PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning Cruise 2018

Hardenfast
19th November 2016, 11:54 AM
Thought about the last one but the timing was not good. Have now booked the 2018 cruise and am looking forward to seeing a little of Norway and enjoying some demos (and more) from a few talented practitioners - all while cruising around the fjords.

Any feedback and/or advice by previous attendees would be well regarded.

Wayne

Woodturning Cruise (http://www.woodturningcruise.com/en/)

Lyle
19th November 2016, 06:33 PM
You won't regret the trip. My only advice is to take sea sickness medicine. The ship is an old car carrier and it rocks and rolls.
And if you like a tipple be aware it is a dry ship run by a church school as training vessel. So we took our own "bottled tea" �� aboard and were very discrete in partaking an afternoon imbibe. ��
Good food. Fantastic scenery. Fantastic side trips. Inspirational turners.
Jealous as heck.
Say hello to Odd Eric and crew.
If you want more info pm me and we can talk.
Lyle

Hardenfast
20th November 2016, 08:33 AM
Thanks for that Lyle. We're really looking forward to it it for all the reasons you mention.

The "dry ship" part won't worry us at all. My wife and myself are both teetotalers - always have been. As long as there's a cup of tea and/or a can of coke available we'll be OK. The seasickness thing is a bit of a concern but with your heads up we will come prepared. I guess it depends on the weather and conditions at the time as well.

Very interested in the side trips/excursions as well. There's no info posted yet as to the content of these, so would be keen to hear your experiences and suggestions on these options. Did you go on the 2016 cruise? It's a long way to book ahead at our age. Hopefully everything will work out OK.

Regards - Wayne

wheelinround
20th November 2016, 08:56 AM
Wayne just remember :worthless: or will be.

The cheaper alternative is Turnfest (http://turnfest.com.au/) and no sea sick pills required. :p

pommyphil
20th November 2016, 10:15 AM
Wayne, I was on the 2011 cruise and never saw a swell. Yes the boat is a tub but mostly in sheltered waters, up and down fjords,etc.

A lot of the courses were "first in best dressed" so be active when you first get aboard.

Enjoy it :) Phil.

Hardenfast
20th November 2016, 02:42 PM
Yes, will take plenty of pics Ray. The adventure is as much for the opportunity to see another part of the world - Norway and the fjords - as it is to watch the turning demos. And of course being a professional builder and woodworker it's a valuable learning experience - therefore a legitimate business expense. Yes? Yes!

Haven't thought about Turnfest before but it looks interesting. Have you been? You're a local now, right?

Wayne

Hardenfast
20th November 2016, 02:47 PM
Thanks Phil.

You must have been around my age when you did the cruise in 2011. Any difficulties or suggestions? Thanks also for the advice on booking the various courses early. They have a knife making course where you make a knife to keep during the duration of the cruise. That sounds good. They haven't opened up any courses or excursions for booking yet but I'll keep my eye on the options.

Wayne

Lyle
20th November 2016, 04:49 PM
I'll post some pics tomorrow. And of the knife I made.
You'll have a great time. We were going full on most days.
But what a bloody beaut time.
We took time before the cruise to trip around the UK. Then by train after the cruise to Oslo.
Also fantastic.
Lyle

Lyle
21st November 2016, 08:07 AM
knife photos. a kit basically. we made the handle from a blank, fitted the shaft, then made the sheath.400205400203 400205
a great short project.

Lyle
21st November 2016, 10:19 AM
more photos to whet your appetite. sorry for not having any of the inside ship woodturning action. I have some somewhere but they are obviously put somewhere safe...400224400214400215400216400218400219400220400221400223400213

Hardenfast
22nd November 2016, 09:19 PM
Liking the concept more and more with your images, Lyle. Many thanks. Even the wife is looking forward to it.

I'm guessing that's you in the 9th image? Seems to me it would be worth it for the scenery alone. Weather was fairly mild? Probably not a lot to learn in the knife making course, but why not give it a go?

Regards - Wayne