PDA

View Full Version : Threaded lid boxes

powderpost
14th November 2016, 05:58 PM
Just been playing around on the lathe with some conkerberry. Lovely stuff to turn and takes a very nice hand chased thread. The boxes are turned across the grain, rather than along the grain, which is the normal practice. Did this to maximize the grain patterns. There was some movement after the centre was taken out, but not enough to cause a real problem. I lapped the thread in with a bit of EEE and there has been very little movement since. The acorn is turned along the grain as usual.

Jim

smiife
14th November 2016, 07:40 PM
Hi jim,
Beautiful timber, nice grain patterns
and threaded too! ..............well done:2tsup:

Kidbee
14th November 2016, 09:33 PM
Jim, what diameter were those pieces? I have a few sticks of cronkerberry but they are only about 50mm diameter.

Gary

powderpost
14th November 2016, 09:57 PM
Jim, what diameter were those pieces? I have a few sticks of cronkerberry but they are only about 50mm diameter.

Gary

Hi Gary,
The box in the centre is 55mm diameter and 45 high. The smaller box on the right is 40mm x 40mm. Note that these are turned across the grain, ie, the grain is at right angles to the bed.

Jim

dai sensei
14th November 2016, 10:27 PM
Beautiful as usual mate :2tsup:

I'll have to pull out my old stock of Conkerberry and see what I still have.

turnerted
15th November 2016, 03:50 PM
Some nice boxes Jim .I have yet to try threading a cross grain box .
Ted

hughie
16th November 2016, 07:59 PM
Wow Jim they are really something and what a great finish, very impressive.

Allan at Wallan
16th November 2016, 08:12 PM
Absolutely beautiful - well done

Allan

Mobyturns
17th November 2016, 08:07 AM
Jim, Wonderful, masterly turning.

For those who haven't seen Jim turn or hand chase threads, it really is a treat to watch him quickly, and easily create the male and female threads. Not hard to find Jim at the Prossy Turnout - just look for the constant crowd.

dai sensei
17th November 2016, 09:48 PM
Jim, Wonderful, masterly turning.

For those who haven't seen Jim turn or hand chase threads, it really is a treat to watch him quickly, and easily create the male and female threads. .

Yeh, makes me sick how easily he does it :q, while I sit there trying and trying and trying .... and still getting cross threaded crap :-. As much as I hate seeing his head swell :rolleyes:, he is really the master at it :cool:.

powderpost
17th November 2016, 10:20 PM
Yeh, makes me sick how easily he does it :q, while I sit there trying and trying and trying .... and still getting cross threaded crap :-. As much as I hate seeing his head swell :rolleyes:, he is really the master at it :cool:.

:D

Jim

Mobyturns
18th November 2016, 09:02 AM
Well he has had 50 or so years to practice :q

smiife
18th November 2016, 07:40 PM
Maybe we could get the "master " to put up
a video of the process, if we asked nicely:;
cos i for one need all the help i can get..........:U
PLEASE JIM ,!!!!!!!

coffenup