PDA

View Full Version : router advice

Keith McCarthy
1st September 2005, 09:08 PM
I originally posted this in another section, but got only silly replies. I'm moving up to a 1/2 inch 2-3 hp router and would appreciate any advice. I'm considering a De Walt 625, an Hitachi M12V, or a Makita 3612C. Most of the use will be in the table, with some freehand work. Any pros or cons for these 3? Also, some writers seem to think a round base preferable (for rotating around corners etc), while others don't think this is even worthy of mention. What do you think? Thanks, Keith.

Auld Bassoon
1st September 2005, 09:14 PM
I originally posted this in another section, but got only silly replies. I'm moving up to a 1/2 inch 2-3 hp router and would appreciate any advice. I'm considering a De Walt 625, an Hitachi M12V, or a Makita 3612C. Most of the use will be in the table, with some freehand work. Any pros or cons for these 3? Also, some writers seem to think a round base preferable (for rotating around corners etc), while others don't think this is even worthy of mention. What do you think? Thanks, Keith.
Hi Keith,

I think much of this has been covered before, but for table use, go with the Triton as it obviates the need for a router lift. As for hand-held, I have both the Bosch GOF1300ACE and the DeWalt 625; after some experimentation, the DeWalt now lives in my WoodRat, and I use the Bosch for H/Held work. Very nice machine, soft start and variable speed, accurate and easy depthing.

Cheers!

outback
1st September 2005, 09:16 PM
We have a special on silly replies this month. Just get back if you want one.

In the meantime, you don't mention the Triton, seems funny as you are looking at a top end router.

Otherwise the 3612c would get my vote.

I like a base with a flat face, gives you a definite reference for running along fences. Not neccasary, IF the bit is centrally located in a truly round base, if not you will have troubles.

Now you let me know about the silly answer, I have one ready to go, OK.

Gumby
1st September 2005, 09:30 PM
I originally posted this in another section, but got only silly replies.

What absolute crap !

You got several replies which all gave you advice. If you don't wish to take take it on board then so be it but do not castigate those who are trying to help. You were told the Triton was the best for under table mounting. Whether you agree or not isn't important. Perhaps you'd be better off on another forum. :mad:

Auld Bassoon
1st September 2005, 09:40 PM
What absolute crap !

You got several replies which all gave you advice. If you don't wish to take take it on board then so be it but do not castigate those who are trying to help. You were told the Triton was the best for under table mounting. Whether you agree or not isn't important. Perhaps you'd be better off on another forum. :mad:

Cor! Gumby! Mate! PMS or what?http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Cheers!

doug the slug
1st September 2005, 09:40 PM
i end to agree with gumby here even if not the way he said it, just becauss someone doesnt like the answer they get it doesnt mean its silly. after allif they know the answer they are looking for why ask the question in the first place

Gumby
1st September 2005, 10:05 PM
Cor! Gumby! Mate! PMS or what?http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Cheers!

Sorry mate but if you check the previous thread, there isn't one 'silly' reply on there. This post just got right up my nose. Help was freely given - no need to throw it back in their faces.

Bulli
2nd September 2005, 12:06 AM
What absolute crap !
Perhaps you'd be better off on another forum.

Blimey. Now that's some real 'routing' advice.

Seriously though Keith, from what I've read (and I'm thinking about it myself) the Triton is pretty much thought of as being one of the best under the table.

I'm holding off until GMC/Triton release their new products. They might have a nice little hand held 1/4" so I can keep the old Makita 3600BR in the table.

Bulli

Gumby
2nd September 2005, 10:04 AM
Seriously though Keith, from what I've read (and I'm thinking about it myself) the Triton is pretty much thought of as being one of the best under the table.

Oh dear me, another 'silly' reply :rolleyes:

Sturdee
2nd September 2005, 11:57 AM
Some writers seem to think a round base preferable (for rotating around corners etc), while others don't think this is even worthy of mention. What do you think? Thanks, Keith.

Actually I prefer to use a square or rectangular base. Easier to get into those corners. :D

Peter.

outback
2nd September 2005, 01:49 PM
Actually I prefer to use a square or rectangular base. Easier to get into those corners. :D

Peter.

Mongrel, took me few seconds to get it. In the end the big ceesy grin gave it away.

Gumby
2nd September 2005, 01:55 PM

Peter.

I have a set of square router bits for corner work :rolleyes:

brucen
2nd September 2005, 02:29 PM
Oooo, cool. Didn't know you could get those!! Havta get me some, I have a few blind dado's to cut and they will definately save using the chisel :D:D:D :P

Cheers
Bruce

Sturdee
2nd September 2005, 05:10 PM
Oooo, cool. Didn't know you could get those!! Havta get me some, I have a few blind dado's to cut and they will definately save using the chisel :D:D:D :P

Cheers
Bruce

For a dado use your ordinary dado bits, but for a blind dado use the blind bits. :D

Peter.

brucen
2nd September 2005, 05:21 PM
For a dado use your ordinary dado bits, but for a blind dado use the blind bits. :D

Peter.
Ah, of course. But couldn't I just tape over the ordinary bits eyes instead of investing in the blind ones? :D :P

Cheers
Bruce

Grunt
2nd September 2005, 05:22 PM
Typical everyone here is cutting corners.

Now these are silly replies. :D

Gumby
2nd September 2005, 05:25 PM
Ah, of course. But couldn't I just tape over the ordinary bits eyes instead of investing in the blind ones? :D :P

Cheers
Bruce

You can use normal dado bits as blind dado bits if you close your eyes while cutting :)

Sturdee
2nd September 2005, 05:34 PM
You can use normal dado bits as blind dado bits if you close your eyes while cutting :)

.......or turn around and do them behind your back. :D :D :D

Peter.

Gumby
2nd September 2005, 05:35 PM
.......or turn around and do them behind your back. :D :D :D

Peter.

That's what I thought re-sawing was ? :confused:

brucen
2nd September 2005, 05:38 PM
Never thought of that, Thanks Gumby!!

Gumby
2nd September 2005, 05:42 PM
Never thought of that, Thanks Gumby!!

No probs, happy to assist. I don't want to be accused of putting up silly posts ;)

outback
2nd September 2005, 05:51 PM
I hang my head in shame.

Whilst I thought I could come up with as silly an answer as anyone, I find I am in the company of King Silly and his troup of silly Billy's.

Silly me.

Gumby
2nd September 2005, 05:52 PM
I hang my head in shame.

Whilst I thought I could come up with as silly an answer as anyone, I find I am in the company of King Silly and his troup of silly Billy's.

Silly me.

now THAT'S a silly reply :D

doug the slug
2nd September 2005, 06:00 PM
I'm holding off until GMC/Triton release their new products. They might have a nice little hand held 1/4" so I can keep the old Makita 3600BR in the table.

Bulli

i use my triton router under the table and my old makita 3600br for handheld. its great to have it out of the table fulltime again at last. while i am very impressed with the triton router itself ive found the fence arrangement for freehand work to be a piece of $h!t. the subbase warps when you tighten the fence clamps. have any other users noticed this?

Sturdee
2nd September 2005, 06:03 PM
That's what I thought re-sawing was ? :confused:

Now that is silly, you can't re-saw if it hasn't been sawn. :D And for sawing you need a TS.

And we all know that a TS is the centrepiece of a shop so I prefer one with a round table top so it can be in the centre. :D

Peter.

doug the slug
2nd September 2005, 06:20 PM
I prefer one with a round table top so it can be in the centre. :D

Peter.

then you wouldnt need a circle cutting jig

Sturdee
2nd September 2005, 06:26 PM
I hang my head in shame.

Silly me.

As in another thread helpful advice was considered silly surely these answers are helpful. :D All we are doing is addresing a specific queerie.

Peter.

Gumby
2nd September 2005, 06:27 PM
Now that is silly, you can't re-saw if it hasn't been sawn. :D And for sawing you need a TS.

And we all know that a TS is the centrepiece of a shop so I prefer one with a round table top so it can be in the centre. :D

Peter.

Can I come and sit around it ? I'll be Lancelot or maybe Sir Routalot :D

(can we consider the hijack complete now ?)

Sturdee
2nd September 2005, 06:34 PM
then you wouldnt need a circle cutting jig

But how can you cut circles with square bases and bits. :D

Peter.

Sturdee
2nd September 2005, 06:36 PM
Can I come and sit around it ? I'll be Lancelot or maybe Sir Routalot :D

(can we consider the hijack complete now ?)

Ofcourse you can come , you can be Sir Gumbelot.

Peter.

outback
2nd September 2005, 07:48 PM
As in another thread helpful advice was considered silly surely these answers are helpful. :D All we are doing is addresing a specific queerie.

Peter.

AHHH, the old double negative trick. :D

Does this mean a spindle molder makes brie?

Does your round table saw have a square blade, or do you just cut circles.

I though re-sawing was when you picked the scab off. :D

Sturdee
2nd September 2005, 08:15 PM
Does this mean a spindle molder makes brie?

Can't help you there mate as I don't have one of those, yet. :D

For that I use a Triton router with a rectangular grey base plate compliments of the Triton router table.

Now we are back on topic, silly me. :D :D :D Recommending the Triton router of course the rest is all good advice.

Peter.

Bulli
2nd September 2005, 08:28 PM

Reminds me of when I was in the Navy and young blokes would be sent down to the store for some striped paint. Or a long weight.:D

Silly.

Sorry.

Bulli.

echnidna
2nd September 2005, 08:59 PM
Remember an apprentice who got sent for a bucket full of 1/2" holes.
So he got a new bucket and a 1/2" bit and returned with a bucket full of 1/2" holes.
The Brass were not amused.
Banned all jokes.
Jokes started up again the following week.

doug the slug
2nd September 2005, 10:03 PM
Reminds me of when I was in the Navy and young blokes would be sent down to the store for some striped paint. Or a long weight.:D

Silly.

Sorry.

Bulli.

i remember a young lad in the army being sent to the Q store for a pilot light. he returned and told us that the quartermaster said all the pilot lights had gone outhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd September 2005, 11:18 PM
As a teen I spent some time in a joinery. The foreman was resetting a moulder and asked me to get his LH shifter from the shop. Not being totally green, I told him to stuff it. In the nicest possible way, of course.

After demoting me to whacking the side of the cyclone bin with a stick every 5 mins for the rest of the day, (yes, this was a real job and needed doing else it blocked... usually done by the shop idjut) he went and got it himself.

Whoops! :o

Gumby
2nd September 2005, 11:21 PM
Won't Mr McCarthy be surprised when he eventually logs back on to get his 'non silly' advice :D :D :D :D

doug the slug
2nd September 2005, 11:31 PM
Won't Mr McCarthy be surprised when he eventually logs back on to get his 'non silly' advice :D :D :D :D

i reckon the other thread he started had better "non-silly " advice, even if i didnt contributehttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

but this thread is funnierhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

doug the slug
2nd September 2005, 11:34 PM

Cheers
Bruce

Personally, i leave the blind dados till late at night when ive had at least 18 beershttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

Grunt
2nd September 2005, 11:42 PM
If you don't have a blind dado bit, you can use a normal one and when your finished cutting the dado, poke it in the eye.

ele__13
2nd September 2005, 11:47 PM

Peter.

Is that like seesawing ?????? hmmmm who let the widgets out lol jules

Sturdee
3rd September 2005, 12:15 AM
hmmmm who let the widgets out lol jules

That was Mr. McCarthy. :D He wanted to know what we think. :confused:

Enlightening ? yes. Entertaining ? yes. Informative ? yes. Helpful? Definitely. :rolleyes:

Peter.

Sturdee
3rd September 2005, 12:21 AM
How come we use a straight saw to cut circles and a circular saw to cut straight?

That's the mystery of the century Doug. :D

You'd think that circular saws would cut circles and straight saws would cut straight.

However even more puzzling is why don't circular saws have circular bases?

Peter.

Swagman
3rd September 2005, 01:30 AM
If you ran your router in reverse, that would sharpen the bit rather than blunt it wouldn't it?

Routers need a reverse button like drills do!

Do you think I might make a lot of money by suggesting this to router manufacturers?

:D

Jeff

doug the slug
3rd September 2005, 01:36 AM
That's the mystery of the century Doug. :D

You'd think that circular saws would cut circles and straight saws would cut straight.

However even more puzzling is why don't circular saws have circular bases?

Peter.

well i suppose we can do the whole lot seeing its quiet, ill start.

how come if you send it by ship its called cargo and if you send it by car its called a shipment?

brucen
3rd September 2005, 02:14 AM
You know, I am sure that my router spins clockwise when handheld and anti-clockwise when in a table...is the the same effect as a drain in the northern & southern hemispheres? What would happen if I took my router to the States? :D :D :D

doug the slug
3rd September 2005, 11:38 AM
What would happen if I took my router to the States? :D :D :D

Good question, they have lower voltage power, so it would probably turn at about half speed. this would be good for people with single speed routers who want to use larger bits http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif For the price of a new variable speed router they could probably fly to hawaii, do the job and fly back

Stuart
3rd September 2005, 04:01 PM
I keep finding my blind dado's cane gets in the way.

Gumby
3rd September 2005, 04:38 PM
I keep finding my blind dado's cane gets in the way.

Not silly enough. It hasn't even moved the needle on the Sillometer. Please try again. ;)

Sturdee
3rd September 2005, 05:13 PM
You know, I am sure that my router spins clockwise when handheld and anti-clockwise when in a table...is the the same effect as a drain in the northern & southern hemispheres? What would happen if I took my router to the States? :D :D :D

If you take it to the northern hemisphere it would work the opposite way, something to do with being closer to the north pole.

But what happens if you put it in a horizontal table jig, does it spin sideways only or does it spin sideways and then up and down. :confused:

Peter.

Gumby
3rd September 2005, 05:17 PM
If you take it to the northern hemisphere it would work the opposite way, something to do with being closer to the north pole.

But what happens if you put it in a horizontal table jig, does it spin sideways only or does it spin sideways and then up and down. :confused:

Peter.

If you had a jointer at the North pole, could you use magnets to align the blades ?
Or don't magnets work there :confused:

doug the slug
3rd September 2005, 05:27 PM
if we took our routers to the northern hemisphere, would we need to turn our sturdee cyclone buckets upside down so they still remove sawdust instead of spitting it back at us

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd September 2005, 08:31 PM
if we took our routers to the northern hemisphere, would we need to turn our sturdee cyclone buckets upside down so they still remove sawdust instead of spitting it back at us

http://members.optusnet.com.au/%7Eamcardle60/Smilies/upsidedown_biggrin.gif ipeatsui umop-ap!sdn 3SOH eh tunoW ihse3

doug the slug
3rd September 2005, 08:43 PM
http://members.optusnet.com.au/%7Eamcardle60/Smilies/upsidedown_biggrin.gif ipeatsui umop-ap!sdn 3SOH eh tunoW ihse3

Skew!!!! you have too much time on your hands, get a hobby http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

ele__13
3rd September 2005, 08:52 PM
Oh dearie me !!!!! hehehhehehe thats good but wat r u guys goingt o think of next talk soon jules :D:D:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd September 2005, 09:57 PM
Skew!!!! you have too much time on your hands, get a hobby http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

The neighbours from 4 lots in every direction complain when I fire up my toys at this time of night. :(

Hmmm... I wonder... if I fire up my new dusty as well as the triton I wonder if I can make it 5? I might try for a new record later tonight. :D

doug the slug
3rd September 2005, 10:18 PM
The neighbours from 4 lots in every direction complain when I fire up my toys at this time of night. :(

Hmmm... I wonder... if I fire up my new dusty as well as the triton I wonder if I can make it 5? I might try for a new record later tonight. :D

Neighbours complaining? is that what they are saying at 10pm when they turn up here? i cant hear a thing they say over the noise of the toys

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th September 2005, 01:27 AM
Neighbours complaining? is that what they are saying at 10pm when they turn up here? i cant hear a thing they say over the noise of the toys

It's not me they complain to. Every minute their convo on the doorstep lasts I pay for with an hours' suffering. [sigh]

Ele, wrong question: "wat r u guys going to think of next?" It's when we don't think that we come up with new things to talk about... :o
s