PDA

View Full Version : big Premo bandsaw

AndrewOC
22nd November 2016, 04:37 PM
Hi ol machine buffs!
A recent purchase was this Premo bandsaw. Probably 1940 to 1960?? No actual makers name; Premo appears to have been a name used by Goodall's on bespoke machines.
Overall height about 2.3m, 30" throat.
Heavy...

Motor is a good old 'Brooks' 415v, 2.5hp. Hopefully it can be run off a vfd, unless there are other ideas.
cheers,
AndrewOC

Hardenfast
22nd November 2016, 09:25 PM
Nice to see one of these older bandsaws with all guards attached and in good shape. Too many of them, including my old project, have none fitted at all.

lightwood
24th November 2016, 10:00 PM
Premo .... nice stuff!

Matty (L.S.Barker1970) has a Premo 4 side moulder.
Here are a couple of clips of it running a picture moulding, pretty certain it was for it's maiden run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxX-XoGWqac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_hWuar77jk

Cheers,
Peter

AndrewOC
26th November 2016, 11:59 AM
Nice to see one of these older bandsaws with all guards attached and in good shape.
The bottom one (with name), is cast iron, the top is fab sheetmetal.
"my old project, have none fitted"
Is there any details you need? I won't be down there for a while, but can put it on my list of things to do.
regs,
A.

Ironwood
26th November 2016, 04:41 PM
I have an old Premo table saw sitting in one of the sheds, needs an overhaul badly, I will get to it one day.

I bought an old 20 foot shipping container for $1000, when I went to pick it up, the bloke said " there was an old saw bench sitting in that one, do you want it too ?". Yes, I said, and couldn't get it on the back of the truck quick enough. Was worried he would change his mind. Only trouble was he couldn't find all of the power feed unit that he said was fitted to it.

CatScott
28th November 2016, 12:41 PM
Motor is a good old 'Brooks' 415v, 2.5hp. Hopefully it can be run off a vfd, unless there are other ideas.
cheers,

If you intend to run it off 240V single phase, check to see if the motor is wired for delta. The motor ID plate should have a triangle symbol in the voltage section a bit similar to this. If it does then all should be fine to run it off a vfd.

AndrewOC
9th December 2016, 01:32 PM
The motor ID plate should have a triangle symbol in the voltage section a bit similar to this...

Yes that was the hope!
However, my motor's plate has about the least info I have ever seen;

Next step, study the junction box etc.
regs,
AndrewOC

Bart
14th August 2017, 07:23 PM
I just bought one similar :)