PDA

View Full Version : Intergrain Ultraseal questions

SPF
14th November 2016, 11:54 AM
Hi Everyone,
I'm just about to take delivery of some new timber doors and now have to choose a clear coat/sealer to finish them.

After doing a fair bit of research, I have worked out that every available sealer and clear coat has problems with wear, UV, or something else.

I am have used Intergrain Ultraclear (satin and gloss) for various projects and am looking at some of the other Intergrain products for the doors. My most pressing need however is to get a sealer so the doors can be coated to minimise warping and assist with applying the top coat.

Has anyone used the Ultraseal product and have you had any problems with it?

Thanks in advance.

BTW if you have another brand/product that is water based and have had good results with, please let me know.

SPF
17th November 2016, 11:52 PM
I ended up purchasing the Ultraseal and trying it on a new PNG Rosewood window today.

Pros:
1. Application is easy.
2. Wash up with water is easy.
3. Paint drawn into timber (mostly) so drips are minimised.
4. Methylated spirits wipes up freshly dried film without much work.

Cons:
1. Product raises grain.
2. Make sure you keep a wet edge and use uniform strokes - if you end up with overlap on partially dry area the sheen and build of the product is not consistent.
3. Where timber is oily or has a close grain the product tends to not soak in and will drip off. Keep some prep wash handy.