PDA

View Full Version : Is there a default grain orientation for turned boxes?

rtyuiop
22nd November 2016, 12:13 PM
Hi folks,

Just been playing around some with starting turning boxes, and I'm wondering - is there a 'default' grain orientation for boxes as there is for bowls and spindle work, or is it entirely down to the whim of the turner and the shape of the individual box?

I'm tempted to put together some segmented blanks to bypass the issue entirely!

Cheers,

Danny

Sawdust Maker
22nd November 2016, 12:30 PM
normally longitudinal

ie with the grain running from top to bottom - idea is that it is less likely to warp
but I've seen them done both ways - whatever takes your fancy

pommyphil
22nd November 2016, 12:36 PM
:whs:

rtyuiop
22nd November 2016, 01:10 PM
That makes sense! I struggle enough with getting a good lid fit, I might stick with longitudinal for now. Even if hollowing end grain isn't really one of my favourite activities...

flyinlee
22nd November 2016, 01:36 PM
I like turning side grain just for the looks but you do have to make the fit a little looser because it will change at the end grain and stick.

artful bodger
22nd November 2016, 02:52 PM
As a rule of thumb.
If the length/height is larger than the diameter then longitudinal.
If diameter is larger than length then side grain.
However it is a free world and there are no wood turning cops who are going to bust you if you choose otherwise.

Sawdust Maker
22nd November 2016, 06:42 PM
If you're having trouble see if you can find a Richard Raffan video on the subject

powderpost
22nd November 2016, 09:28 PM
Normally lidded boxes are turned so that the grain is vertical, if turned horizontally the box is liable to become an oval shape so that the lid will only fit one way. Small boxes (under about 50mm) MAY not be a problem. Slip fit lids will also become loose or tight as the weather changes. This is the reason I like to thread the lid.

Jim

rtyuiop
25th November 2016, 09:32 AM
Threaded boxes will probably be where I end up assuming I can develop the necessary skills, Jim!

BTW, finally got enough DO onto the box that provoked this question to call it finished. It's only intended for use around the house (holding sachets of drinking chocolate) so I was very lazy and didn't bother fixing the top of the lid...

http://rtyuiop.net/workshop/maple-silkwood-box.jpg

Cheers,

Danny

flyinlee
25th November 2016, 12:15 PM
I use only dry, about 8%, timber and do them both ways. I have 3" and 4.5"timber drying all the time. I sell a lot of boxes.
Cheers

Mobyturns
26th November 2016, 04:27 AM
Normally lidded boxes are turned so that the grain is vertical, if turned horizontally the box is liable to become an oval shape so that the lid will only fit one way. Small boxes (under about 50mm) MAY not be a problem. Slip fit lids will also become loose or tight as the weather changes. This is the reason I like to thread the lid.

Jim

Buggar, I've been turning them wrong all these years, I should have been using the drill press.:D

Jokes aside, mostly they are turned with the grain in spindle orientation, and less frequently as face grain orientation, or even segmented for glue pot addicts :rolleyes: