as it is less of a bugger than my old Skill 7.25 which used to shake its head on denser material.
The acuracay with the saw's fence and angles are spot on.

Mounting in the Triton table is craft that has to be mastered but does pay divedends - I have mine to +0.02mm this is quite well within my needs.

The Triton Tables height winder kit needs a bit of thought - the whole shebang is held inplace with a plastic thingamy and the saw's mounting frame moves within the table 5-10mm when cutting. I am thinking of locking it in a sleve so there is no fore and aft movement.
Any thoughts chappies?

Sandy across the ditch

Angelo
21st December 2000, 11:50 AM
Hi Sandy,

I just installed my BHW yesterday and noticed the same problem. I tried packing out the new red clip with some gaff tape though this did not work very well. It seems to be an oversight in design as a replacement clip really needs to snap into place to be effective.
Anybody have the BHW and come up with a fix? I would sure appreciate it.

Cheers and a Merry Christmas to all.
Angelo

STEPHEN MILLER
31st December 2000, 10:35 AM
I have the new pressed steel base and hieght adjuster with 9 1/4 makita saw in it the plastic clip that stops the base moving has a habit of turning over so I found when you put the table back on if you change things etc you have to make sure clip is the right way up or it will move a bit when in correctly it doesnt appear to move. hope this helps
Steve

Ted Broadhurst
3rd January 2001, 09:41 AM
I've just bought a Triton saw together with a 2000 Workcentre and planer attachment. I was looking for accuracy and was going to buy a cast iron saw table but decided on Triton after reading comments posted on this forum.
I have not been disappointed.
I found the Triton saw easy to adjust and accurate to a fraction of a mm when set up correctly.
The saw power is ample (2.4kW is about 3HP) and the 40T TCT blade eats green 4x2 easily.
One slight quibble, be careful not to wind the height adjusting lever off its holding bolt when adjusting the spline for lock tension. Its a real fiddle to get back on!
Apart from that 10 out of 10.

Angelo
5th January 2001, 11:19 PM
I sent Triton an e-mail asking about the problem with the catch and today received a reply from them. They claim that the whilst the movement should not present a problem and that should I have a problem with the new catch to let them know and they would send me a new one. They also mentioned that they had received a number of inquiries about this problem and that a new catch is being designed and will be available by April.
I have since added more packing to the inside of the u shaped catch and this seems to have reduced the movement to around a centimetre.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
ang

barrysumpter
4th March 2001, 08:26 PM
The sliding plate stabalizer was mentioned and questioned in the following review of the height winder.
http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000020.html

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer