PDA

View Full Version : Not just a screw loose but now actually missing

WaggaSteve
19th November 2016, 10:06 AM
Yes I know I have had a screw loose for years but now its gone. On the tail stock of my 1995 Jet 1236 lathe, the screw that locks the handle to the tailstock has disappeared. As a result, the tailstock handle just spins and no movement of the quill. Anybody have any idea of the size of this (looks like its an embedded allen screw (no I dont know right nomenclature) and as importantly, where I could get one. I am near Newcastle in NSW. TIA

Big Shed
19th November 2016, 10:14 AM
Any bolt supplier would be able to sell you a grub screw for this. As the grub screw is missing (or is it perhaps still in there but not tightened?) you should be able to take the handwheel off and take it with you to the bolt place.

My guess would be either 3/16 UNC or 5mm metric, but could also be 1/4 UNC or 6mm metric.

WaggaSteve
19th November 2016, 10:59 AM
Thank you - Cant get the handwheel off (scared to bang too hard) but nothing stopping me from taking the whole tailstock. I'll give them a try on Monday

stevew
22nd November 2016, 05:26 AM
Try Blackwoods at Wickham ,they should be able to fix you up with what you are looking for.
Cheers
Steve