PDA

View Full Version : Bow In Timber

2nd September 2005, 02:20 PM
Could someone please explain the easiest way to take a bow from timber.I have several lengths of jarrah,about six ft. in length x 3 3/4 x1 3/4.Its hard to find a respectable edge to work from.Your advice would be appreciated.Regards...............AL

echnidna
2nd September 2005, 02:27 PM
I assume they are badly bowed.
Do you have a sawbench?

You can tack a straight board to the jarrah and use that against the saw fence to cut the jarrah straight. Then cut the other side from the newly straightened edge.

What lengths of timber do you need?
If you need shorter lengths you will have less waste as there is less bow over shorter lengths thus you can end up with wider boards.

Gumby
2nd September 2005, 02:29 PM
Could someone please explain the easiest way to take a bow from timber.

The easiest way is with a jointer and a thicknesser.

journeyman Mick
2nd September 2005, 03:04 PM
It depends on what you're doing with it. If you're building you can often force the timber straight with other structural elements. If you're making furniture then you need to dock it roughly to length and then go for it with a jointer or tablesaw. If you haven't planned your project yet I wouldn't touch it but stack it in such a manner that gravity is counterracting the bow.

Mick

2nd September 2005, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the advice fellas,i would like to finish up with six ft. lengths that aren't the size of match sticks.The ammount of bow in the middle is up to 4 to 5 mil.If i use my joiner, do i work the concave or the convex against the fence?...................Al..................just had a look at an old post by Echidna.......that makes sense re the bow,will have a go in the morning!

seanr
4th September 2005, 11:03 PM
how did you go? I am th new owner of a Timbecom 8" jointer (never used one before)and have a few lengths of jarrah like you (50) . I read an old thread on here and was worried about the results i would get . much to my surprise i ended up with a supurb piece of jarrah on my first attempt . My timber was bowed more than 5mm and twisted .