PDA

View Full Version : The next in the queue....

fletty
30th November 2016, 09:36 PM
A few weeks ago ROKOUT asked if anyone had any African mahogany for the noble cause of restoring the dashboard of an early Porsche 911.....

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f275/buy-qtr-sawn-african-mahogany-208806

My next project, a marble topped wine dresser was also to be made of sapele and so I offered a piece to ROKOUT but that's where the fun began. My stash of sapele has been in 'deep storage' for a looong time and it has taken much longer than expected to get it back but, today the first 2 planks arrived....

One is 4200 X 50 X 430 and the other even wider at 4200 X 50 X 470.

The dresser will be fun but not as much fun as a RESTORED 911!

fletty

crowie
30th November 2016, 10:24 PM
Got my attention...car resto and woodwork with the gentleman woodworker...has to be good!!

ian
1st December 2016, 03:37 AM
The dresser will be fun but not as much fun as a RESTORED 911!especially as the mahogany in the 911 should be laminated veneers

wheelinround
1st December 2016, 07:55 AM
Ah it has risen from the depths nice planks/boards Alan.

Rokout's thread is closed so can't comment there.

Solid wood dash will over time will/possibly warp and twist as well as split faster than veneer, the ply structure gives strength, reduces shrinkage, splitting in our heat and European winters where heaters are used. I'll pm him are you sending it up to him Alan? or some.

Looking forward to seeing the project using that Afgan Marbel.:2tsup:

fletty
27th February 2017, 01:11 PM
Today I released the first bit of timber from the lumber! I've had to cut the sapele planks into shorter lengths as even a piece 'only' 1200 long is quite a weight to be manhandling alone on the jointer and saw. This is the first piece that has also had the face dressed....

I've wiped it down with mineral turps and I'm very happy with the grain and minimal number of splits. I've got a mate coming on Thursday to help me convert his WRC outdoor table into a deck handrail with pike and triple somersault (degree of difficulty 3.7?) and he will help me cut and dress the necessary 1800 mm lengths of the sapele for my next project ( although he doesn't know it yet!).

fletty

fletty
11th April 2017, 07:54 PM
This is the next instalment of what will potentially be the World's longest WIP. Those with good memories may remember that I am making a marble topped wine dresser using both a slab of green marble (Afghan Jade) and sapele timber that I have stored for quite a while 'waiting for the right project'.
It is a 'spec' piece and so always takes second place in the shed to commission and 'love jobs'.
I have been looking for antique tiles to complement the jade. It was traditional to have a tile 'splashback' on Colonial and early federation washers and dressers. I can buy modern copies of those tiles....

..... and, although the price is horrific, I only need 4 so it wouldn't be a deal breaker. However, Wheelinround kept his eyes open for me and spotted and purchased this very old dresser headboard in Toowoomba. I now have AUTHENTIC period tiles and a potentially usable headboard for $50

Well spotted Ray!

fletty

wheelinround
16th April 2017, 10:21 AM
Alan thanks for the reminder just took better photos if i can find how to load them from this new gizmo I will. It had to be fumeigated as being in a dairy for 80 years it has all sorts scurrying. Now safe wrapped and in spare root,

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

wheelinround
16th April 2017, 10:30 AM
Alan thanks for the reminder just took better photos if i can find how to load them from this new gizmo I will. It had to be fumeigated as being in a dairy for 80 years it has all sorts scurrying. Now safe wrapped and in spare root,

The two end bits have suffered the ravages of being in a dairy for 80 years. It has been in garbage bags since we got it home heavily fumeigated. It is now back in the bags and in the spare room.410315410316410317410318410319410320410321410322410323410324

NCArcher
16th April 2017, 10:40 AM
Good find Ray. :2tsup: