woohoo
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Toasty
1st September 2005, 02:32 PM
Must find bargain 16" lathe... :rolleyes:

Greg Ward
1st September 2005, 03:35 PM
The wood is there now. GO.
Mal is waiting, don't wait until tomorrow, beat the crowd. Look for the Boutique Timbers sign..... if he puts it up.
Some great camphor and red cedar this year.
Regards
Greg

Zed
1st September 2005, 03:45 PM
someone please - is the canberra show liek the sydney show or more like the newcastle show ? (Ie big and small) lets say Syd is a 10 and Newcastle is a 1 - where does canberra sit ? (Besides the home of lots of hot air!)

Toasty
1st September 2005, 11:15 PM
I haven't been to any of the other shows to compare, but it certainly looks large enough when I have been to previous Canberra shows and I have never thought, "Gee, there is barely anything here." :D

Bulli
1st September 2005, 11:34 PM
where does canberra sit ?

They say Canberra's the best lit cemetary between Sydney and Melbourne;).

Looking forward to the show!

Bulli

Zed
2nd September 2005, 09:09 AM
They say Canberra's the best lit cemetary between Sydney and Melbourne;).

Looking forward to the show!

Bulli

Thanks Al (Bundy).!! :rolleyes:

Moo73
2nd September 2005, 09:45 AM
someone please - is the canberra show liek the sydney show or more like the newcastle show ? (Ie big and small) lets say Syd is a 10 and Newcastle is a 1 - where does canberra sit ? (Besides the home of lots of hot air!)

I went to both shows in 2003 and I don't remember anything not being at the Canberra show that was at the Sydney show

Gumby
2nd September 2005, 10:10 AM
I went to both shows in 2003 and I don't remember anything not being at the Canberra show that was at the Sydney show

But if something that wasn't not at the Sydney show, but was not at the Canberra show, wouldn't it follow that it couldn't not have been at the Canberra show because it wasn't actually not there. Unless of course they left it at the Sydney show in the first place. :confused:

DavidG
2nd September 2005, 05:01 PM
Went today (fri) only saw 2 foilies.

Spent up on camphor blanks($200) then went into over spend on a set of Vicmark jaws.

Got out with only a slightly bent card.
Have to wait till next year for the vacuum chuck.

Will be back Sun afternoon at 4pm to help move some stuff back to the Guild.

burn
2nd September 2005, 11:41 PM
I went to Sydney's this year and Canberra's today (and tomorrow and the day after ... my weekend of bliss!). My guess would be that the Canberra show is about 25 - 30% of the floor space of Sydney.

I saw Numbat, DavidG and Baz (no excuses about too many caps for next year Baz ... you'll just have to shell out for another cap! ... if I had to wear long pants, you can get another cap!!!). I also saw Wingingpom on one of the stands as well.

I picked up a T'con mobile base for the TSC-10HB which should arrive on my doorstep on monday!!!! ... so the WWW show is like four days of excitment for me!

Burn

aabb
2nd September 2005, 11:56 PM
Plannng to head out there tomrrow (Sat) for a while

Toasty
3rd September 2005, 10:03 AM
My guess would be that the Canberra show is about 25 - 30% of the floor space of Sydney.
Wow! I'll have to get to Sydney next year for a looksee!!

shagga
3rd September 2005, 11:20 AM
I went to the Canberra show yesterday from Sydney and haven't been to the Sydney or any other wood show before. I have a dent in the card and picked up some bargins in both matchines and timber. I spent from 10 am till after 2 pm and was very impressed. Several people told me Sydney is so packed it is not a comfortable experience.

I'm happy and have new toys to play with and new skills to acquire.

Shagga

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon7.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon7.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon7.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

Toasty
3rd September 2005, 06:40 PM
I have a dent in the cardI smashed my card, smashed it real good. Hell I gave it such a hiding it's still cowering in the corner crying, "Please don't hit me again, Massah! PLEASE! I's be a good little card fro now on, Massah! Just don't hit me again!!!"

Oh yeah, I pick up my DVR3000 (plus chuck and legs) tomorrow!

outback
3rd September 2005, 06:56 PM
Did anyone have any Dc's there? If so how much, any specials etc etc. etc.

Just doin' me homework. :D

Toasty
3rd September 2005, 07:02 PM
I remember the 1hp Jet DC-650 with the jet pleated top filter (2 micron they say) for $520.00

I vaguly remember the Timbecon 2hp version around the $450 mark

Unfortunatly when I smashed the budget on the DVR I stopped looking at DCs, that will just have to wait a little longer :rolleyes:

shagga
3rd September 2005, 09:38 PM
Most items were 10% at least off the catelogue/regular price and many more had a lot more than 10% plus through in extras.There were Jet and other dust extractors but I really wasn't looking for them, I had other toys on my mind.
Like all things, I would suggest know what your after and the regular prices and go from there. You then know what a good deal is or isn't. I also bargined on the band saw (Sherwood 10 inch) I purchased and they took another $50.00 off the already 25% without any arguments.
Timv\ber was very cheap and great quality. I picked up three nice pieces of various ceders myself.

Shagga

burn
3rd September 2005, 11:37 PM
Did anyone have any Dc's there? If so how much, any specials etc etc. etc.

Just doin' me homework. :D

I'll try to remember when I go back there tomorrow and post tomorrow night.

burn
4th September 2005, 02:29 PM
I'll try to remember when I go back there tomorrow and post tomorrow night.

Outback, C'tec had their CT2042 for $399 and the FM300 for $249. Sorry, but that's all I had time to see as I was working on the WoodCraft Guild's stands. And now it's off to the son's Basketball ... never ends.

Burn

numbat
4th September 2005, 08:11 PM
Well another show over - this year it was smaller than previous years. I caught up with a few people on the board. Boban kindly bought down the Jet thicknesser that I bought off him on the Friday night - managed to guide him and family to my place and get him pointed in the direction he wanted to go. I missed him on the Saturday at the show as I was working on the guild stand.

Some bargains to be had - depends on what you were looking for. I heard the comment today that Friday was cheaper which is strange as Sunday seems to be the day for specials. I picked up a Gifkins jig, a morticer (thanks for the review Dean http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/sherwoodTBM-160.htm ), a beltdisc sander and a mobile base plus some odds and ends from Timbecon. Got some nice timber from Trend for a plane handle plus sopme other bits and pieces.

Kept going back to Jim Carroll to get sandpaper as I was flattening some plane soles.

Bit tiring as usual and need to give the card a break for a while.

Cheers

boban
4th September 2005, 09:32 PM
I must take this opportunity of thanking Numbat for his help in guiding me out of Canberra and lending me his directory. I had the whole family with me on Saturday so my time was limited. I got what I wanted quickly and it was off to Questacon and Parliament House for the rest of the day.

My only real dissapointment was that Timbecon did not have any LV Low Angle planes in stock. Although their price of $277.90 for both the smoother and jack planes were quite reasonable. Something for another show I guess.

Numbat you were not alone. I can tell you I was tired when I got home.

Moo73
5th September 2005, 03:25 PM
Got down there at lunchtime on Friday, managed to pick up a dc (ct-2042), HNT Gordon block plane, some purple heart and African Wenge.
Now in the process of convincing the other 'alf that total was around $100!!
:o

burn
5th September 2005, 08:04 PM
Well, my total haul was

1 x Jet 18" Bandsaw
2 x 10" blades for the 10HB
1 x Honing block for the jointer
3 x lapstones for minor sharpening
1 x large machine dolly for the 10HB
1 x set of countersunk bits
1 x there must have been something else, but I forgot!